Is the Defense Mastery Tree useless?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmashGizmo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

09-21-2010

I'm going to blow all your minds...

Flat damage reduction masteries and Strength of Spirit are the reasons I invest in the defensive tree. They're soo underrated it's disgusting. Offensive tree is way overrated, I absolutely hate it.

kearndog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandena View Post
Offensive tree is the useless one.

Only good talents in that one are the T1 talents CDR 15%mp and armor pen.

The crit damage talent is too far down and situational for most. Only champion I'd say its 100% needed is trynd. Edit: Critplank too.
In what way is crit useless on any physical champion, it's surprise damage that can often earn you a kill on an enemy who assumed they had enough of a health buffer to escape an attack? And 5% extra damage goes a long way in making you more likely to get the metaphorical gear ball rolling.

EquisScry

09-21-2010

Offensive is definitely the least used tree. Utility is the most used, and for good reason (for non mana champions). Problem with offensive tree is going past 9 points is only worth it for auto attack heroes who invest in crit items/runes. Rarely would you have more than 1 of these heroes on a team, and even some physical carries would never go deep offense tree(Jax, Ezreal, Olaf are just some examples).

Abedeus

09-21-2010

Mordekaiser is always 9/21 for me. So are champs that don't use Mana at all and spells from Utility like haste or teleport.

Kryoz

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abedeus View Post
Mordekaiser is always 9/21 for me. So are champs that don't use Mana at all and spells from Utility like haste or teleport.
Because he prefers absorbing 1/3 of another hit rather than just regening it with the lower CD from 9/0/21?

brb getting sued

09-21-2010

Scars of the Veteran is pretty ****. I don't go further than 16 into Defence though, Ardor and whatever the 21 pointer are seem kinda eh.

Kryoz

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb getting sued View Post
Scars of the Veteran is pretty ****. I don't go further than 16 into Defence though, Ardor and whatever the 21 pointer are seem kinda eh.
I only drop 20 into def I am going to stack archangels (for the % AP) or if I am playing vlad/akali/shen(Maybe)/kennen

DoomGrip

09-21-2010

noone even going to mention 4 percent reduction to damage at the end of the tree? when you start capping out in armor and or magic resists - i requires like an additional 100 of either just to move up 4-5 percent...... 4 percent is huge when you're taking 600 dmg.

Noone even going to mention that additional HP helps early game? Ever see garen with 900 HP at level 1 face roll people?

Defensive mastery is underrated.

Utility is over used.

And offensive is pretty much a ****ing waste unless you're tryndamere, plank.

MANA using carries gain far more benefit from having faster regen, speed, cooldown reduction early game and ignoring meki pendant or any other mana item and focus on core builds instead of offense.

pretty much every other champion gets 9 offensive for CDR AP boost and spell pen. Other than that its ignored. 21 def or 21 utlity.

Noobtown

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearndog View Post
Your gear accomplishes this already. Why throw more lighterfluid on a bonfire?
To get a cool "fwooooof" as the flames explode for a split second...cool stuff.

Ghettobarney

09-21-2010

When you jungle like me, defense masteries are the only way to go, minion reduction and dodge chance plus extra hp is pro dude.