Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingOfTheAnimes

09-18-2012

I'm indifferent towards the changes to Warwick, but Soraka's old lore was always one of my favorite in the game. I have to be honest, I don't like the new one. Here's why:

In the old lore, Soraka fell because she acted out of anger. She wasn't defending the weak or trying to help the needy, the lore explicitly says she struck out in hatred, in revenge. For that, she fell. It resonates thematically, she fell because she was still all too human. And I really want to stress, it was this exact aspect that I liked about the old lore.

The reason for her fall in the new lore just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. She was acting out of unquestionably good motives, and it just feels like the powers-that-be essentially jumped out from behind a bush and said 'gotcha!'

If I could suggest one change, this is how I would do it: Soraka still gets drawn to earth by one of Warwick's deception, but her powers are weaker on earth. Once she gets close enough, Warwick jumps her and tries to get her blood. This next part is really important: SHE COULD HAVE MERELY USED HER POWERS TO ESCAPE, but instead she is seized by anger at the betrayal and calls down divine lightning or whatever and severely wounds him. Soraka falls. Warwick runs back to Singed, continue as you were.

It just feels so utterly hollow for Soraka to fall because she's 'too good,' because she defends a (to her eyes) innocent from danger. I want her to fall because she's too human.

RiotRunaan

Writer

09-18-2012
7 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
I approve.

Question time!

What does Soraka think of Yordles?
What does Warwick think of Yordles?
Who was Warwick's fake dead wife?
What does Karma think of Soraka?
DId Viktor or Dr. Mundo ever employ Warwick?
How hard can it be to get the blood of Soraka off the Fields of Justice? Doesn't he see her, like, every day?
Does Singed's concoction for Warwick have any relation to his Insanity Potion?
Is that a horn growing out of Soraka's head, or is she just happy to see me?
Are Balefire dire wolves the wolves we see in the Twisted Treeline?
And finally, what do the voices of the stars sound like?

Yeah, it's a wall of questions, but you threw two lores at me at the same time.
1. Soraka thinks yordles are adorable, lovely creatures. I think she'd get along well with most of them, as they share the same sort of positive outlook on the world.
2. Warwick thinks yordles are delicious.
3. An Ionian woman from a nearby village.
4. I'm sure Viktor and Dr. Mundo definitely employ Warwick often.
5. It's not that easy--he'll have to kill her.
6. No, his Insanity Potion is a different... beast? :| Perhaps that's not the best terminology.
7. It's a horn growing out of her head!
8. Nope, Balefire dire wolves are probably a lot more threatening than those guys.
9. I wouldn't know, I'm just a mortal. It's likely something Soraka can't describe--they're more than "voices," they're a sort of impulse and powerful force that pushes or pulls in a certain direction.

RiotRunaan

Writer

09-18-2012
8 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeorg View Post
Does this mean Karma's lore, specifically her league judgment, is no longer canon?
Good question--kitae will have to speak to this, I'll get her to drop in when she can.

Larcent

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheAnimes View Post
I'm indifferent towards the changes to Warwick, but Soraka's old lore was always one of my favorite in the game. I have to be honest, I don't like the new one. Here's why:

In the old lore, Soraka fell because she acted out of anger. She wasn't defending the weak or trying to help the needy, the lore explicitly says she struck out in hatred, in revenge. For that, she fell. It resonates thematically, she fell because she was still all too human. And I really want to stress, it was this exact aspect that I liked about the old lore.

The reason for her fall in the new lore just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. She was acting out of unquestionably good motives, and it just feels like the powers-that-be essentially jumped out from behind a bush and said 'gotcha!'

If I could suggest one change, this is how I would do it: Soraka still gets drawn to earth by one of Warwick's deception, but her powers are weaker on earth. Once she gets close enough, Warwick jumps her and tries to get her blood. This next part is really important: SHE COULD HAVE MERELY USED HER POWERS TO ESCAPE, but instead she is seized by anger at the betrayal and calls down divine lightning or whatever and severely wounds him. Soraka falls. Warwick runs back to Singed, continue as you were.

It just feels so utterly hollow for Soraka to fall because she's 'too good,' because she defends a (to her eyes) innocent from danger. I want her to fall because she's too human.
And now a new forum rivalry -- those who were upset because Katarina's new lore gave her flaws vs. those who are upset because Soraka's new lore removes hers.

Fight, fight, fight!

(For the record, I liked Soraka's old flaw too, and dealing with it was going to be the focus of a story I had been planning.)

Seth Lightheart

09-18-2012

I like it to be honest. I know a lot of people will cry, but I think its cool..... however..... I do have a request. Make one of these guys into your new judgments!

Larcent

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
5. It's not that easy--he'll have to kill her.
He kills her frequently on the fields of justice, though.(At least he does when I'm her summoner)

Just repeating my last suggestion. Consider the idea of Warwick needing regular infusions of Soraka's blood to stay mentally stable. It deals with the unresolvable mystery deadline issue in his lore.

Seth Lightheart

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Good question--kitae will have to speak to this, I'll get her to drop in when she can.
That judgment was always messed up. The lore said he was turned into a wolf at his shop, and the judgment when he was in a giant tank.

Grand Viper

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcent View Post
And now a new forum rivalry -- those who were upset because Katarina's new lore gave her flaws vs. those who are upset because Soraka's new lore removes hers.

Fight, fight, fight!

(For the record, I liked Soraka's old flaw too, and dealing with it was going to be the focus of a story I had been planning.)
I'm still looking forward to it!

KuzAnn

09-18-2012

Since Warwick is now established as an accomplished man hunter, was he ever tasked with capturing Twisted Fate and Graves? Or were there no disgruntled scientists wanting to experiment on them for revenge purposes?

Zkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lightheart View Post
That judgment was always messed up. The lore said he was turned into a wolf at his shop, and the judgment when he was in a giant tank.
Things warp and change in the mind of a champion all the time during league judgments. You misinterpreted that scene.