Inside Design: The Music of League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Praeco

Composer

09-14-2012
5 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkaidemor View Post
Is it hard to write music for an orchestra / people playing live?

I like to write music and play around with digital instruments, but I can never wrap my head around writing for an orchestra, for other people to play. I mean with digital instruments all you have to know is how to play the keyboard/piano (and you can get around not knowing even that)...
Hmm, I kind of think of it in the same way as I would think of it as one of those guys sitting there. Basically, There's all the different instruments, and I approach it as for example: "As a cello player, I wanna play something that has a certain instrumental intelligence to it, and that contributes to the overall sonic experience of the listener." - The same thing counts for every instrument. They all serve a different purpose, but it's always possible to find ways, or certain parts in a piece, to give instruments interesting parts.

Basically, my approach is to write a part for every instrument where the instrumentalist gets the feeling of "Yeah, the person who wrote this understands my instrument." - Something that often is a problem in the modern composing world. Instruments are not only tools, and these differences will always be recognizable in music, if someone uses shortcuts and doesn't give the instrument the value it deserves.

Praeco

Composer

09-14-2012
6 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate PhatPat View Post
Praeco, would it be possible to compose more pieces less integrated with a character and more with other parts of League? For example. Summoner Rift's current music is pretty outdated and doesn't add any feel to the game. In contrast, Dominion has an epic orchestrated piece that changes through the course of the game. Can we see a new piece of music being written for Summoner's Rift? I would also approve of a client music piece as well. I feel your well-orchestrated music needs to be added to more elements of the game.

Keep up the fantastic work! You should share other pieces of music you have written, like a portfolio for artists.
That's definitely all stuff that's on my list of things that I badly want to do. There's many things that play a role and have to be considered... Release schedules, different opinions(there actually are players that would miss the old music), purpose of the music, etc.

That being said, for all the things you mentioned, there are plans for the future to bring more cool music.

dubstep producer

09-14-2012

more music contests

StarBubbles

09-14-2012

Oh yess!! Lulu login music. <3 Love the inside peek!

Offtheheazy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

music being recognized? no wai. not to say that other aspects should not be recognized, but i feel that us music people never get the recognition that we deserve. dont get me wrong here, we dont do stuff just to be recognized or just so we can achieve fame, but its still nice . good work!

Bejango

09-14-2012

the pulsefire trailer theme was always my favorite and thanks to this now i downloaded it

Serkaidemor

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praeco View Post
Hmm, I kind of think of it in the same way as I would think of it as one of those guys sitting there. Basically, There's all the different instruments, and I approach it as for example: "As a cello player, I wanna play something that has a certain instrumental intelligence to it, and that contributes to the overall sonic experience of the listener." - The same thing counts for every instrument. They all serve a different purpose, but it's always possible to find ways, or certain parts in a piece, to give instruments interesting parts.

Basically, my approach is to write a part for every instrument where the instrumentalist gets the feeling of "Yeah, the person who wrote this understands my instrument." - Something that often is a problem in the modern composing world. Instruments are not only tools, and these differences will always be recognizable in music, if someone uses shortcuts and doesn't give the instrument the value it deserves.
I was actually asking more in the sense that, do you have to learn how to play every single instrument in an orchestra in order for you to write music for it? Or do you only need a general knowledge of music theory?

You can always convey to the player how you would like a certain piece to be played, but in technical terms I wouldn't know if I could just write in a paper the same melody the same way I would write for any other instrument, if you know what I mean, or if I need to learn how to write specifically for every single instrument that is being played.

My Desired Name

09-14-2012

I just wanna say you are doing an amazing job with the login sound tracks, I love every single one of them! The Diana one was my favorite.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Huge fan of the work you've done, Praeco!

I am disappointed that there aren't pictures and/or video of the Rioters recording their Draven chants, though. :/

SlavHolifyst

09-14-2012

This could be something in the future. But it seems that more and more characters are getting their own theme songs. Perhaps during gameplay, each character could have their own theme music. That might be alot of work.

So then, Im sure there are a lot of composers out there who would love to compose something.

Or, you guys at Riot can take some of these great tracks that you guys made, and loop them into alternative gameplay music that players can change. Because alot of these songs are extraordinary, and i would love to have it playing when there is a 5 on 5 war.
Comments?

You guys have the power!! Keep up the good work