Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is the Defense Mastery Tree useless?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ailin Arach

09-21-2010

Quote:
kearndog:
Or is it just me?

It seems like specing into utility actually does more to increase your survivability by making you more mobile with quickness, summoner spell reduction, CD reduction, keeping your mana and health up with improvements to regen, more xp so you level faster.

Am I missing something here?

All the defensive tree provides that is valuable is strength of spirit and veteran's scars. The rest of the tree is a load of **** because all it does is make you more of a rock that can get beat on, when going with utility might get you out of 1 more hit by making you more mobile rather than being able to take 1 more hit by using defense and raising your effective health by a few hundred points.

Also, if I'm tanking, I'm probably getting ignored as much as possible in team fights, so wouldn't it make more sense to spec into offense or utility to make yourself a better carry harrasser?

In my eyes, 9-0-21 is by far the most useful spec followed by 21-0-9 which is more useful for physical carries.

ADDED:

having havoc increase your damage by 5% is pretty worth it for alot of champions.

And talking about Tenacity (the 21 point end of the defensive tree perk), why would you want this if you're the tank? Are you a math n00b? you'll get your armor up to a point where you're probably blocking 60-70% of physical damage, so you're talking about reducing physical damage taken by **4% OF THE 40-30% remaining damage that you take, so only about 1.75% of the true damage is reduced on attacks as the tank with this perk... mega useless..

Discuss

Gentleman, I point out that in the first post the OP says as a tank it's pretty much the idea to be ignored as much as possible.

This is -wrong- you're supposed to be focused as much as possible, so that the squishy part of your team can rofl own the enemy team.
The OP's opinion on the defense tree is thus invalid, because frankly yes I want to stand there and take one more hit instead of running away and leaving my team down.

Also, show your proof that tenacity is factored in after armour and such, and before or at the same time. Also, you're not running around with 70% the whole game, and early game tanks are at their weakest.

SmashGizmo

QA Analyst

09-21-2010

Tenacity is really good, but getting there means you gotta take dodge stuff or ardor. With dodge seals falling out of popularity, it's rarer to go that far, though it's still really good to get tenacity.

Ailin Arach

09-21-2010

Quote:
SmashGizmo:
Tenacity is really good, but getting there means you gotta take dodge stuff or ardor. With dodge seals falling out of popularity, it's rarer to go that far, though it's still really good to get tenacity.

You really don't need to take the dodge, you can get there with other stuff too.

Dopebear

09-21-2010

I like to have 21 in offense on DPS champions. I generally build crit related, so the %2 chance and %10 damage is a nice bonus. Plus, with the 6 armour pen and 29 from runes, that's 35 armour pen off the bat. At lv 1, even. Lots of champs don't even have 35+ armour. A lot like Ashe have 17 armour, which is nice, when versing her.

Now days, I go,

DPS - 11/0/19
Caster(Kass) - 9/0/21
Tank (Morde) - 9/21/0

I'm tempted for caster, to put 7 in defense, generally for the health regen. Trust me, it is amazing how much it gives. Generally 60 HP per 5 on an average caster build. But yet again, health regen isn't THAT important after the laning phase.

Try out all different styles, and use what you like. You don't have to go the 9 and 21 build. You can go, as I usually do, 11 and 19, for example.

SmashGizmo

QA Analyst

09-21-2010

without touching ardor, dodge or nimbleness, there are only 18 non-Summoner Spell Related Masteries. I mean, you can do it, but it requires a weak investment in ardor usually.

ushafaran

09-21-2010

I spec into defense as kennen given that he doesn't use mana and doesn't receive nearly the same benefit from cdr that most casters do since his cooldowns are pretty "hard" due to energy availability barring running crappy energy runes. Also you get improved cleanse out of defense which is very useful on kennen. Offense has very good stuff in the first through 3rd tiers (mainly the first 2), but thereafter becomes very situational. Utility is the best tree but is lacking in meat a bit if you need to avoid the mana talents. Defense has solid stuff in it, but most of what is there is also available on runes.

Talking Socks

09-21-2010

Offense is the worst tree.

HappyAndHazy

09-21-2010

if you mean going past 9 points, then maybe. My builds usually go 21-0-9, 9-0-21, or 0-9-21.

Usually 0-9-21

Fluffy1

09-21-2010

strength in spirit is the main reason i go with the defensive tree, and regen from the mana is actaully quite good, if i go a catylst build i find this mastery amazing, starting with the saphire crystal i get around 8hp/5. with a few thousand mana you can easily get 50 hp/5 from just the mastery, not bad when traveling between fights with an archangels, saves me from poison aswell.

otherwise past the HP mastery theres not much point going any deeper in the defensive tree, much like how most of the offensive tree is useless, if i take anything from the offensive tree its the CDR and spell pen at the most. i take a 0/9/21 for my casters and a 0/16/14 for my tanky builds. ionly play 9/0/21 if i really need that 3% CDR.