Poppy advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XSimplexityX

10-26-2012

hopefuly other than.. buy someone else can someone give me a little bit. Maybe from an frequent Poppy user?

Here's my story:
I'm new level 5 and I bought Poppy because she seemed like fun. I assumed poorly. What happens is I get frustrated because I've had her for a few matches now and I know adequacy isn't grown over night but man she literally gets chewed up and pit out in the laning. If anyone has even a little bit of range I'm screwed. Nearly every game is 2-3 kills maybe and double digit deaths and frequently underfed and leveled.

To start I usually go with a regrowth pendant and make a philosopher's stone then boots and work on the triforce thingie and so on.

Maybe going jungle with her is the answer? Avoiding lane altogether? I guess she has slow clear times but.. whats worse slow clear times or potentially horrible laning leading to worthlessness later?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

I also bought Poppy very early(pre-30), and couldn't quite make use of her. I did have better luck in the jungle, but she's not comparable to the meta junglers.

However, I'm a pretty terrible top laner, so my skills in that lane are poor with any champ, much less a champion like Poppy. She takes quite alot of skill and experience to use effectively, but when people have that, she can be a terror.

All I can tell you is practice. Learn everything you can about her, and about top laners in general, so you know your opponents. Practice top as much as you can(but be willing to play other lanes, obviously). I realize you're probably not at the point where solo top is a thing yet, being level 5, but it will be as you level up, and when you get to the point where you're playing draft games with the meta, you'll know what I'm talking about. Until then, just play alot of Poppy, study your lane opponents, learn your weaknesses and your mistakes, and maybe you'll get the hang of it sooner rather then later.

And hopefully someone who actually plays Poppy will show up with more specific information.

Rezo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...py-build-guide

/\_ The only guide you will ever need as Poppy.

Edit: Oops your level5, Poppy would be a difficult champion for a new player thats not even counting the lack of the runes and masters that Poppy really needs imho.

Warrrrax

10-26-2012

Buy someone else? Poppy really and truly sucks and you are just going to get frustrated with the game by playing her.
You can play any of the 500000 other champs with a gapcloser and attack resetter that dont' suck. Wukong is decent, Irelia is strong, Xin is decent, Jax is good. The list goes on and on.

Poppy was created back when the metagame was much much different and she hasn't been updated. She sucks vs most top laners which is the only place she can reasonably be placed.

Sereg Anfaug

10-26-2012

Actually, she works very well now as an assassin. Her teamfighting can be quite impressive. The only real issue she has is laning, which can really set you up for a bad game, and is difficult to overcome.

Leksilijum

10-26-2012

I like Poppy very mutch, although I am not the best poppy player. She is extremely hard to master but if you get it right you can master the game in no time. Poppy's main goal is to gun down the Attack Damage Carry that is fed, like Ashe or Vayne. And by level 9 you can practically do it in 3 to 4 hits.

Durong laining phase you have to dodge enemies' abilities. Don't be affraid to wait for minions to get below 1/3 of hp and thwn smack them with Q. Thst is how ypu farm early game. And if you get pushed by the turret you try tp flash behind the enemy and butthead them into your turret, then they are forced tp run away and ypu can grab the kill real quick. It isn't easy toperform this succesfully, but when you master her, you will be trololololing them and making people run for their lives.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-26-2012

For what it's worth, this probably has a lot more to do with the fact that you're level 5 moreso than anything to do with Poppy. That's not to say Poppy is a top tier champ or anything, just that you still have a lot to learn.

Plus, at level 5, you're missing a lot of masteries and runes that others have that give them a massive early game advantage.

You'll never survive the jungle with Poppy at summoner level 5, by the way.

And if ranged champions are your biggest weakness, then I'd be starting boots every time.
I have a low level account, and I'd be willing to play a game or two with you some time. I'd play one with you playing as Poppy so I can make some direct comments on your play, and I could play another match with me playing as Poppy so I can illustrate some of the things I'll tell you about.

GetPositive

10-26-2012

poppy works very well at lvl 30 with a good set of runes and masteries. I'd wait to use her until then lol

MadTenuki

10-26-2012

I loved Poppy too but found her very hard to use in 5v5 once the competition improved. If you really just love the champion, she's amazing in Dominion, and had fun with her in the new 3v3 map too. Both games kind of skip the early game, and her slow start is the hardest part about her. Basically 5 minutes in you're a little rolling furry bundle of terror and it's a blast.

I've just started trying her in 5v5 again. I struggle a little bit but a) she farms well under tower, and b) if they're pressing you that hard, it creates opportunities for jungler, so communicate with the jungler a lot, just try to farm safely until you get sheen or phage at which point you begin holding your own in trades.

XSimplexityX

10-27-2012

This is all helpful. I know it's early but I'm trying to learn the toughest jobs first like jungling so by the time I get higher level I can be good at it. If Poppy isn't a good choice in the jungle can you suggest someone for me to look into?