Help with Runes!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scimatth7

09-13-2012

I finally gave in and bought the two rune page bundle. Now that I actually have some room to work with, I was wondering what I should buy for the most coverage. I'm not looking for special rune page builds, such as for akali, but rather basic ones that cover lanes well.

1.Support-gold? how many? quints? armor?
2.AP mid-MR? Full AP?
3.Top-Idk what I'm doing here, armor?
4. What should this page be? I'm thinking I'll use it for an AD carry since most junglers could use a top rune page relatively well.

Any and all input/advice is welcome

ProPlayerEd

09-13-2012

1. My support page is...
Gold quints,
Armor marks and seals,
Mr scaling Glyphs.

2.Ap mage page...
Ap Quints
Magic pen. Marks,
Health Seals ( Armor or Mana regen would prolly work better for you)
MR flat Glyphs.

3. Really depends on the champ ( I guess )

4. I'd recommend an AD rune page for AD champs in general.
Att Dmg Quints and Marks,
Armor seals,
Mr glyphs.

Hope this helps

Omegaorb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2012

** Disclaimer: This is just what works for me. I'm not amazing, and each person has their own preferences on runes if you're not building to sets a guide suggests **

1.Support-gold? how many? quints? armor?

Reds - 9 Greater Mark of Resilience (+8.2 armor): I go with flat armor on my reds for 90% of my supports. The early game you'll take some harassment from the ADC, and rarely will you need the magic pen if playing supports like Janna or Soraka. I would rather reduce auto attack harassment then get a bit more damage in from my silence / knockup / slow. Additionally, most ADC's will hit the 10 flat armor pen and then branch out into damage. This will help you counteract this.
Yellows - 9 Greater Seal of Avarice (+2.3 GP 10): If you're starting with a Faerie Charm, you don't need these to be mana regen, and you covered armor above. Start that early gold gain rolling, and just use your mana wisely.
Blues - 9 Greater Glyph of Shielding (+24 MR at lvl 18): I prefer my Magic Resist to get better over time rather than the flats. As the game progresses, more and more damage will be coming from magic sources. I'ts not at good as flats for the first few levels, but it's not until people have ults that you should have to worry too much about it with good ward coverage.
Quints - 3 Greater Quintessence of Avarice (+3 GP 10): See yellows. You can also run move speed if you have a habit of getting caught out or picked off a lot.

2.AP mid-MR? Full AP?
This is where you get a lot of variance per champion, except for my reds.
Reds - 9 Greater mark of Insight (+8.5 Magic Pen.): Pretty standard. You can go with AP here as well.
Yellows - A mixture of flat mana regen, mana regen per level, or flat armor. This depends on the camp you're playing. My Swain Offensive page has all flat mana regen, because combined with his passive it allows you to harass quite a bit in the first 6 levels. My Swain Defensive page though runs 5 flat armor (+7) and 4 Greater Seal of Clarity (mana regen per 5 per lvl), and still some champs I generally lane with for extended periods of time are 9 Greater Seal of Clarity, which I also run if I'm playing with a blue dependent jungler, such as Amumu. This is where most of my mid lane customization comes in.
Blues - Either AP per level, flat AP for early game bursters, or magic resist per level. Mix and match or full page depending on playstyle.
Quints - Flat AP, move speed, flat health, magic pen are the 4 I mix and match depending on need and what the champion lacks early on. 3 Movement speed quints were my best friend for many months while I learned the core concepts, and I still use a 3 MS quint page when learning new champs or playing unfamiliar roles.

3.Top-Idk what I'm doing here, armor?
Not a role I play often, the page I run with is as follows (note I generally play top Olaf, or Jarvan)
Reds - 6 Greater Mark of Desolation, 3 Greater Mark of Strength (+10 armor pen, +2.8 damage): Hitting the 10 points of armor pen, then getting damage on top.
Yellows- 9 Greater Seal of Resilience (+13 armor): You're gonna want to get in on your opponent and trade with the damage you have going here. You need to also expect they're running a full armor pen set, this counteracts it.
Blues - 9 Greater Glyph of Focus (+6% cooldown reduction): Abilities coming off cooldown faster makes you beat in faces faster. Mixed with that Brutalizer you're going to get most of the time it brings you closer to the CDR cap without the need to use an additional item slot. You can also make a case here for magic resist, and I used MR/lvl until I have the extra IP to splurge on CDR.
Quints - 3 Greater Quintessence of Strength (+7 damage): Again, smash face.

4. What should this page be? I'm thinking I'll use it for an AD carry since most junglers could use a top rune page relatively well.
Have a page for every role, at least a general page (armor pen, armor, MR, movespeed) or something to that extent. Once you have a few runesets of each color, you can use additional pages to customize them. I have 3 pages dedicated to Swain, another just for Irelia, one that is shared for Singed/Naut, one for energy using characters, a top offensive, a top defensive, one for Xerath. I also make sure that I have a mastery page for each rune page, and I label them so I can easily choose the right page for each situation. You wither want to balance out a champions weak points, or push their strengths harder.

- OO

Scimatth7

09-15-2012

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to buy a set of gold quints and armor seals first to get started.

TeknoWizard

09-15-2012

I'd say buying flat armor yellows, and scaling MR blues are probably your best bets to get first, as they will help every single character, regardless of role.