Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bladeofwill

09-18-2012

TBH I dislike this change. Fleshing out Warwick and Soraka is good, but moving their conflict outside of the Ionian war feels like it changes way too much. So many champions have lore tied to the Ionian War that it seem like it would require a ton of retroactive changes. I also liked the idea that Warwick was a horrible person and supposedly cursed, but his horrible nature itself turned the curse into a blessing for him. Now hes more like Mundo or Viktor who made themselves into monsters, when we have fewer cursed champions in the league (maybe just Varus and Trundle?), and lessens the importance/role of Soraka in his lore.

So I suppose my question is:

Why does Warwick have to get Soraka's blood? Why cant he find the blood of another divine being, preferably one who wouldnt be aware already that he needs their blood, and take it from them?

Topagae

09-18-2012

Lame. Very un-epic. The giant crazy genocidal insane war of Noxus Vs. Iounia is a huge draw and is great framing. This is more like a poorly written myth.

Now you have to re-write Karma cause she was there originally when she fell? And Irelia mentioned it as well I think. It was a tipping point. Also, Singed being his apprentice gave him an nice role I think. Also sorta morbid considering how he got "Promoted."

But this lore specifically is a focal point. Noxus and Ionia are warring. Here's a timeline, some implied, some speculated. All off the top of my head. Noxus kicking **** out of Ionia. Warwick is using death machines to slaughter, VERY WW1 (Mustard gas used) very iconic.

Soraka, being a god of her people, sacrifices her divinity to stop him. AND SHE DOES. He is a killing machine but one killing machine versus gas that can kill millions (Think WWI again). A worthy sacrifice. Karma sees it, Irelia is in the thick of it. SEEING this carnage causes Riven to desert. Lee sin burns out his fracking eyes in protest of this war. Singed rises to power now that his master went ****balls crazy.

They've taken the flashpoint of a story out of continuity and replaced it with a bad version of a fairy-tale /myth. And now we got loose ends, a poor framing device. Weaker characters, weaker story for a lot of characters. And a lot of just doesn't make sense. Especially since they specifically had Noxus v Ionia matches BECAUSE THIS STORY EXISTED. Because they hated each other. Because of the atrocities. What happened now? Sure they might still hate each other. They might've still had a war. But it's not as powerful of a story now.

And to me, the story is everything. I miss those league judgements and the chronicle. A lot. And now they're butchering the lore. I imagine to make it less complicated for new users.

Edit: So yea, Warwick literally tears into Soraka dozens of times until she dies. Like, all the time in the league. And then she comes back and he does it again. Is he just too dumb to carry around containers for her blood?

RiotRunaan

Writer

09-18-2012
9 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
How does Soraka feel about Zyra? Yes, Zyra is a living being, but she's got a deeply-rooted (ha!) selfishness and desire to conquer about her, who killed another being to magically consume them and take their form, whatever the hell that means.

What is Soraka's new role in the Noxus-Zaun-Ionia war?

Does Soraka always fight so poorly?

How does Warwick feel about Vladimir? They're both "blood hunters" in a way.

Do they have any sort of rivalry, say over a simpering pouty brunette female character like, say, Olivia, the ex-secretary to the eternally grumpy LB Briskes? (Sorry, couldn't help myself there. :P )
I think she'd find Zyra fascinating--she's a unique creature, much like Soraka herself. Zyra's need to conquer, though, is dangerous and Soraka would put a stop to it if need be--but perhaps there's a way to change Zyra's feelings about other mortal life. Zyra is a new being--with knowledge and wisdom, at least in Soraka's mind, there might be hope for her.

She connected with the Ionian people and helped them fight off Noxus, much as she did in her original lore. Perhaps she had an encounter with Singed? Hmm.

Haha. : )

Heh, Warwick and Vladimir could have an interesting kinship. Perhaps Warwick would even consider asking Vladimir to put his "unique talents" to use on a certain celestial being--though he'd have to get over his own ego to do so (I don't see Warwick as the type who would ask for help hunting someone down unless there was good reason to do so).

Sandrockcstm

09-18-2012

Runaan... I feel like you are ignoring the criticisms being leveled against these retcons. I've read through this whole thread (which I never do for any other topic) and 90% of them are constructive, but critical of the stories themselves. There are some serious issues and inconsistencies with these stories, and I'd appreciate it if you would address those of us who took the time to give you feedback. These AMA's are good for clarifying in general circumstances and with new champions, but I think it's obvious to all of us keeping up with this thread that the quality of these new, retconned backstories is so poor that we need to dispense with the normal format and have a brass tacks discussion about quality control.

Dance Dark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

I liked Soraka's old lore because there was both a metaphorical and physical descent from the status of a god. Soraka got involved in mortal affairs by stopping Warwick, and she lowered herself through feelings of hate and spite for Warwick's actions, leading to her physical change away from being a god.

