Preventing Sion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nayuki

11-16-2009

While I tend to not see Sion present the epic problems of Amumu/Malphite it seems those two and similar tanky heroes you just -know- what's going to happen.

Malphite will initiate with an ult, Amumu will cry and try to get in the middle of everyone, etc, etc. You really can't -stop- them very often unless you get some very good luck or skill, so it's more about not panicking and being able to survive it.

Because they're so common and you just know they're going to be there, I rarely have any complaint over them.

Sion seems to just steamroll me any game I see him in though. He's not an unkillable force - he'll typically seem to die a decent amount, although he'll still be pretty tough - but he always, -ALWAYS- seems to do far better in kills than he does in deaths. I'v yet to see a non-AP build, so no experience with tanky Sion but AP just seems to always wreck me and my teams day.

He farms so well a few deaths don't set him back very far really so denying him early game tends to not have a very large impact. He can routinely kill entire creep waves quickly so tends to have fairly good items and, thanks to enrage, a decent health pool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the problem I have with him is that he's not a huge presence like many other heroes I run into, but because of that I rarely seem to actually be able to devise a hard counter. You see certain heroes around enough you simply -know- what to do to stop them or at least give them a hard time because trial and error eventually leads to a good tactic.

Sion I don't see often enough, and his presence always seems really marginal early game but somewhere around 10~ he just seems to become a juggernaut I can never quite get around. He falls to focus fire, sure, but every hero does that - it's more a question of really what aside from pure focused fire can be used to keep Sion from running rampant and doing a pretty unhealthy chunk of damage?

Drevix

11-16-2009

I know of two hard counters that i avoid like the plague when i play sion: Morgana and ryze. i am not saying that they aren't easy kills, but a smart morgana and ryze will save their holds for you and and when they have you locked, there is not much sion can do but throw his stun to make sure they dont pelt him down. and the stun will wear off before the hold does. =(

other than that its a distance game vs a sion; he does not have a stellar range but he will more than likely initiate any fight throwing out a stun. so be wary of it

mermin

11-16-2009

ive been playing sion hes really really good i dont know why more people arent playing him

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2009

Quote:
ive been playing sion hes really really good i dont know why more people arent playing him
He does well in mid-level games and rapes in any game underneath that skill bar. But when you play higher mid-level games, you will find him extremely difficult to do well with. Without a good early game, Sion really can not do very much. Let me explain.

1) Sion has only a couple path of attacks when he wants to fight someone in lane. He can either
a) Power up shield then run in and hope he can stun the person before they run away.
b) Stun first then power up shield and hope they can detonate it before the person destroys the shield or runs away.
c) Hide in the brush and time detonation

A good player can easily avoid A. Option b is better, but you'll find the higher elo matches you go, the more of the same heroes you'll see- heroes that can survive Sion's combo AND destroy his shield before it even blows up. Furthermore, a lot of people usually kite when they lane, making it hard for Sion to get a good chance to stun and followup. Option c is extremely difficult, since most people avoid the bush by a good distance unless their planning to use it to gank, in which they usually have something up their sleve that will screw Sion up.

2) Sion has low mana pool and regen
Sion has a 240 mana combo when his shield is maxed, and only has something like 200 base mana. In higher levels, you'll constantly find yourself fighting constantly against heroes that can stand more than a couple of shield blast and stuns. Mana regen items are a complete waste of gold that is necessary for rushign AP items like Sheen or Soulstealer- without these items early, Sion has no chance of getting kills early and mid game, and will therefore suffer in late. Normally, you would remove this problem by getting the blue golem buff, but "creep starving" is friggen rampant in higher level games- Sion is terrible at jungling without good AP items, which you won't have if you bought mana items or haven't been killing people. Also, most of the time the golems are gone because someone in the game with a better jungling hero has taken it.

Now, if you're a sworn AP Sion player Mermin, I have no doubt you will not believe anything I have said above to be a problem. But this is what my experiences have been, and I stand by them. That's not to say Sion isn't a good hero- in fact, I think he's the pre-poof-nerf Meepo of LoL, and I too can not understand why more people are not playing him. But he has his flaws, just like other "OP" heroes like the old Ryze have.

As for countering Sion? It mostly comes from experience. I suggest you play AP Sion yourself for more than a couple of games.

Quote:
iSion I don't see often enough, and his presence always seems really marginal early game but somewhere around 10~ he just seems to become a juggernaut I can never quite get around. He falls to focus fire, sure, but every hero does that - it's more a question of really what aside from pure focused fire can be used to keep Sion from running rampant and doing a pretty unhealthy chunk of damage?
Well if Sion isn't laning against a good player who knows how to control, you're in trouble. The only thing I can think of that REALLY hurts a Sion is controlling the blue golems. But that hurts warwick too and I friggen suck at countering Warwick.

mermin

11-16-2009

Im pretty sure i play in at least lower-high tier :P. In fact I think that Sion has one of the best early games; as AP you can one shot creep waves and have a powerful point-n-click stun and as non-ap he is probably the easiest hero to last hit with; not to mention he is especially good at tower diving.