Butthurt and a message to the RIOT CEO!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

okrichie

09-21-2010

Dear RIOT,

I understand that you are a company, that you have employees and are people trying to make a living. I understand that you must balance the service you offer against the capacity to profit from your work.

I appreciate that your staff work hard. I appreciate that you have skilled staff and have extensively interviewed each member so that they fit into your team perfectly and contribute to the whole, to produce a great product.

I appreciate that you are trying very hard to make money (especially given the economy). I appreciate that you are even (and I hope) aware that you are making more money than other similar game developers (congratulations; genuinely not a stab at you - good job).

However, (yes the shoe must drop) I am a little concerned about the community. I'd love to see some feedback about your activity in the community as a whole. I'd love to know what your team looks like that actually respond to queries, complaints and reports. I know you have some talented writers that put together the summoners code; who's following this up?

So of course, I'm pleased you have tournaments and care about your top players (I hope you made some sweet, sponsorship money there!), I'm also pleased you care to keep upgrading the game, though sometimes question the idea of playing a game that changes from one day to the next; imagine if Monopoly rules changed from one game to another o.O.... But I digress..

What about me, the little guy? The fail, noob loser. The one your community hates. I've put some money into your company and that goes a tiny way to putting some money in the pockets of your employees. A small contribution. Your EULA expects that I handle this with no qualms (so you have no obligations here, I am aware). That'd all be fine too, I promise; if I wasn't STILL being and seeing many others insulted by your player base.

See in the crappy ELO tier that I reside within, most of the games I play involve some sort of abuse. It's tiring sending you all the reports I have and I worry your team are getting annoyed at me for doing it!

Look I'm an adult (and I make mistakes too) and I can handle people talking trash sometimes. But there's a point where it becomes stupid. You know the game is complex (though some wouldn't admit as much). You know there's more to this than winning and losing. You know that as a team game, anything and everything can contribute or cause a win or a loss. So why must I always play with people who are so ignorant to this idea? Your community has been called on this issue and part of me wonders if your "code" was in retaliation.

What have you done? I'd like some reassurance please. I think there are others in the community that would too. Your new content is good but I can't commit to paying more money to a game where I feel belittled just because I'm trying to have a good time.

This next part is aimed at the RIOT CEO (or MD or whatever your title is good sir).. When you next have a meeting with your marketing team, please ask them this:

"If we want to continue to profit, be successful, pay our bills and our employees and expand as a company, do we need to have an esoteric, wholly competitive and somewhat abrasive community, or do we need a mature community open to all?"

Yeah that's right, I patronised you a little; you know what I'm aiming at here. Maybe I know what you're thinking, too... "What do I expect?" You can't police everything and shouldn't have to! Sure, but I'm sure some of your paid staff of experts could come up with something robust to make everyone happy. But I'm not [happy], and may I dare suggest others aren't too? (Oh go on..)

But what do I know? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you make enough money and you're happy as is. There's no point trying to strategise ways to improve profits, right?

Anyway listen, you do a fantastic job for the most part, RIOT. Really, you have a winning forumla for a game on your hands. You have a devoted community that has the potential to grow. Work on your visual media in marketing a bit and you'll be onto a serious winner (did you SEE your trailer for season one? some of your staff didn't get paid enough for that). Just remember the little guy amidst all these trophies and tournaments you're having; some of us aren't in your top ELO brackets but we still care about you (and put some towards your turnover).

Please care about us too. Many thanks.

Lots of love and kisses,

Richard

Leib Olmai

09-21-2010

Downvoted, no TL;DR.
And it seem to be just a bunch of elabored QQ that they are already aware of.

Warscythes

09-21-2010

To be fair, Riot is one of those companies that actually have better than average response times and customer support, in my opinion of course. Would I say no to more interaction? Of course not, but I just thought the current amount of activity is sufficient for my need.

Also

Quote:
Lots of love and kisses,
Your man score is now in the negatives.

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-21-2010

I have not seen Brendan Beck on the forums
or at least the general discussion
ever
does he even exist?
or is he on an even higher plane of Jesse Perring and does not have any need to consort with us mortals?
who is this enigma?
/discuss

Zyvx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

They may take you more seriously if you didn't lead off with butthurt.

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCalinours View Post
Downvoted, no TL;DR.
And it seem to be just a bunch of elabored QQ that they are already aware of.
Too long for you eh? Libraries must be a major threat to your life! Just kidding, you're entitled to your opinion, but really, I am too! It's my party and I'll QQ if I want to :'(

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warscythes View Post
To be fair, Riot is one of those companies that actually have better than average response times and customer support, in my opinion of course. Would I say no to more interaction? Of course not, but I just thought the current amount of activity is sufficient for my need.

Also

Your man score is now in the negatives.
My man score? Lol I don't care. Good effort though. You want less feedback. I want feedback of a different kind then. The feedback they give right now isn't my tempo, I'm not keen to these champion trials or 'what have you'! I guess I'm selfish and want the feedback I want, from my perspective! :P

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nd3pth View Post
They may take you more seriously if you didn't lead off with butthurt.
It's a minor jape; there's tongue in cheek all over the place in this thread. I was going to edit this title, quoting you, but you can't edit thread titles

TheInfamousDrK

09-21-2010

Hahaha some guy named "Di*ck" is "Butthurt."

Hahahahhhahahaha

Ghettobarney

09-21-2010

I concur with the OPs thoughts. I'm not even super low Elo or anything but I still get ********s all the time.