Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you make a good build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeknoWizard

09-13-2012

Quote:
MechaKameleon:
Alright, so apart from Movement Speed Quints, runes are mainly to give you an extra boost early game, right?

Yup.

Gawthyc

Recruiter

09-14-2012

Ok, thanks to everyone for the help thus far. I think I've already gotten the majority of my questions answered (Still a little confused with masteries, but I think I can figure that out on my own).
Feel free to contribute any additional information or tips, but for right now, I don't believe I have anymore real questions.

AlmightyFork

09-14-2012

Twisted Treeline has a bunch of lvl 1 team fights on the bottom. Runes will show their use right there. Lowest level champion encounts, an extra 20 damage, 12 armor, 6 Magic resist is like having cloth armor long sword, and half mr item to start. As opposed, imagine starting without those. Now there is a big disadvantage. Masteries the same way. If your character is ap, pick some ap masteries is the utility/offense. Tanks love defense. Hybrid character of course, have a mix. I hear 21/9 is popular, meaning the top mastery in 1 tree, then 9 points in another.

sambobsam

09-14-2012

Quote:
AlmightyFork:
Twisted Treeline has a bunch of lvl 1 team fights on the bottom. Runes will show their use right there. Lowest level champion encounts, an extra 20 damage, 12 armor, 6 Magic resist is like having cloth armor long sword, and half mr item to start. As opposed, imagine starting without those. Now there is a big disadvantage. Masteries the same way. If your character is ap, pick some ap masteries is the utility/offense. Tanks love defense. Hybrid character of course, have a mix. I hear 21/9 is popular, meaning the top mastery in 1 tree, then 9 points in another.

i love the treeline teamfights at lvl one! best part of the game that makes starting runes very important... i love getting that starting ace

Gawthyc

Recruiter

09-15-2012

Quote:
AlmightyFork:

I don't tend to play TT too often, but I do enjoy it. Thanks for the info!

LogicMia

Recruiter

05-14-2013

I've been wondering about some of these things myself, and this had helped me a lot. One final question I personally have, is: Is it always better to buy each part of an item, ex: In Trinity Force, should I waste time going back for the Sheen, Zeal, etc, or just save up for the TF itself, and then just buy it? And also, when someone says: "Build Frozen Heart, or Randuin's Omen", does that mean but all items leading up to that, and it be my main final item, or?

I'm also trying to understand how to make builds for myself. (If anyone is willing to give me a few good examples, I usually look at 3v3 AD Builds for Wukong)

LogicMia

Recruiter

05-14-2013

I've been wondering about some of these things myself, and this had helped me a lot. One final question I personally have, is: Is it always better to buy each part of an item, ex: In Trinity Force, should I waste time going back for the Sheen, Zeal, etc, or just save up for the TF itself, and then just buy it? And also, when someone says: "Build Frozen Heart, or Randuin's Omen", does that mean but all items leading up to that, and it be my main final item, or?

I'm also trying to understand how to make builds for myself. (If anyone is willing to give me a few good examples, I usually look at 3v3 AD Builds for Wukong)

Toge

05-15-2013

Quote:
Quazifuji:
I think there are two things going on here.

First, AD tends to come in smaller numbers than AP, but has better scaling values. So a single point of AD costs more but gives more damage than a single point of AP. For example, compare BF Sword to Needlessly Large Rod. Sword gives 45 AD for 1650 gold, while Rod gives 80 AP for 1600 gold. That doesn't mean the Rod is a better deal, it's just that AD comes in smaller numbers. Remember, you AA has an AD scaling of 1 (every point of AD adds one damage to your AA), and abilities that scale with AD often have ratios of 1.0, or sometimes even higher, as well.

On the other hand, most abilities that scale with AP get less than one damage per AP point. An AP scaling ratio of 0.8 or 0.9 is considered excellent, and 1.0 on a mage often ends up being overpowered.

Also, keep in mind that there are other stats besides AD that boost an ADC's damage. In particular, attack speed, crit, and sometimes procs. An ADC with Berzerker's Greaves, an Infinity Edge, and a Phantom Dancer won't always have a huge AD, since their only bonus AD from items is the 80 from the IE, but they've also got a very fast attack speed, a high crit chance, and bonus damage on all their crits.

On the other hand, AP-scaling abilities basically only get damage from AP, Magic Penetration, and that's it.

TL;DR: An ADC will have lower AD than a mage will have AP both because AD comes in smaller numbers (but has better scaling values) and because there is a wider variety of stats ADCs get damage from.

one thing to note here is that while AD scales better as he said, you can usually get twice if not three times the amount of AP that you could AD. However you must decide if it is worth it becuase if the AP ratio is **** (less than .5) then usually its not.

Pobbes

05-15-2013

Quote:
eazeaz3:

This is kind of an old thread, but let me see if I can help you with this. Generally speaking, people who want trinity force have a spammable ability that lets them take advantage of the sheen proc. So, in most cases, the only component of triforce you really want to build early is sheen for the great increase in damage it brings. After that, it could be better just to save up and build triforce, but if you cannot do that in one trip, then the second item you should build is usually zeal. The movespeed advantage and critical chance provides a more reliable boost than the low phage proc chance.

There may be a case where this does not apply, but i currently cannot think of any.

TL:DR - build sheen -> zeal -> Triforce