Garen Ultimate makes 0 sense.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhell View Post
Magic Damage: 175 / 350 / 525

Additional 1 Damage per: 3.5 / 3 / 2.5 health missing (29 / 33 / 40% of target's missing health)

"do you honestly think you are going to stop a move that can easily do more than 2000 damage outright?"

2000 damage - 525 base damage of ult (level 18) = 1,475 x 2.5 (1 damage per 2.5 hp missing) = 3687.5 hp that has to be missing for 2000 damage to be dealt to a champ with 0 magic resist.

Every champion starts off with 30 magic resist which is -23% magic damage taken so to do 2,000 points of damage to the lowest amount of magic resist in the game that champion would have to have 4,535 hp missing. I bet this happens ALOT.
So in otherwords, garen is useful if an enemy tank ever reaches unstoppable levels of tank allowing your team to forge their way to victory while typing DEMACIA in all caps?

Ill take two

Aksi

09-14-2012

Garen is fine where he is. Tank-killing AD bruiser. He gets rid of the highest cc using champs. Spin to win does a ton of damage in which I use to think needed a nerf. *no longer.*

Darius needs a buff over all, and he's completely not similar to Garen.

That's like saying Malzahar and Kassadin are the same for coming from the Void.

Hawkhell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
So in otherwords, garen is useful if an enemy tank ever reaches unstoppable levels of tank allowing your team to forge their way to victory while typing DEMACIA in all caps?

Ill take two
I guess so as long as that "unstoppable" tank thinks magic resist is for pansies and guys named tom. I know I rock around 200 MR and defense when playing tank, lazy to calculate the damage reduction but I think its around 75%.

Thread is about his ult mainly, not about how Garen does in general. But I guess most of the people who disagree with his ults usefulness late game really doesn't play Garen or has an extremely low elo.

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-14-2012

Quote:
I guess so as long as that "unstoppable" tank thinks magic resist is for pansies and guys named tom. I know I rock around 200 MR and defense when playing tank, lazy to calculate the damage reduction but I think its around 75%.

Thread is about his ult mainly, not about how Garen does in general. But I guess most of the people who disagree with his ults usefulness late game really doesn't play Garen or has an extremely low elo.
but consider this

Do I build MR or AR against the enemy team.
Hey why dont I just build HP and counter everyone.
Oh **** its garen so now I cant just go with the easy answer that ignores pierce/penetration and if I build one itll cost alot to built the other too and will take up item slots in the end game. Not to mention I'm ****ed if the enemies have anyone that can deal true damage anyways.

basically as long as garen is in play there is not much that can keep your tank teamfight strategy from being disrupted and thats kindof a big deal. And somebody still has to try and stop that silence and spin to win on the squishies.

Edit: remember that all but 30 of that 200 MR couldve been more armor to stop the adc and other AD units. Garens presence alone has rocked your socks

Hawkhell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Focusing on hp is a thing, ignoring armor and MR all together normally isn't a thing. Most tanks balance between armor, MR and HP. If the enemys don't build magic resist, your AP carry has failed horribly.

The Jade Fist

09-14-2012

I feel there are times for his ult.

In a duel it can be that extra burst of damage to put you on top.
Vs a very tanky target, thats below like 20% hp you know you can't kill normally, it can some times drop them.

Or if you're at low hp yourself, and so are they, you might not have to time to screw around, and if you can land that ult first off, it can drop them before you have to get hit yourself.

Its faster then using E to spin them down, or if its on cool down.

While maybe not 100% needed in every fight, it can be the difference walking away with 100 hp and a kill, or being dead.

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-14-2012

Quote:
Focusing on hp is a thing, ignoring armor and MR all together normally isn't a thing. Most tanks balance between armor, MR and HP. If the enemys don't build magic resist, your AP carry has failed horribly.
ap carry??? you say this unofficial terminology like its a common thing lol.

Hawkhell

09-14-2012

I would be happy with old cool down timers on the ult, that way you get more out of it while it is potent.

Hawkhell

09-14-2012

Well supports are normally AP, but their does doesn't hold that much merit unless its Zyra, or Nid, then you have a popular junglers such as Diana, Nunu, Amumu, Malphite, then you normally have a AP mid. If your AP mid is doing their job you should give people a reason to build MR, same with a jungle AP. Not to mention hybrid damage champions that like to solo top.

Never heard of tanks only building HP for defense.

Bungboy

09-14-2012

Okay I'll "counter your point".
Garen doesn't use mana. Garen's ult is a true execute, a better execute than Darius' ult because it will actually do more damage the lower they are. Countered by MR? Darius' ult is countered even harder by hp. Garen's ult refreshing would be extremely overpowered because Garen is not balanced for a refreshing ult. His ult costs no mana and it almost instantly does a massive amount of magic damage which will destroy a carry or tank that is low. Darius is balanced for a refreshing ult because he has less durability, is less mobile, has no built in sustain, is more easily kited, and has mana costs so don't try to compare two ults of two different champions no matter how similar they look.