"Carry yourself out of your elo" How do as a support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrShroob

11-14-2012

As a support.... How. How can I 'carry myself' out of the pits of hell.

I ward.

I call mias.

I do my best to never die and let my adc get every cs(But I get cs when they recall obviously)

If I play someone like Taric, I always stun their ADC(Or Katarina)

I ping to warn my other teammates.

I offer good advice like telling someone to not go alone when we have no vision on the enemy.

... But how does a support 'carry' themselves out of low elo if their adc/team in general is horrid? I've had so many games where my adc goes 0/5 early because they play either way too aggressively, or they tower dive and then say 'worth it' in chat.... and then other times where I initiate a fight, they simply walk away and do nothing when it could have been an easily uncontested kill. I know it's my job to get them fed, but that seems impossible sometimes when people seem to be playing like they're crazy.

I don't really think it's fair that people expect you to just be able to carry yourself out of the lowest ranks of the low when you're the member of the team who's most gold starved, most likely going to be lowest level in all teamfights, and arguably the lowest dps dealer of the team. I can throw out all my stuff to help support my team, my skills, Randiun's, Shuryelia's, etc... but if my teammates are all around bad... what can a little support do?

I'm just puzzled by the way people think I guess.

Marmotqt

11-14-2012

Yeah. Being a support is tough. Especially when you are supporting someone who is not quite as skilled with ADC as they should be. Continue calling Mia's and warding! Now some carries are just to hard to carry (i.e.they play to aggressive or they tower dive non-stop). But it is possible. You have to take on more of the 'play maker' role. And for this I suggest taking supports that can initiate well. Taric, Leona, and even Sona. At least this has worked for me when I played support at lower Elo. I look at it as 'force feeding' you carry.

DrShroob

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaric View Post
Yeah. Being a support is tough. Especially when you are supporting someone who is not quite as skilled with ADC as they should be. Continue calling Mia's and warding! Now some carries are just to hard to carry (i.e.they play to aggressive or they tower dive non-stop). But it is possible. You have to take on more of the 'play maker' role. And for this I suggest taking supports that can initiate well. Taric, Leona, and even Sona. At least this has worked for me when I played support at lower Elo. I look at it as 'force feeding' you carry.
Last season I played Taric almost exclusively... and walked out with a 0% win rate. It was freaking terrible just the amount of...wow... there was.

TehomCD

11-15-2012

It's much easier on an aggressive support that you can make plays on and take advantage of enemy mistakes; the only way to carry on defensive supports is by baiting the enemy team and that's extremely dangerous when playing with players who are worse than you, since they may not react to take advantage of things you set up.

Sona, Zyra, Taric, and Leona are probably the easiest ones to carry on, since if people make blatant mistakes you can pretty much kill them instantly. Support Zyra is my personal favorite since she's pretty obviously overpowered atm. In addition to just murdering lanes, it's pretty easy to get baron or dragon steals as her against bad junglers, and anyone who ever attempts a bad tower dive will usually wind up getting their team aced against a Zyra.

Which support you play should always be based on your carry and the enemy team's support/carry, though. You'd never play, say, Sona with Vayne, or Leona with Ashe, etc.

Azri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

you cant expect other people to carry you, they're just not worth supporting, i don't mind supporting if i have to, but i avoid it, as it is hardest to carry from.

Azri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

you cant expect other people to carry you, they're just not worth supporting, i don't mind supporting if i have to, but i avoid it, as it is hardest to carry from.

ryzeonline

11-15-2012

You may enjoy this article on how a Support Player LemonNation reached #1 rank in Solo Queue.

http://www.nerfplz.com/2012/08/orb-l...olo-queue.html

Hope that helps

KissingTheShadow

11-15-2012

Whenever I am playing Support and get stuck with a useless ADC I just deal with it until laning is over, then when we hit team fights I protect the APC(assuming they are doing better), if not then we're going to lose anyways.

OriginalJack

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
It's much easier on an aggressive support that you can make plays on and take advantage of enemy mistakes; the only way to carry on defensive supports is by baiting the enemy team and that's extremely dangerous when playing with players who are worse than you, since they may not react to take advantage of things you set up.

Sona, Zyra, Taric, and Leona are probably the easiest ones to carry on, since if people make blatant mistakes you can pretty much kill them instantly. Support Zyra is my personal favorite since she's pretty obviously overpowered atm. In addition to just murdering lanes, it's pretty easy to get baron or dragon steals as her against bad junglers, and anyone who ever attempts a bad tower dive will usually wind up getting their team aced against a Zyra.

Which support you play should always be based on your carry and the enemy team's support/carry, though. You'd never play, say, Sona with Vayne, or Leona with Ashe, etc.
I'm going to have to second this advice. If you are a skilled aggressive support you can often drag your adc to a win whether they deserve it or not.

(support Zyra so op)

BStein

11-15-2012

the easiest way is to find an ad carry that you click with and due q with them, that way you both know each others play styles and can complement it.

if you are a lower elo under 1500 try playing soraka. most people cant deal with her amazing substain and the mana restore will keep your ad poking their team and let you force the other bot lanes out of lane while yours is still full hp and mana. also her ult is amazing, there is nothing better then changing the tides of a fight top while you are still bot and hearing the other team cursing in all 'damn soraka' when their 3 man gank top fails.

an other way is to play support that offer great gank protection. janna and lulu are able to dish out a whole lot of cc to keep your lane safe and bring a whole lot to a team fight.

honestly i dislike champs like taric and blitz as support. while they are still good supports i just dislike them. taric is more or less just a stun bot and he offers very little peal when it comes to team fights. blitz grabs can change the game but if you are playing vs someone who knows how to deal with a blitz your not going to get those needed grabs off in the laneing phase and your going to lose bot, but late game his grabs can still be game changing.

also dont give up some people will tell you that supports cant carry a team and well they cant in the traditional sence but what you do is make a good ad carry great and ok ad carry good and you can keep a bad ad carry from feeding as much.

personally i went from 1100elo to 155# elo is season 1 playing mostly support and in season 2 i made it to 1774 playing mostly support and these games whole solo q not due q so you can do it if u keep it up.