Jax vs. Garen Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jawanga

09-14-2012

I've only played this matchup twice in ranked (me being Jax), and he's just completely shut me down. His natural health regen and tanky build prevents me from getting any significant damage on him. I usually get pushed to the tower, but he Decisive Strikes me under tower and then just runs away with the bonus movement speed, and takes no tower shots. I think that's just bull.

But anyway, I can't figure out how to outplay a Garen with Jax, if it's possible. I didn't really think Garen was a counter to Jax, but he's given a lot of trouble. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

jadelink

09-14-2012

Are you rushing your E to hit him with stun? YOu should be leaving it up to mitigate damage.

Make sure you proc w before jumping, this is normally ineficient, but vs a character with silence or blind, who can stop your w when in range, proccing w (and sometimes E) before jumping is better.

Take exhaust. No ignite, jax does a ton of damage. Exhaust will let you kill another bruiser unless he has taken it too.

Make sure you take a vamp sceptre fairly earlyish, as that lifesteal will let you win the standup slugfests if that is the issue. Garens damage is mostly physical, unlike Jax's which is mixed. Getting some armour or ninja tabi will help a lot.

Not seeing what you are doing these are my guesses as to why you might be consistently losing Jax vs Garen.

That having been said, Jax doesn't really dominate a well played Garen, its a bruiser vs bruiser contest.

Jawanga

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelink View Post
Are you rushing your E to hit him with stun? YOu should be leaving it up to mitigate damage.

Make sure you proc w before jumping, this is normally ineficient, but vs a character with silence or blind, who can stop your w when in range, proccing w (and sometimes E) before jumping is better.

Take exhaust. No ignite, jax does a ton of damage. Exhaust will let you kill another bruiser unless he has taken it too.

Make sure you take a vamp sceptre fairly earlyish, as that lifesteal will let you win the standup slugfests if that is the issue. Garens damage is mostly physical, unlike Jax's which is mixed. Getting some armour or ninja tabi will help a lot.

Not seeing what you are doing these are my guesses as to why you might be consistently losing Jax vs Garen.

That having been said, Jax doesn't really dominate a well played Garen, its a bruiser vs bruiser contest.
Yes, I used my E only if he came to attack me, or if I harassed him with a W and exchanged with him. He pretty much healed it all up faster than I could because of his passive.

I didn't really use my jump, only to escape or to chase down. I don't think it's efficient to use it unless that happens.

I actually did take exhaust, and I usually do. Didn't really effectively use it though.

I got double Doran's, and tried to rush bilgewater, but it was hard because I was getting zoned and couldn't get the CS. It seems I have to take an advantage early game before he starts getting too bulky.

Jesot

09-15-2012

Garen is a counter pick. Play safe and roam whenever you can.

XcTrack

10-17-2013

I used to struggle with this matchup as well. A lot of it is experience with the matchup. You shouldn't be able to kill him early bc he's an early game champ. He would have to misplay for that to happen. My last game I was jax top vs garen and I won the lane but I had to wait awhile. I let him done me from cs early and push me to tower. Since jax is really good at last hitting under tower I used that to my advantage to just farm up. Fortunately for me I was better at csing than him and had around 10 cs more than him by ten minutes even with the tower shooting minions. After I had picked up my phage and sheen I began trading with him and was winning the trades. I eventually killed him and later killed him and his jungler top to go 3/0 in laning phase. I was lvl 11 though before I even began to consider fighting him. Some tips that might help is if he has his q up and runs at you throw up your e. As soon as he silences you he will most likely spin to win and your e can mitigate that damage as well as providing you with a stun to stop his combo. Early game this trade goes even but later in the game with some items you should win this trade. Unfortunately flu you going even with garen early is never good because of his pesky passive. If he is trying to q you under tower and run away if you throw up your e before he silences you you should be able to stun him before he runs out of tower range giving you two free tower shots on him. I usually start cloth 5 and not Dorans shield just bc he isn't dealing a lot of auto attack damage because of his spin. Once you pick up trinity force you should be able to win against him as long as you aren't too far behind. When you do fight him try to all in because otherwise his passive will heal him up. Those are all the tips I have for you but if you are still struggling with the matchup invite me as a friend and message me. I'll play garen against you top and see if I can't help you out any by looking at what you are doing. I hope this helps!

ahy97

10-17-2013

Garen top counters Jax quite well if played correctly. Most of the time Garen would just try to dominate early game and build straight up tank items mid game. Most good garen players do this and it works really well against Jax since Jax won't do that much burst damage and Garen outdamages Jax in short bursts and can easily disengage.
Just play passively and farm

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2013

Garen has CRAPPY DPS, in lane he's about trading and leaving. Don't let him leave. Save your Hop/Stun for when he goes to back away, let him be the one who engages a trade.

Garen will heal back the damage you do if you don't get an all in at 3/4. If you hit level 6, if you haven't made a move yet, you better. Otherwise, after he buys he's going to basically not care about anything you do to him.

The good news is that most Garens build tanky, so eventually you'll catch up to him and still be able to pubstomp him if you keep farming.

As far as countering, I highly doubt any pro player would give any credence to this thought. Jax is an awesome all in character, and that's Garen's weakness. He is not spell dependent so he also doesn't really care that much about Garen's Silence.

Just remember to bait his MR/ARmor buff out before you go into an all in. That not being up will make a huge difference in a fight.

Pikachu Whovian

10-30-2013

As an unorthodox Garen player, I just want to throw in that these tips only work for straight Tank Garen.

On Garen, my Runes are AD reds, Armor yellows, CDR blues, and movement speed quints. This is fairly standard stuff for Garens. Where I differ is in my masteries and build.

On Garen, I go 22/8/0 instead of the usual 9/21/0. Also, I take four points in the Attack Speed mastery and one in the CDR mastery. I find this gives me a huge edge in all stages of the game because most won't expect me to do that much damage early game and Towers melt under my assault later in the game.

Against a Jax lane, I would rush Black Cleaver, then go for Sunfire. Next would be a hexdrinker which I may or may not upgrade, then Mercury Treads for tenacity. Finally, I finish off with Ghostblade and either Atma's impaler or Infinity Edge. All in all, this gives me such crazy damage that Garen's supposed late game fall off never happens. Also, the enemy Jax will lose every trade 1v1 with a Q/E/R combo, even if he has BOTRK because at that point, most opponents will be running scared and item selecting will be useless.

Also, Garen's MR/Armor buff is PASSIVE on his W. The active effect is to shorten CC and block some incoming damage. For some reason a lot of people get this wrong.

AnonymousPi

12-12-2013

Before I just played a Jax vs. Garen, I looked at lolcounters to give me tips against Garen since he was listed as weak against him. I found this REALLY awesome tip to defeat him pre-6, since after 6 Jax can rolfstomp Garen if played correctly. Start cloth+5 and try to reach 2 before Garen. If Garen tries to run at you with QE combo, prep your w and e RIGHT before he Q's you. Then just aa him until you feel you traded well enough. Don't be the aggressor if you don't have to. Just cs, ward river, and late game you'll crush everything. I'm ~1350+ mmr so this might not be very relevant for some people. I went 7-1 and got 310 cs by 34 minutes in this game so hopefully you can have the same kind of success. gl hf