Good solo tops

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApathyWolf

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Looking for a new solo top. I <3 Riven don't get me wrong but I need to be good with more than one.

What I like:
CC
Escapes/shields

What I hate:
horrible late games (like Renekton)

I've tried Nid, Rumble, and Vlad and cannot use them to save my life.

Most people say Yorick, Olaf, Jax etc but I'm not sure. Also, how is WW and Volibear? What about nunu?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PocketTaco

Member

09-13-2012

Jayce is one of the strongest top laners right now. Yorick, Olaf, Jax are also good, as mentioned. WW and Volibear can work solely because noone knows how to lane against them, so if you're decent with them, you can win easy.

Recently, I picked up Cho'Gath top. It's pretty rediculous, once you hit level 6. It's impossible to trade with him because of his ultimate. In my eyes, he's one of the most OP top lane champions. His base damages are so high that he doesn't even need items at all. When you think you're super ahead of him, maybe 3 kills on him, he starts to outscale you with his crazy base damage. You may have way more items than him, but he can still eat your ass.

I personally love Volibear top, but not the kind of Voli who builds 6 warmogs. Phage, Ionic Spark, Wit's End, pretty much just focusing on auto attacks for his ultimate. I got a pentakill with him once when the whole enemy team grouped up in their jungle - My ult, wit's end, ionic spark, and frozen mallet killed them all simultaneously. Kind of like Critamat Kayle ;D

And Nunu top is pretty useless.You can win lane with just your snowball and consume, but you have around 0 control over the lane (Especially if your opponent has a shield like Riven or Lee Sin) He's much better as a support or jungler


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Yorick is a strong early bully but is mostly just a meat shield late game.

Jax is a nightmare when fed, but he can be shut down early by a competent enemy.

Nunu can be a huge problem for the enemy because he's sort of this infinitely self-sustaining loop. Heal with Q, never oom with his passive, and his snowballs hurt like a mother with a few levels. Plus, having a ranged attack (the snowball) is always an advantage up top. With his ult, however, silence and stuns are a problem. He also brings a ton of utility to the team, but can't carry them on his own.

I don't know enough about Olaf, WW, and Voli to comment on them.

As for other champs that fit your description, both Kayle and Jayce have MS boosts that give them escapes and tend to snowball and become very strong late. Cho'gath has good CC with his Rupture/Scream and can be hugely (pun intended) disruptive during a team fight.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApathyWolf

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Thanks for the comments. Obviously a bit of dispute about nunu so I'll have to look into that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EroticBanana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Cho is a great top laner. Has good sustain with his passive, good cc and can do well against many stronger solotops. And it's easy to counterbuild with him. Up against AD? Get tabi and frozen heart. Up against AP? Get abyssal and merc treads.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApathyWolf

Senior Member

09-13-2012

So much Cho. Might have to try him out. lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PocketTaco

Member

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyWolf View Post
Thanks for the comments. Obviously a bit of dispute about nunu so I'll have to look into that.
Let me revise my statement. Nunu is broken, but he should be used in other areas. Obviously, if you send him top, he would go some kind of AP/Tank build. Nunu has infinite sustain with his passive + consume, and free harass with his snowball. In todays top lane meta, you usually want to have some kind of tanky bruiser who can deal damage and surive. If you have a Nunu, who's only damage are his ult and snowball, a support, and a tanky jungler, your only damage are your carries. Nunu always wins lane. But sometimes, winning lane isn't the only concern for a top laner.

Your laning partner will most likely always be backed up to his/her own turret. If they try to cs, they get snowballed and have to back out. If they actually do any damage to nunu, he just consumes a minion. Nunu is great in 1v1 situations, but isn't very useful. You may have the easiest laning phase ever, but noone is going to be scared of you late game

A while ago, I tried out AP nunu mid (because I saw Salce do it) and I think I had the easiest time ever in my laning phase. I zoned out a Zyra, Annie, Cass, and even Kassadin, with ease. But I found that I had absolutely 0 kill potential and was practically useless in teamfights.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyWolf View Post
So much Cho. Might have to try him out. lol
Do. I believe he's free this week and only 1350 IP. Eating people never, ever gets old. There's nothing better than having your opponent start something with you, suddenly realize he's losing because he underestimated how much damage Cho can soak and deal, try to run, and then you Feast him. And laugh. Always make sure you laugh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApathyWolf

Senior Member

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketTaco View Post
Let me revise my statement. Nunu is broken, but he should be used in other areas. Obviously, if you send him top, he would go some kind of AP/Tank build. Nunu has infinite sustain with his passive + consume, and free harass with his snowball. In todays top lane meta, you usually want to have some kind of tanky bruiser who can deal damage and surive. If you have a Nunu, who's only damage are his ult and snowball, a support, and a tanky jungler, your only damage are your carries. Nunu always wins lane. But sometimes, winning lane isn't the only concern for a top laner.

Your laning partner will most likely always be backed up to his/her own turret. If they try to cs, they get snowballed and have to back out. If they actually do any damage to nunu, he just consumes a minion. Nunu is great in 1v1 situations, but isn't very useful. You may have the easiest laning phase ever, but noone is going to be scared of you late game

A while ago, I tried out AP nunu mid (because I saw Salce do it) and I think I had the easiest time ever in my laning phase. I zoned out a Zyra, Annie, Cass, and even Kassadin, with ease. But I found that I had absolutely 0 kill potential and was practically useless in teamfights.
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. And now I know he isn't what I want. ^_^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PocketTaco

Member

09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyWolf View Post
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. And now I know he isn't what I want. ^_^
I like to type ^@^


12