Armor reduction vs armor penetration

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGodzila

03-19-2011

I'm using Tryndamere...and My item build i want to focus on armor penetration.

But then there is the Black Cleaver with 15 armor reduction that stacks 3x...and the Stark's which reduce 20armor on enemies.

Currently a final build for my tryndamere would go:
Berserker greaves
Yoshi blade
Infinity Edge
Divine Sword
Last Whisper
Blood Thirster/Madred's bloodrazor/or something else.

So my concern is with % armor penetration would interfere with other armor penetration items like Divine sword or Yoshi Blade. Or if I decide to throw in a Black Cleaver...it would not benefit me ..because reducing opponent's armor would diminish the effect of my Armor penetration items?

I'm not sure how this all works...but would appreciat guidance as to which items is the way to go for the Most damage i can get.

omgwtflolbbl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2011

% penetration doesn't work well with flat penetration. This is because they are applied in the following order:

Flat Reduction
Flat Penetration
% Penetration

Thus, the higher your flat reduction/penetration, the less useful your % penetration will be. Furthermore, the difference between reduction and penetration is that reduction can take an opponent's defenses to negative values, while penetration cannot. Meaning against an opponent with 40 armor, Black Cleaver and Brutalizer combo (45 armor reduction and 15? armor penetration) will take that target to -5 armor, while it would take a 50 armor target to 0, meaning you waste some stats.

ThanatosAUS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2011

It all gets counted, the current order is Reduction then Pen then %.
So if you hit a tank with 300ar you get your 65 reduction from BC and starks to bring it down to 235 then your runes, masteries and items kick in and last whisper takes off 40% of whats left over.