AD Voli

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

drocker

09-13-2012

Iv seen it once but how viable is an AD Voli in games?

Dakkaface

09-13-2012

Well, he gets AS from Frenzy, so he can have decent attack speed for AD to work, but his ult fires per attack, his bite gets bonus damage from health and can't even be used til he gets 3 attacks in, and his passive is a percentage of his max health. Some AD can help, but I would never go full AD with Voli. Health and AS are just much more valuable. The only AD item in my build is Atma's Impaler, and it comes very late game.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkaface View Post
Well, he gets AS from Frenzy, so he can have decent attack speed for AD to work, but his ult fires per attack, his bite gets bonus damage from health and can't even be used til he gets 3 attacks in, and his passive is a percentage of his max health. Some AD can help, but I would never go full AD with Voli. Health and AS are just much more valuable. The only AD item in my build is Atma's Impaler, and it comes very late game.
Yea, just build a ton of health to make your W stronger, then throw an Atma's Impaler on at the end and it'll give you the AD you'd get from a couple BF Swords.

drocker

09-13-2012

Alright thanks man

Dakkaface

09-13-2012

Actually, just remembered; the one other useful AD item on Voli is Frozen Mallet, but that's because AD is really secondary to the bonus health and the slow effect on hit.

ApathyWolf

09-13-2012

I found this guide useful, maybe you will too.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=16433

Kyzrathnosh

09-14-2012

After reading the posted guide.. "Falls off late game due to long cooldowns and no natural tankiness"? So.. like most tanks? I've been atmogging Voli (or similar builds) for over a month and I've yet to lose a game when my entire team is there. (Damn leavers.)

Of course people will say it's not viable ranked because it can be easily countered. Any build can be easily countered. Situational tankiness is what Voli calls for. Trouncing your opponents already? Even Leviathan might be decent.

Cenerae

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzrathnosh View Post
After reading the posted guide.. "Falls off late game due to long cooldowns and no natural tankiness"? So.. like most tanks? I've been atmogging Voli (or similar builds) for over a month and I've yet to lose a game when my entire team is there. (Damn leavers.)

Of course people will say it's not viable ranked because it can be easily countered. Any build can be easily countered. Situational tankiness is what Voli calls for. Trouncing your opponents already? Even Leviathan might be decent.
Atmogs is fine on Voli, but it's not really an 'AD build' as much as a 'build that gets some AD while also being tanky'. Much like the idea of buying a wit's end or frozen mallet.

Most bruisers drop off in raw power late game, but that's mostly due to their need to build tanky just to survive in a fight (no point building a ton of damage if you die before you hit anything - which is why AD voli doesn't work well), but also due to how well AD carries scale. IF you can catch them, you can still deal heavy damage to them, but it's possible they'll be able to kill you if you can't burst them quickly.

This is why he falls off late game. And yes, he really does have little natural tankiness. His passive is it. Most tanks or bruisers have more than a mini Mundo ult to rely on for survivability - though Voli's passive can be very nice to have sometimes, it IS pretty easy to shut out, especially if you kill him before it even has a chance to work much.