Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sicksock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

I really don't like the change...

Twillera

09-27-2012

My question. Why are they so bad -___-

But in all honesty, you say WW's story was to raka focused in the first lore, yet now rakas is all WW focused. She sat in forest and hurrpa derrped all day. Her stroy is 100% WW.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

09-27-2012

I think my issue with this lore is that it's both overly complicated and overly simplified (paradox, I know!) in that the story adds far too many unnecessary elements that are confusing and the way that it's presented is not detailed enough to actually make sense without the explanation found throughout this thread.

It doesn't need a lot of changing, just some small edits to kind of make the characters make sense, for example these changes:

Quote:
Warwick, the Blood Hunter

Warwick was once a man revered for his ability to track down human specimens for the darkest types of scientific research. When his ambitions exceeded his physical limits, he drank a dangerous elixir to transform himself into an unstoppable hunter, but his newfound strength bore a heavy price.

Before his transformation, Warwick found his calling as a “procurer” of living test subjects. Known for his cunning deception and ruthless determination, even within the seedy underworld of Zaun he was employed only with a healthy dose of fear and respect. As his reputation grew, so did the demands placed upon him. His clients wanted specimens more rare and dangerous, and his pride demanded that he meet their needs. With a desire and recklessness fitting the city of his birth, Warwick sought technologies able to give him strength that transcended the limits of his human form. Singed, a chemist for whom Warwick had obtained many troubling specimens, told him of a powerful formula. The recipe called for three critical components: tainted silver from the Shadow Isles, the fang of a Balefire dire wolf, and the blood of a celestial being. The first two were easily obtained by a hunter of his prowess, but the third proved a much greater challenge.

Hearing stories of a powerful creature believed to be a child of the stars, Warwick travelled to Ionia, and sought to trap the one called Soraka. Tricked into leaving the safety of her divine sanctuary, at the last minute she discovered his ploy and drove him away with powerful magic. Driven to near madness at his failure, Warwick returned to Singed disfigured and furious. He demanded the chemist create the potion; ignoring Singed’s warning that the results would be unpredictable. The incomplete brew worked, transforming him into a creature both man and wolf, infusing him with raw strength and heightened senses. Exhilarated, he began testing his newfound power but as his instincts became sharper, he could feel himself losing control. Without the celestial blood to stabilize the potion, his human half began slipping away. Though he was able to continue his work, he often failed to bring back his specimens alive. Now he seeks the heart of Soraka to stabilize his transformation before his mind gives way to the feral urges of the beast.

“Eventually the beast catches up with all of us.” – Warwick

Soraka, the Starchild

A healer gifted with the magic of the stars, Soraka holds all living creatures close to her heart. Once a celestial being, she lost her immortality to treachery and entered the world of mortals. So long as evil threatens life in Valoran, Soraka will not allow herself peace.

For hundreds of years, the people of Ionia told tales of a mystic creature deep inside a vale within their island nation. A being born of the stars, who crashed to Valoran long ago and healed the wounded or sick that sought her out. As the rumors grew to stories and the stories to fact, many began to seek the one called Soraka in her enchanted grove. One day, a man called Warwick came to her with the body of his wife, lifeless in his arms. He begged her to heal his wife and although his despair touched Soraka's heart it was too late to save the young woman. As he poured out the story of the attack which had killed his young bride, Soraka sensed great darkness within the man and offered to help ease the pain of his loss. Warwick refused, seemingly unwilling to let go of his grief, but he stayed within her grove to bury his wife and take comfort from Soraka’s presence.

In the coming weeks, the man took up residence in a town near her grove and visited Soraka each day. Soraka was fascinated by the man and how he seemed to heal and change merely from her presence instead of her magic. Despite the darkness that Warwick still harbored in his heart, she began to grow attached to the grieving man. One day, Warwick told her he had found the men who killed his wife. He believed revenge would finally heal his pain - and if he died fighting, he would at least find peace. Though she pleaded with him to stay, Warwick ignored her and left the grove. The voices of the stars warned her not to follow him, but for the first time since she had fallen to Valoran, Soraka had found a calling beyond her grove.

