[Guide] Rammus--Can't Touch This

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

Mathmage... You obviously, didn't read why you pick only archangel or manamune, sorry if I rambeled on 3 inch blackberry screen and all..

Your defense mastery gives you hp regen based on a percent of your mana pool.
You get 1400 or so mana from it, that's 42 HP regen per 5 or more for tear of goddess alone, and after 5 minutes with it you won't even have to think about running out of mana no matter how much u button spam, and late game when you upgrade to AA you boost all your damage abilities. It's something different that's a triple bonus.

MathMage

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrapist27 View Post
Question: you mentioned Rylai's, if you use Tremors with it, does it make you a walking AoE slow? Or does only the first pulse of Tremors (when you activate it) slow enemies?
As far as I know, only the first pulse slows. Considering the number of magic DoTs in the game that Rylai's would break were that not the case...

Tried Null-Magic Mantle in a recent game laning against Mord and Sona; result inconclusive due to the terrible Akali I was laning with, but I often found myself wishing for a little health regen. Of course, had I bought Regrowth Pendant, I might have found myself even lower on health due to the magic damage I was taking. No comment as yet.

It occurred to me that I really should talk a little about how I open games with Rammus. I never waste any time at all at game start. Speed is Rammus' game in the beginning, and he needs to take advantage of it. So I buy my items in the first three seconds, hit ctrl-q or the button as quick as I can, and race to the opponent's brush in the lane. There are very few opponents that can get there before Rammus, even if you only Q once from the fountain to save mana.

If your opponents get to the brush before your partner does, keep your distance and back off. You still win the information war, even though it's a trivial victory, because you know both of them and they only know you.

If your partner gets to the brush before your opponents, great! Set up a skirmish. You want a partner who can do this effectively--Taric stun, Garen twirl, Yi alpha strike even. Put together, you will hit the enemy hard early on--and they'll be hitting you, because you're the one who Q'd into their face. Then you keep up the pressure, because even if you get outdamaged, Regrowth Pendant will put you back together in a minute or two. You can do this even without having raced to the brush--that just makes it easier.

Also, after my last game, special mention has to go to Atma's Impaler. If you're doing well, got your base survivability/health items, but you need to carry the game for whatever reason, this will do it. You become a pushing maniac, you take down tanks, and nobody ever gets away. Nothing says "win" like 500 crit damage to the face from the toughest champion on the team. This will be true of many tanks, but only Rammus gets the extra +11 bonus damage from his passive. *grins*

MathMage

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady2Die View Post
Mathmage... You obviously, didn't read why you pick only archangel or manamune, sorry if I rambeled on 3 inch blackberry screen and all..

Your defense mastery gives you hp regen based on a percent of your mana pool.
You get 1400 or so mana from it, that's 42 HP regen per 5 or more for tear of goddess alone, and after 5 minutes with it you won't even have to think about running out of mana no matter how much u button spam, and late game when you upgrade to AA you boost all your damage abilities. It's something different that's a triple bonus.
Again, you need to reread Strength of Spirit. The bonus mana regen is 0.3%, not 3%. Whether you like Tear and Archangel's or not, they do not improve significantly with your Defense masteries. Not that 4.2 hp/5 is terrible, but it doesn't show up till after you've stacked your spell usage--you might use a hundred spells by level 6, and get an extra 1.2 hp/5. You need HP from level 1. By the time you get it, it's negligible.

You're right that you won't have to worry much about running out of mana. I do run into mana trouble sometimes, so I always get golem whenever we're not in the thick of things. Philosopher's Stone also helps, and on the cheap. But you will have to worry about running out of health early game, and later on Rylai's still does more for your build than Archangel's. Not that you couldn't get them both, of course. 200 AP, 500 health, ~1000 mana, mana regen, and a slow for 6000 gold. Just be careful of the opportunity cost in straight survivability items like Frozen Heart, Warmog's, Banshee's, GA etc.

brainlizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2010

Rammus is best played as jungle to level 4, gank with double buffs, spell a lane, then grab red buff and go gank again.

After that, do the usual jungler thing: if a gank is open, go for it. Otherwise, control the buffs and wraiths. Do note that rammus doesn't scale well on jungling because DBC doesn't scale well dmg-wise. He's best used as gank-focused jungler because of the awesome PBall+taunt+redbuff combo. Very hard to escape.

As far as items, I love omen, merc treads, visage, veil and aegis on rammus. Super hard to kill with those items, and you bring great utility with omen + CDR to spam your abilities. Obviously, if the other team isn't balanced well, mod the build.

I'm a fan of a 1/16/13 summoner build. Gets you the important jungler masteries: armor, dodge, reduced dmg, HP, XP bonus, and utility master. Finally, the 3 mana mastery points are pretty dang good, given that they amount to 5 MP/5. You won't really want to take blue after the first couple of rounds, so having some extra mana regen is nice.

Oh, and for jungling, go DBC, Ball, Ball, Taunt. You get Ball at 3 because the damage scales better than DBC. After that, though, go taunt > DBC > Ball. You only get the early level 2 ball for the jungling.

