[Guide] Rammus--Can't Touch This

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brainlizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckywild View Post
I would love to hear more about this, I can see Jungeling as ram working well for the first couple of Levels and it would be a nice way to farm some of my early items. What Runes are you running? What's your creep rotation? What are your starting items? This might be a fun spin on an old champ.

Thanks in advance!
For runes, I don't actually do much special: either kind of red pen rune works (I use armor pen just because they're ~2x as effective, even though you a fair bit of magic damage), then flat armor yellows, whatever blues you like, HP quints.

The basic creep rotation of the blue-buff, wolves, wraiths, red buff, small golems is the best. I complete this just before the 4 minute mark, hitting level 4, which gives me PBALL 2, DBC 1, and Taunt 1. (You level PBall to 2 just for the initial jungle route. After that, it goes the usual taunt > DBC > ball). You can also go wolves or wraiths first, but it means you'll have to smite the blue golem early to get it refreshed by lizard.

For items, you can either go beads or cloth. In my testing, they're virtually identical. The tiny bit of extra dmg from the cloth doesn't matter nearly as much as doing a good job getting your PBalls and DBCs timed right.

Either way, you'll only need 4 pots to actually do all of the creeps, though you'll be very low after the small golems, so until you're familiar with it, I recommend going with 5 or 6 pots.

With the beads, you'll get your 6 pot, which can actually enable you to gank bottom or mid immediately. However, this early gank is a bit tricky, as you wont have your boots yet.

Otherwise, you bluepill, get boots and whatever else you like, and go for a gank. Sometimes, you can actually get two ganks in before your red expires.

After your red expires, covering a lane is ideal. In fact, my best games are those where I only do the initial rotation, and afterward cover lanes and buffs. As soon as you get red, go ganking.

As far as dragon, I go for that after good bottom ganks where we came away relatively healthy. Rammus can't really solo dragon all that well, but he can tank it very well, so a single autoattacker going with you works nicely. Mostly, though, I try to use a ward and my speed to keep them off of it.

Speaking of speed, a lot of what works in jungle-rammus's favor is how quickly he gets around the map.

Oh, and a good tip for mid: if your mid wants to shop and asks you to cover, coming in from the side with ball and do a feint. Unless they actually saw your mid bluepill (which is a mistake by your mid. They should step out of sight first), they pretty much have to blow a ghost/flash under the assumption that your mid will show up any moment. You can then zip back away and cover the lane having cost them a summoner skill Your mid returns, you go get red, you come back and this time they're down an escape :P

Finally, if you look at my ranked record, my rammus stats are bad That's because I used to lane with him! Since jungling, I've been doing a LOT better.

MrKillSpree

09-29-2010

Just went 14/5 with this build, I had:

Tabi Boots, Sunfire Cape, Thornmail,Shurelya's Reverie and Guardian Angel was going Frozen Heart next.

MathMage

10-06-2010

I'm very happily coming off a 14/0/12 game with Rammus. I have to say, I really underestimated his capabilities in a 1v2 lane. He's really good at maintaining the ideal creep line and outdoing the tower for last hits. He soaks damage like a sponge with some extra ranks in DBC early, and regenerates like a troll with Strength of Spirit and <insert starting item here>. Most importantly, you can't tower dive him at any level. I've pulled off triple kills that way. So your opponents have no choice but to sit back and farm, and let you farm, and when you outlevel them 6 to 4 or 7 to 5 it's prime ganking time. Depending on who you're laning against, you can even take them 1v2 at the slightest opportunity. And then you become a monster later in the game.

I've also experimented with jungle Rammus, and found it quite satisfying. I use Doran's + pot instead of Cloth Armor + pots at the moment, just because I'm new to jungling. I take the green path outlined in this Amumu guide (which I highly recommend, by the way). I'm tempted to take wolves before golem just because Rammus does things so quickly that Smite can't keep up. I don't know how he would fare with an opposing jungler, though. It's a map awareness game.

Speaking of map awareness, I've been playing Clairvoyance + Flash on my laning build simply because no one else is taking Clairvoyance. It's wonderful.

I'm going to update this guide based on my recent play, so expect some major changes. It'll get a lot less verbose, for one (I hope!)--by necessity; I'm running up against the character limit as is.

MathMage

11-22-2010

Well, Jungle Rammus is officially the new FotM, and the guide has been adjusted to some extent to reflect this.

Bandel

11-22-2010

Rylais will give him the aoe slow. Its funny.

Pewbacca

12-21-2010

Just wanna say thank you for this awesome guide. My Rammus skills have improved a lot since reading this.

Juantxu

01-02-2011

Thank you for this awesome guide

Skeletor34

01-26-2011

Awesome pun in the conclusion, and a great guide overall. Nice work

El Jobo Loco

06-01-2011

Any updates needed as of June 2011 for the info here?