As she stepped into the mortal world for the first time, she felt a great tearing as grove tightened around her. Forcing her way through the barrier, she could feel her celestial form fading as the forest groaned around her at its loss. She still felt the power of the stars within her, but they no longer offered her guidance. Looking back, she saw the light of the grove already beginning to fade, but she resolutely turned away and walked towards the village. As she came to the edge of the forest, Soraka was shocked to find Warwick standing before her with two vile looking men in tow. She sensed the darkness now seething inside him and before she could utter a word, she was desperately fighting for her life. The stars screamed in her mind, and using their power she struck the attackers wildly with a flash of brilliant light. Crying out in terror and shielding their eyes from her divine radiance her attackers backed away, but as they retreated she felt the man she had once called her friend sliding behind her. Warwick sneered as he drove his dagger between her ribs and as her blood spilled, Soraka realized he had fooled her, his story had been a mask for his darkness. Feeling humiliated and betrayed she called once more on the power of the stars, this time with searing light that scorched his flesh as she cursed his cruelty. Warwick dropped his knife and retreated with an agonized howl, leaving Soraka to reflect upon her fate. Though her life had changed, she felt empowered and renewed with a singular purpose. No longer bound to the grove, Soraka set out into the mortal world, vowing to seek out the wounded and protect the helpless.

"The cruelty of one will not blind me to the suffering of many." – Soraka

Icy Prinny

09-27-2012

I've been loving the lore changes ya'll have made, but this one has brought my love for the lore rewrites to a screeching halt.

I was rather upset with all the changes, and now I feel the story between the two is now ruined. The irony is gone, which is what helped make it a good SAD story. Soraka cursing warwick, thinking one would suffer from the wicked parts within their hearts, only to find out Warwick LOVED it, was GOOD.

I don't know -why- you think Warwick's lore was center around Soraka a lot. It wasn't, but it showcased a major life changing element was due to her, as it should. It kept the two locked in lore with one another, in a GOOD way.

You say you didn't like how Warwick's old lore had 'Soraka' all over it, yet I learned more from Soraka's lore about Warwick and just how wicked he was, then his own lore! I'm sorry for being so negtive, but I really feel you guys went about this in the wrong direction. =(

I would be very grateful if you changed it back, and work on lores that need fixing. Such as Kennen, Shen, and Akali as they have almost no backstory to them, as it's mostly just about the order they are in, and not of themselfs.

The old lore was tragic and sad, as just before reaching god hood, she turned to try and do good, but infact went backwards, and the effort had the wrong effect as it HELPED the person she wanted to curse, hammering in even more of how sad of a story she has dealing with Warwick. In the end, it was all for nothing really, which set their lore apart as too many times 'good wins' so to speak.

Also, Soraka is not even mention in Warwicks lore until the end, which felt badly put in. "Oh, and he needs Soraka's heart." with no effort putting into WHY he thinks it would work. It comes across as a badly written way to try and keep warwick tied to Soraka through his lore and hers later.

Poor Richard

09-27-2012

Aregionius, this rewrite is better, but I still don't understand why these characters needed a rewrite in the first place. Originally Soraka's intervention removed a powerful and brilliant individual from Noxian power, forcing him to give up his deadly chemical weapons and flee to the league. He became more powerful as an individual, but lost his sanity and his craft, ultimately reducing the number of people he could kill. This had a major effect on the Ionan/Noxian war, one that is completely forgotten with this rewrite.

Soraka has gone from near-goddess who was willing to give up so much to save her people to a gullible fairy. Warwick has gone from the Deathmaker of Noxus to hired gun. No longer are these characters pivitol, they are inconsequential, and I feel this rework takes much, much more away then it brings in.

On top of this, Runaan tosses away one of my favorite skins in the game with the comment of 'skins aren't cannon'. This one was, and is now pointless. I wouldn't buy a skin of Lux as a half-goat, why did I buy one of Soraka as a full human?

