Butthurt and a message to the RIOT CEO!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yellowfrog

09-21-2010

I wouldn't mind if there was more user moderation, warnings and bans. Even software that could simply count how many times you use profanity or insult other people (noob, baddie, feeder, etc) to flag them for review would go a long way. People would be a lot more mindful of their behavior if they knew they were being watched.

It's just like the wild wild west in game, with no sheriff around. People feel anonymous and act accordingly because there are (usually) no consequences for their actions.

To fix this though, Riot would have to hire a lot more CS reps to monitor and investigate problem players.

brb getting sued

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrichie View Post
It's tiring sending you all the reports I have and I worry your team are getting annoyed at me for doing it!
Jozrael has said he enjoys dropping the ban hammer. I don't think Riot finds the reports annoying unless you're reporting really mundane things.

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamousDrK View Post
Hahaha some guy named "Di*ck" is "Butthurt."

Hahahahhhahahaha

LMAO I see what you did there because "Richard" can be shortened to "****" and there's some sort or sodomy joke in there somwhere! LOL!

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettobarney View Post
I concur with the OPs thoughts. I'm not even super low Elo or anything but I still get ********s all the time.
Nice to know it happens to others too!

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrog View Post
I wouldn't mind if there was more user moderation, warnings and bans. Even software that could simply count how many times you use profanity or insult other people (noob, baddie, feeder, etc) to flag them for review would go a long way. People would be a lot more mindful of their behavior if they knew they were being watched.

It's just like the wild wild west in game, with no sheriff around. People feel anonymous and act accordingly because there are (usually) no consequences for their actions.

To fix this though, Riot would have to hire a lot more CS reps to monitor and investigate problem players.
Yeah agreed, but it has to be a balance. We don't want to police but there has to be enforcement of some form.

I'm not sure if they'd have to hire more people so much as over work their existing staff, but I'd be happy to buy a few more RIOT points from time to time if my experience in-game improved, thus increasing company turnover to pay for those staff salaries/wages!

Vichar

09-21-2010

To the original poster:

Please find it in you to distinguish between what is within Riot's power to control, and what is beyond their control.

Riot wants a good player community, and they've stated this many times. They are banning as fast as they can (without being unfair). Would you really want them to auto-ban just because someone reported? The abuse would be huge, and half of the players in this game would get banned because griefers would find it funny to run around reporting everyone they played with/against.

There is little Riot can do beyond banning griefers. I think the current state of the community is more a statement about the average person than it is about Riot. I haven't seen this much rage in other games, but I think that's due to two things mainly:

1) LoL doesn't have the skill cap that 1v1 RTS game like StarCraft has. This makes it more accessible to more people who are not easily discouraged by a steep skill curve. I believe this draws a different demographic to play the game, and sadly this demographic has more d bags in it.

2) Because LoL is a team game, and there is a solo queue, it's easy to get frustrated because you cannot control the quality of your teammates, and yet you depend upon them so heavily in a game. This leads to a lot of raging in game, even by people who might otherwise normally be calm.

NSA Datalord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

Oneof the best things Riot could do when it comes to bans is to make them public. Create a subform called 'discipline', and mod whatever internal tool they use for tracking disciplinary actions to automatically create a locked post for each infraction. Right now the sheer volume of obnoxious conduct in games makes it hard to believe there's enforcement.

Title: So-and-so issued 48 ban for verbal harassment
Subject: same
Body: On <insert date here>, <insert player here> was banned <insert duration or permanent> for <insert infraction here>.

[In case of verbal harassment infract, include the quote that got them banned]

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
To the original poster:

Please find it in you to distinguish between what is within Riot's power to control, and what is beyond their control.

Riot wants a good player community, and they've stated this many times. They are banning as fast as they can (without being unfair). Would you really want them to auto-ban just because someone reported? The abuse would be huge, and half of the players in this game would get banned because griefers would find it funny to run around reporting everyone they played with/against.

There is little Riot can do beyond banning griefers. I think the current state of the community is more a statement about the average person than it is about Riot. I haven't seen this much rage in other games, but I think that's due to two things mainly:

1) LoL doesn't have the skill cap that 1v1 RTS game like StarCraft has. This makes it more accessible to more people who are not easily discouraged by a steep skill curve. I believe this draws a different demographic to play the game, and sadly this demographic has more d bags in it.

2) Because LoL is a team game, and there is a solo queue, it's easy to get frustrated because you cannot control the quality of your teammates, and yet you depend upon them so heavily in a game. This leads to a lot of raging in game, even by people who might otherwise normally be calm.
Hi Vic, thanks for the feedback.

I know there's a limit to what they can control. But even you suggest they can either dictate or relax their policies. It's how they do it and to what degree they choose to do so...

I've never suggested an auto-ban system. What would be fantastic, is some feedback on the existing reporting system and code of summoners. I've seen little to none thus far...

I agree that the solo queue allows the potential for raging, but I also think people have a responsibility to realise that if you're in a pick up group (PUG), then you can expect things to go sour sometimes (and to not rage about it).

It's a good job I'm not the CEO of RIOT as I'd ask people to pass a test in recognising these things in themselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

In particular, this one comes up in LoL quite often.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Warscythes

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrichie View Post
My man score? Lol I don't care. Good effort though. You want less feedback. I want feedback of a different kind then. The feedback they give right now isn't my tempo, I'm not keen to these champion trials or 'what have you'! I guess I'm selfish and want the feedback I want, from my perspective! :P
Is a joke

Also no, I am quite sure I have stated in my post that I am not against more feedback, I did however say that the current feedback is enough for me.

Obviously you require more/different feedback, and I am ok with that.

okrichie

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alathon View Post
Oneof the best things Riot could do when it comes to bans is to make them public. Create a subform called 'discipline', and mod whatever internal tool they use for tracking disciplinary actions to automatically create a locked post for each infraction. Right now the sheer volume of obnoxious conduct in games makes it hard to believe there's enforcement.

Title: So-and-so issued 48 ban for verbal harassment
Subject: same
Body: On <insert date here>, <insert player here> was banned <insert duration or permanent> for <insert infraction here>.

[In case of verbal harassment infract, include the quote that got them banned]
I don't know about completely public bans but definitely a more public system would definitely appease at least me!