The new lore can do this as well, and I feel that it attempts to with Soraka getting involved in mortal affairs to help ease a human's suffering. But I don't think it emphasizes Soraka's want to prevent pain and death. It seems more like she just wants to help Warwick in particular, instead of preventing pain and death overall. It's not an issue with what happens more than how it's worded.

Also, with Warwick's betrayal alongside this, it seems as though Soraka did a double fail again: she sacrificed her godlike status for Warwick, and then he betrayed her trust. And then it seems like only after this does she move her goals toward helping people, but this shouldn't be the case. It should be that her original goal overall, even with assisting Warwick, was to help people from the start, and she comes to the realization amongst this tragedy that she can do it better in her current form.

So I think things should be reworded to make Soraka's desire to get more involved and her goal to help people (maybe add why she has this goal to enforce its believability) more apparent, and make her desire to help Warwick as a specific individual less so since it leads to ulterior motives (particularly the "She began to grow attached to the grieving man", which could be REALLY misunderstood).

Also, is it possible to make Warwick's plan and situation different so that it's less wordy in Soraka's lore? Really, it takes up a lot of her lore, and that takes away from the depth of her want to care for people and her need to decide between godlike status and little involvement and selfless loss of her power for the sake of helping more people.

SFHFWill

09-18-2012

Ok quick question.

How the heck did Singed know what Soraka's celestrial blood would do?

I mean in the past were there lots of people able to experiment with blood from them? If Soraka is the only one to step foot on Valoran, because she's the only one of her kind, it must mean she's dumb. She had to be stabbed enough in the past for people to figure out the properties of her blood.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot but that's like saying 'Hrmm...know what we need to make our cars go faster? That's right fellow engineers, UNICORN BLOOD!' Just...I dunno man sounds kinda thrown together no offense.

RiotRunaan

Writer

09-18-2012
10 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
1) Does this mean Soraka has always looked the way she has? (A blue skinned unicorn thingamajig)
In her mortal form, yes.

Quote:
2) Is her involvement in the Ionian War going to change? (I.e. Karma, Irelia, etc)
She still participated in the Ionian war as a healer.

Quote:
3) How is this going to affect the Ionian War in regards to timeline? Did this happen before the war, after the war, did Warwick spend years trying to hunt Soraka down in his feral form and hasn't slipped yet? It seems a bit...iffy here.
To be perfectly honest, our timeline has always been iffy, and we've left it purposefully vague in these bios to allow for more stories to be told after Soraka and Warwick's encounter without binding us to a specific passage of time.

Quote:
4) Is he cursed or is it the potion, or is it a combination of the two? I'm a little unclear about that.
It's the potion, but to some degree the potion does bring out his inner beast--as it's meant to unlock the strength and skills he needs to be a vicious, unstoppable hunter, it draws on what already exists within him.

Quote:
5) Since both Warwick and Soraka are in the League, why is it that he can't just drink her blood? I know champs are revived via magic, but I always thought that they're essentially renewed, not have the blood already spilled magicked back into them. Either way, back to the question, does Warwick need to drink her blood, or does Singed need to prepare it in a special manner?
The amount of blood he needs can't really be collected on the Fields of Justice, and yes, Singed does need to prepare it.

YoshioPeePee

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrockcstm View Post
Runaan... I feel like you are ignoring the criticisms being leveled against these retcons. I've read through this whole thread (which I never do for any other topic) and 90% of them are constructive, but critical of the stories themselves. There are some serious issues and inconsistencies with these stories, and I'd appreciate it if you would address those of us who took the time to give you feedback. These AMA's are good for clarifying in general circumstances and with new champions, but I think it's obvious to all of us keeping up with this thread that the quality of these new, retconned backstories is so poor that we need to dispense with the normal format and have a brass tacks discussion about quality control.
i think he's getting to them, and will probably comment on one that particularly calls for clarity from him, these statements can all be read as questions afterall: "how would you address this statement?"

keep in mind that even if he doesn't answer, he is not "ignoring" them, Everything said in here is being read and considered by a rioter and not everything people have wrote as commentary on the new lore is meant as the type of thing to be responded to anyway, but rather the type of thing you want the rioter to see and consider.

Topagae

09-18-2012

Makes no sense:

If you can't get the blood you need from literally the infinite amount you can get from tearing into a person and splattering blood everywhere. Over and over again. Then logically, you'll never have enough blood because you can collect LESS outside of the field of justice where death is more permanent. Which would be funnier to acknowledge if Warwick just THINKS her blood will cure him. Singed is freaking crazy.

MiaoLong

09-18-2012

I get it now.

Urf was killed by Warwick because Warwick wanted his skin to lure Soraka in with Urf's cute appearance. Who would ever suspect a cute, clawed, fanged manatee like Urfnotwarwick?

On a more serious note, how would Soraka react if confronted with a not evil, but largely destructive force like Cho'Gath or Kha'Zix? Does she seriously think she could reason with them or turn them away from their path? I doubt Void monsters even have a philosophy to be turned from, I bet they're just hungry most of the time.