Azithromycin 250

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

09-27-2012

Change the lore back. srsly

DominusAsmodeus

09-28-2012

I don't understand why you felt it necessary to change the quality and long-standing lore of two old-guard champions, into something which seems to me to be much worse. I wish you would change it back. You haven't improved their lore at all IMO, the rework just seems worse. Warwick is as close to a main as I get and I really liked his old lore, and Soraka's as well. The changes don't seem to be an improvement or give us a better look at the characters.

TheLastBaron88

09-28-2012

Not sure that I really like the new direction lore seems to be taking. The roles of Warwick, Singed, and Soraka in the Ionian Wars were what got me interested in the lore to begin with. I don't see why Warwick can't still have been the Deathmaker prior to his transformation, after all, if he is not making poisons, why would he need to hunt for test subjects in the first place? It seems like this foolish trade of reason for power adds more depth of character to Warwick, gives him something more to lament. And of course I think his former mentoring of Singed gave their stories a lot of possibility, maybe leaving Singed with some animosity toward Soraka. Also, removing the genocidal horrors caused by Warwick basically invalidates the Journal of Justice issue wherein he is kidnapped and tortured in retribution. Really I don't hate the new lore in itself, I just don't feel like the old lore should be entirely scrapped. At least in this case, the two stories could really tie in well together, just with Soraka's fall from grace being a little different. It does lend a little more to Warwick that way, I think.

Dallia

09-28-2012

Gonna chime in here and say I don't like the changes either. Liked the old Lore quite a bit better and wish that if you did change it it would only to be to flesh it out a little more instead of changing it because you think its cool. Besides when was changing lore EVER a good idea. After this and the "finale funkeln" fiasco I don't think ill be paying attention to lore anymore, which is depressing because it was one of the better parts of the game to me anyway.

VoidOloth

09-29-2012

<<<RAMBLE WARNING>>>

I dislike the changes and i've left many games when they start changing their back story, it bothers me when we start retconing and rewriting history. There are those of us who really enjoy learning the lore and history and making connections that others don't. When you start changing history it is really annoying, it would be like if we started rewriting history just before a history test, it is not fair =p . You can easily create "new" history with out disrupting old. This new history sorta ruins to me soraka's motivation, originally she is attempting to redeem her self for a moment of failure, a fall from grace. And it was neat how her curse to a degree back fires, the whole story has a lesson of some degree. I would of honestly loved to hear that warwick's reasons for his nature was a dead wife as we never heard much about his past. Changing him from a horrible evil being, into one that once loved, once more a warning lessons. There was so much potential here for deep involving stories. But eh, it's a game and i've found most the time people who run games make changes before really checking to see what the people think, so my words are wasted hehe. just rambling as always.

anyway, I much prefered the old Lore, it made the game deal with "Legends" now we're not, when you look at the rest of the roster it is filled out with major char who changed the course of wars or are the product of legends, the greatest work of a inventor long ago, so on and so forth. The epicness of the char's have always been a draw for me. The Lore has always been a bit thing LoL had over games like DOTA and HoN, and when you start messing with it you'll start pissing off players. I am starting to regreat then hundreds of dollars I spent on this game in riot points if things will get changed just because they think it will be "better". if there is no cannon, it makes it hardened to invest. I loved the news paper and all those neat Lore things but now it is starting to look like we will rewrite with out regard for how invested the players have gotten in the story line. I mean there are groups out there who refuse to play noxuian champs and only play Ionian. whole teams composed of one faction playing custom games against other teams of purely another faction as they make up what the battle is over, resource rights or the like. One thing I am worried about is that LoL is going to rout that so many failed games are going where there is a clear good and clear evil, I for one rather enjoy playing a chars many consider "evil" but have good reasons for what they do. Are swain, talon, kat, darius, draven and the like evil? not really, they live in a city where strength and power are bread and butter, who knows what their history is? how did Noxus get to the way they are, what events drove them to adopt the brutal way of life they have. It is always easy to say a group is evil but fairly much always wrong, everyone does what they believe is correct outside of insanity and even insane people believe they are right we just can't trace their logic back. This is of course all generalization as there will always be exceptions.