The Tsak

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Again, you need to reread Strength of Spirit. The bonus mana regen is 0.3%, not 3%. Whether you like Tear and Archangel's or not, they do not improve significantly with your Defense masteries. Not that 4.2 hp/5 is terrible, but it doesn't show up till after you've stacked your spell usage--you might use a hundred spells by level 6, and get an extra 1.2 hp/5. You need HP from level 1. By the time you get it, it's negligible.

You're right that you won't have to worry much about running out of mana. I do run into mana trouble sometimes, so I always get golem whenever we're not in the thick of things. Philosopher's Stone also helps, and on the cheap. But you will have to worry about running out of health early game, and later on Rylai's still does more for your build than Archangel's. Not that you couldn't get them both, of course. 200 AP, 500 health, ~1000 mana, mana regen, and a slow for 6000 gold. Just be careful of the opportunity cost in straight survivability items like Frozen Heart, Warmog's, Banshee's, GA etc.
pretty sure str of spirit is per second tho
thing to keep in mind
also with the release of the new item going into philso stone actually isn't ridiculously bad
seeing how it upgrades into a great team item

Luckywild

09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainlizard View Post
Rammus is best played as jungle to level 4, gank with double buffs, spell a lane, then grab red buff and go gank again.

After that, do the usual jungler thing: if a gank is open, go for it. Otherwise, control the buffs and wraiths. Do note that rammus doesn't scale well on jungling because DBC doesn't scale well dmg-wise. He's best used as gank-focused jungler because of the awesome PBall+taunt+redbuff combo. Very hard to escape.

As far as items, I love omen, merc treads, visage, veil and aegis on rammus. Super hard to kill with those items, and you bring great utility with omen + CDR to spam your abilities. Obviously, if the other team isn't balanced well, mod the build.

I'm a fan of a 1/16/13 summoner build. Gets you the important jungler masteries: armor, dodge, reduced dmg, HP, XP bonus, and utility master. Finally, the 3 mana mastery points are pretty dang good, given that they amount to 5 MP/5. You won't really want to take blue after the first couple of rounds, so having some extra mana regen is nice.

Oh, and for jungling, go DBC, Ball, Ball, Taunt. You get Ball at 3 because the damage scales better than DBC. After that, though, go taunt > DBC > Ball. You only get the early level 2 ball for the jungling.

I would love to hear more about this, I can see Jungeling as ram working well for the first couple of Levels and it would be a nice way to farm some of my early items. What Runes are you running? What's your creep rotation? What are your starting items? This might be a fun spin on an old champ.

Thanks in advance!

AreYouReady2Die

09-23-2010

MathMage... guess you have never heard of programmers misplacing a decimal point, try Tears out with that mastery before you knock it unless I magically gain 40-50 hp per 5 in 1 level after building it.

Hopefully the .3% mana tooltip is wrong and it was intended to be 3% instead cause it is... In case it is a glitch, don't make a big deal out of it, cause I love roflstomping my Rammus vs Rammus without Tears of the Goddess, its like killing kittens, just too easy and way to enjoyable. 995g for 1500 mana 7mp5 and 42hp per 5 is a nice advantage especially with eventual force of nature putting you around 110 hp per 5..

Far as I know I'm the only tank that goes for Tears, that knows about this.... Till now that is, and I shouldn't be posting this, but meh I'm tired of fail tanks, since I perfer Sona now..... Never seen anyone doing this before in any of my 500+ games even during beta, but let's keep this between us and Rammus =P... Good Hunting

MathMage

09-23-2010

Quote:
MathMage... guess you have never heard of programmers misplacing a decimal point, try Tears out with that mastery before you knock it unless I magically gain 40-50 hp per 5 in 1 level after building it.

Hopefully the .3% mana tooltip is wrong and it was intended to be 3% instead cause it is... In case it is a glitch, don't make a big deal out of it, cause I love roflstomping my Rammus vs Rammus without Tears of the Goddess, its like killing kittens, just too easy and way to enjoyable. 995g for 1500 mana 7mp5 and 42hp per 5 is a nice advantage especially with eventual force of nature putting you around 110 hp per 5..

Far as I know I'm the only tank that goes for Tears, that knows about this.... Till now that is, and I shouldn't be posting this, but meh I'm tired of fail tanks, since I perfer Sona now..... Never seen anyone doing this before in any of my 500+ games even during beta, but let's keep this between us and Rammus =P... Good Hunting
Well, I'll give it a shot in a practice game. If it's really all that, I'll definitely be changing my item build.

AreYouReady2Die

09-23-2010

Changed mine enough to atleast get tear on any mana using character of any type that could use a ton of mana, and can afford some defense points to still do well. Dunno if its still worth using manamune with the nerf to it., but its alot cheaper and faster to stack up.

MathMage

09-23-2010

Quote:
Changed mine enough to atleast get tear on any mana using character of any type that could use a ton of mana, and can afford some defense points to still do well. Dunno if its still worth using manamune with the nerf to it., but its alot cheaper and faster to stack up.
Well, seeing it in action, I have to agree that it's quite a bit more than 0.3%/5 sec would suggest. I need another game to determine whether it's 0.3%/sec, or 3%/5, but if it's the latter I'll happily play a Sapphire Crystal to start. If the former, well, 7 hp/5 at the start isn't fantastic, but the combination of regens and the increased build potential really make up for it. I will be adjusting the guide to suit. I saw a Ryze guide suggest SoS too, but didn't put the dots together before now.