Practice Games vs Bots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erinn

09-21-2010

Hi all,

I've been practicing the new selection of free champions against bots yesterday and a few times today (3 games today so far), but now when I try to create a practice game it won't let me start.

I get a message saying "you cannot play a practice game with fewer than 4 players". TT or SR, it doesn't matter. I've played 1v1 yesterday and even 3v3 where I'm the only human player so I can get comfortable with build orders and such, but now that doesn't seem possible.

I don't see any announcement about this change, nor do I see other people talking about it...what could have happened?

Thanks!

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

09-21-2010

When the servers are particularly busy or Riot is worried about server stability they put in a real person limit to practice games. This lessens the server load and helps server stability. Once things calm down again the practice game limit will be removed.

Sanjiro Morigami

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

yeah, some how I don't really see that as fair, especially for people new to the game. one, they don't even know anybody. two, the odds of them getting in a non locked practice game is a gamble in and of itself. three, if I wanted people to impose a limit on how much and when I was able to play, I would just go to Dungeon Fighter Online. I mean honestly, I realize that riot is small, but really? and I really am not trying to start anything, but with the downtime, and now this, hell three days into the game and it looks like they don't really want new players, because I have seen where this road goes, and they wont make many friends if they don't play nice with the rest of the kids. F.Y.I. I did vote for this game to win, and I did it because I think it is a great game, I just wish I could play it hahaha

SomniumProxy

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjiro Morigami View Post
yeah, some how I don't really see that as fair, especially for people new to the game. one, they don't even know anybody. two, the odds of them getting in a non locked practice game is a gamble in and of itself. three, if I wanted people to impose a limit on how much and when I was able to play, I would just go to Dungeon Fighter Online. I mean honestly, I realize that riot is small, but really? and I really am not trying to start anything, but with the downtime, and now this, hell three days into the game and it looks like they don't really want new players, because I have seen where this road goes, and they wont make many friends if they don't play nice with the rest of the kids. F.Y.I. I did vote for this game to win, and I did it because I think it is a great game, I just wish I could play it hahaha
You're just turning a blind eye to other factors :P

Sure, a minimum of 4 human players. But the moment the restrictions go up, you'll imidiately start to see games like "Noobs practice vs bots" "5 human 5 bots", etc. There are tons of them, and in case you can't find one, you can always create, they fill up pretty fast.

So, what's the difference? In stead of having to support 5 separate games of 1 human and bots, the server only accounts for 1 game 5 human vs 5 bots. It's still fun and you get to learn from others, not just on your own experience. And it improves server stability in normal games, which is of upmost importance for the game. After all, 99% of the players play vs other human players.

Mixxy

09-22-2010

They lost a player because of this limitation.

TKMantis

09-22-2010

I dont understand why 1 solo practice player needs to go ONLINE to practice against bots or by himself.
ALL I WANT is to test out the free to play champions so I am that more prepared to play them when I play against others.
I clog up the server cos I want to practice??
Fix your game much??

Erinn

09-22-2010

It makes sense to me now that it's been explained, but as a new player (this is day...3? 4? Something like that) I had no idea what was going on. It would be great if there was an announcement of the forums (or, better, on the client) that mentioned when this was happening. Even updating the "You need 4 players to start" popup to say something like "In order to reduce server load, we have temporarily disabled games with fewer than 4 players." would be a huge improvement.

I spent maybe 10 minutes confused, reloading the client and trying to get it to work, and then I got frustrated, quit out, and hit the forums looking for answers. That's left an annoying taste to a very cool game that I am just getting into, and it's completely avoidable with just a slightly clearer dialogue box. I love this game so far, so I hope there aren't many other surprises like this in store for me.

Thanks for the help!

Stillhart

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinn View Post
It makes sense to me now that it's been explained, but as a new player (this is day...3? 4? Something like that) I had no idea what was going on. It would be great if there was an announcement of the forums (or, better, on the client) that mentioned when this was happening. Even updating the "You need 4 players to start" popup to say something like "In order to reduce server load, we have temporarily disabled games with fewer than 4 players." would be a huge improvement.

I spent maybe 10 minutes confused, reloading the client and trying to get it to work, and then I got frustrated, quit out, and hit the forums looking for answers. That's left an annoying taste to a very cool game that I am just getting into, and it's completely avoidable with just a slightly clearer dialogue box. I love this game so far, so I hope there aren't many other surprises like this in store for me.

Thanks for the help!
I had the same issue a few weeks ago when I started. I practiced one day and then the next I couldn't. I thought I was taking crazy pills until I got the official explanation.

I think your suggestion on updating the error message is a great one; you should post it in the suggestions forum and link it back here so I can go +1 it. :-D

WoIfCIaw

09-22-2010

haha i thought this was a new thing in the patch, i wanted to 1v1 my friend >:

A Wild Magikarp

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMantis View Post
I dont understand why 1 solo practice player needs to go ONLINE to practice against bots or by himself.
ALL I WANT is to test out the free to play champions so I am that more prepared to play them when I play against others.
I clog up the server cos I want to practice??
Fix your game much??
If Riot let you play LoL offline, the game would basically be opened up to people to mess with. Now, once this happens, tell me who would be stupid enough to actually pay money for things like skins, etc. when someone could create a private server and give you everything for free.

Basically... good idea, but it will never happen. The better solution is server improvement by Riot in time, rather than offline play.