Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pelagius

09-18-2012

This question might be a bit difficult to answer.

Do you like waffles or pancakes?

The Vikachu

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amathris View Post
This feels a bit hollow as a motivation. She's an immensely powerful healer with a strong drive to protect those who are suffering, so she turns her talents to League battles. Battles where no matter how grievous the injuries, the participants are in no danger of permanent injury or death. She could be spending that time helping people who will actually die without her aid, and it seems like that would be more in character and generally more productive.
Riot said a while back that they're trying to take the focus off of why champions join the League. I would guess that Soraka struck some sort of deal with the League so in exchange for her participation, they, say, feed a starving village.

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
While I understand your concerns, I'd like to make a few points. First, I think it's a fairly surface-level read to say that the tension between Soraka and Warwick now only has one way to find resolution. Something I've been rolling around in my mind is the notion that Soraka could possibly save Warwick without having to give up her life/her blood for it--perhaps she could use her power to purify him, or heal his mind. The thing is, she might be too stubborn, too jaded, too mortal for that now--she's no longer divine, and with a mortal heart, she's prone to the same darkness that might creep upon anyone else. Perhaps the stars would want her to forgive Warwick, but will she? Can she?

Another small detail: Warwick still has that relationship with his power. He loves his bestial nature, he loves being a monster--what he doesn't love is the loss of his humanity, his wit, his ruthless intelligence that he once relied on perhaps even more than brawn. Warwick doesn't want to become human again--he just doesn't want to become a mindless beast.

Nothing happens in-game because this isn't a conflict that can be resolved on the Fields of Justice. You're right, that type of story doesn't have any tension or complexity, as it'd be over pretty quickly. This is something that is going to have to develop elsewhere. Perhaps Warwick will seek Vladimir's help, as I mentioned might be interesting earlier in this thread. Perhaps someone will capture Warwick and use him as a bargaining chip in exchange for use of Soraka's power, preying on the animosity between them. Perhaps Viktor will offer to help Warwick "stabilize" his transformation with a few mechanical upgrades... after all, feral urges and instinct are a product of his human mind. Who knows?

There are a lot of interesting possibilities where this could develop into complex stories--we don't want everything to begin and end with a character's bio. We want characters that can and will become involved in grander stories, plots, and conflicts. This story between Soraka and Warwick is meant to set the stage for more interaction with the whole of Valoran, not point to a singular resolution.

This would SEEM to indicate you are making good progress on giving us some more Riot approved lore like the JoJ was......GIMME!!!

Seriously, I like the empowering you are doing to Singed by doing this. You made him seem the sloppy seconds after Warwick went feral, but now he is the master chemist and Warwick is a hunter to rival Rengar. He has more experience with his role now than the chemist turned hunter.

Soraka was always weak lore wise and I am not really feeling much change, but hopefully you have her growing from her experience (as you have indicated) and wising up to people's tricks.

My main issue is you screwed up our Warwick RPer......He might have some choice words for ya....HAVE FUN WITH THE RABID WOLFMAN!

I'll just go hide....

salesman134

09-18-2012

I don't really like the lore change it just seems cheesy.

timelordrick

09-18-2012

will singed be getting new lore as well? Seeing as he is no longer Warwick's apprentice.

Dear Urgot

09-18-2012

These lore changes are complete insults to your characters.

Warwick

In his Old Lore he was an alchemist who was highly revered by those of Zaun and feared by those of every where else. He taught Singed everything he knows (Singed knows, not Warwick knows) and although brilliant he had quite the sadistic nature behind his alchemical ingenuity. He was transformed from a falsely refined human to a truly vicious monster by Soraka, and he embraced it! When he became a werewolf, Warwick didn't need to hide behind his toxic products anymore. He finally had a reason to truly show his cruelty. He was in control, his transformation was a blessing as opposed to a curse, and he embraced his newfound brutality.

In the new lore, he's just yet another manipulative b*stard with no redeeming qualities. On top of that, he's now forced to a role of struggling between his former intellect and his current ferocity. He's no longer in control, he's just another generic "werewolf out of control".

So much for not wanting to create more cliches, Riot.

Soraka

Her Original Lore gave her far more depth than the New One does. In the Original she was a transcendent being who, after seeing the carnage and death wrought by Warwick, gave in to her fury and forced his outward appearance to resemble his inward nature. It showed that no matter how powerful you are or what species, anyone can give in to their rage and do drastic things.

Now the New Lore shows her to be someone who "cares too much" and in so doing defied the guiding stars, costing her immortality and favor with the higher powers. She was outcast simply because she was gullible enough to believe in a mortal's fabricated tragedy..

Now I dread what you people will do to Urgot or even Viktor! You, Riot, are starting to lose my respect and trust every day. The only thing keeping me here are the Champions that I have already come to love, but I'm sure the day will come when you change them too drastically for me to even want to bother anymore.

Silver Raven

09-18-2012

Great changes I was a bit reluctant at first, but now I have come to like the new lores

On a totally different subject, ¿May we get a thread to discuss Syndra`s lore and the possibility of changing it a bit? It`s great, but lackluster overall, and I think that if this was possible with Jayce`s Lore (and it ended way better than the original), ¿Why not do the same to Syndra?

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

While the story does have some merit (WW makes a bit more sense now) I think I still prefer the original story as Soraka trying to curse WW is a far more interesting act imo. So while WW seems to have a bit more character Soraka has kinda gone backwards and comes across as boring now imo.

Vulpse

09-18-2012

I like the lore overhaul overall, but there's a couple points I don't like

1)I'm confused about what Soraka did wrong. She is supposed to be a healer, which is what she was doing with Warwick when she thought him innocent. But, her healing him without more direct intervention was only causing more harm than good. Wouldn't it be logical for a goddess of healing to stem the violence, preventing grave harm at the cost of a little pain? I can't see such a goddess, devoted to lessening pain and agony, staying back and letting him die.

2) The line "but she discovered his ploy and drove him away with powerful magic". With the clarification in Soraka's lore, wouldn't this be like saying we discovered a traitor because he shot the general in the head? The first one makes it sound like no harm came to Soraka, but her own lore contradicts it.

3) Own nitpick here: Why does Soraka have to be a fallen being anyways? There's plenty of cases in literature where an otherwise immortal being can be slain in combat, and we have two angels in the League anyways, it even says in lore that Kayle is over 10,000 years old.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is my thoughts.

thegreatestman

09-18-2012

So when is the Human Warwick skin coming out?