Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trolosaurus

09-18-2012

So.... did Warwick basically lose his connection to Singed in terms of alchemy?
Also, now what reason do Soraka and Warwick have to join the League.
I love Warwick alot more now. I felt he didn't feel like a Blood Hunter before, just some dude that looked like a wolf. The new lore makes it fit alot better

Ask Mad Chemist

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
I wanted to address this really quickly - just because Singed is a mad scientist doesn't mean he can't have a moment of compassion for someone he considers his close friend. Singed is a cruel man, but he's still capable of empathy. I think he'd also be something of a perfectionist in this case, as the potion would be a masterpiece--of course he wanted it to work, as it'd be a demonstration of his mastery over his craft.

Good now I have feelings.
Noted.
-Signed Singed.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

09-18-2012
12 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Had to do it.

On a serious note, where does Soraka live? The Placidium (for those who read Ionia's lore) sounds like a very feasible location, with her abandoning her grove-dweller life and moving closer to humans? Or would it be one of the temples scattered around the archipelago?
I think she does a fair amount of wandering, but she calls Ionia her home. I imagine she hangs out at the Placidium plenty.

Dream of Stone

09-18-2012

Regarding Soraka :

Would it be a major inconsistency for her new lore to be born from a human family in Ionia, and managing to ascend to high celestial in her lifetime, like she did in her old lore ?
I'm OK with the change regarding the Warwick encounter, but the full background change, making her centuries old, seems really uncalled for.

Tenronth

09-18-2012

The werewolf potion does not make sense at all.

StriderSwaggins

09-18-2012

How hard is it to get a creative design job with Riot?

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

09-18-2012
13 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrockcstm View Post
Ok, so WW stabs Soraka, and gets blood on his knife... but that's not enough for the potion. Seems a bit sketch to me, but I can accept that.
Granted, we could stand to clarify this a bit in the bio. Good note!

Quote:
What I can't really accept is that this new story adds tension between WW and Soraka. I know that PvP battles aren't exactly considered canon but... as someone else mentioned, these two see each other on the fields of justice all the time. Heck, WW ganking Soraka bot lane happens very often. If the two run into each other, WW is going to kill her (unless he is controlled by an unskilled summoner). This, in my opinion, completely removes any tension this story is supposed to give to the two characters, because their meeting is completely inevitable, and the outcome very obvious. I found it much more interesting before where WW has a love-hate relationship with Soraka, because she cursed him with a monsterous form, but he loves being a monster. The fact that the spell used to transform him into a monster cost Soraka her deity not only makes WW seem more bad-ass (so strong and dangerous she was willing to become mortal to curse him), but also adds characterization and depth to Soraka's character. That's ongoing tension, because we don't know where it'll lead exactly.
While I understand your concerns, I'd like to make a few points. First, I think it's a fairly surface-level read to say that the tension between Soraka and Warwick now only has one way to find resolution. Something I've been rolling around in my mind is the notion that Soraka could possibly save Warwick without having to give up her life/her blood for it--perhaps she could use her power to purify him, or heal his mind. The thing is, she might be too stubborn, too jaded, too mortal for that now--she's no longer divine, and with a mortal heart, she's prone to the same darkness that might creep upon anyone else. Perhaps the stars would want her to forgive Warwick, but will she? Can she?

Another small detail: Warwick still has that relationship with his power. He loves his bestial nature, he loves being a monster--what he doesn't love is the loss of his humanity, his wit, his ruthless intelligence that he once relied on perhaps even more than brawn. Warwick doesn't want to become human again--he just doesn't want to become a mindless beast.

Quote:
This story is pretty childish in complexity. WW wants to kill Soraka, or he loses his mind. Ok... so when WW kills Soraka in a game, why don't we see anything happen? What changes? Further, if he fails to kill Soraka... what would change? Wouldn't he still be a feral monster? Why should I care? How does that change WW or the LoL universe at large?
Nothing happens in-game because this isn't a conflict that can be resolved on the Fields of Justice. You're right, that type of story doesn't have any tension or complexity, as it'd be over pretty quickly. This is something that is going to have to develop elsewhere. Perhaps Warwick will seek Vladimir's help, as I mentioned might be interesting earlier in this thread. Perhaps someone will capture Warwick and use him as a bargaining chip in exchange for use of Soraka's power, preying on the animosity between them. Perhaps Viktor will offer to help Warwick "stabilize" his transformation with a few mechanical upgrades... after all, feral urges and instinct are a product of his human mind. Who knows?

There are a lot of interesting possibilities where this could develop into complex stories--we don't want everything to begin and end with a character's bio. We want characters that can and will become involved in grander stories, plots, and conflicts. This story between Soraka and Warwick is meant to set the stage for more interaction with the whole of Valoran, not point to a singular resolution.

Frost Walrus

09-18-2012

I pretty much hate how Warwick is now generally "I need a way to transform back to a human" instead of the old lore where he was just like "Hey I'm a werewolf, I get to kill people like I enjoy, this is awesome!" It was way more unique and empowering.

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

RiotRunaan, do you know that Divine Soraka exists?

She's supposed to be a Soraka's pre-de-evolution human form.

Also, can I get a reply to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me Soraka View Post
UHHHHHHH!?!....

Does this mean my skin suggestion: Beauty and the Beast, is ALOT closer to reality then it was when i first suggested it?

In Brightest Day

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

Quote:
perhaps viktor will offer to help warwick "stabilize" his transformation with a few mechanical upgrades... After all, feral urges and instinct are a product of his human mind. Who knows?
battlecast warwick, make it happen

riot pls