IE or TF on Garen? 9/21 or 21/9?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nocte Prime

09-13-2012

I've been playing Garen a lot lately and I'm trying to figure out which item and which mastery set up is best for him. Most of the games I've used offensive masteries and built IE after getting my brutalizer, but I tried out TF with defensive masteries last night and it worked amazingly well. TF gives similar burst to IE, but also gives movement speed, health, and a slow. The defensive masteries made me feel more durable and my damage felt just as good as with offensive masteries.

Any math people out there that can do an item comparison? How is everyone else playing Garen?

FYI, my typical build is boots + pots, dorans blade, brutalizer, tabi or merc, IE/TF, Hexdrinker, Sunfire, Atmas, Maw.

Sometimes I go HoG depending on my farm and build Randuins, especially if we don't have a tank or other initiator. I usually save Youmus for last. Brut gives so much for the cost and I'd rather get my TF or IE started.

Jesot

09-13-2012

IE if you're going that route... The way crit works with spin makes IE the better item.

I'd rather go with Frozen Mallet if you wasn't the slow.

port5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2012

Shouldn't build youmuus on garen, just leave it at brut and sell it for a last whisper later, get an inf later on, not your first fully built item, make your second item a hog or avarice blade (or get both), and your first fully built item a tank item like sunfire, warmogs, randuins, etc. Basically, go with the tanky idea, but instead of getting trinity force, get something like frozen mallet or sunfire and go for surviving with garen, not bursting with garen. Garen's strong point is the ability to engage for a second, deal decent damage with e while taking very little damage with silence+courage, then back out and regen your health then do it again.

oh yeah. Don't get trinity. For an offense build,(your not forced to follow this, just a suggestion) boots, atmas, mallet, inf, sunfire, last whisper should make your e hit like a truck while having decent survivability, and for a defense build, switch out atmas and mallet for randuins/warmogs and force of nature. Inf and last whisper should stay, since atmas and frozen mallet, while making you tankier, they will never provide you the damage output to 1v1 someone.