Looking for new AP mid.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ten Inch Rooster

09-12-2012

Xerath has crowd control. When you fire off his ult there's a wonderful big white circle that tells your enemies "In about 3 secs you will be sizzled so I would advise you to move; no rush but soon." You can do it three times in a row too so its like herding cattle.

Alcowpwn

09-12-2012

Xerath has his range but no cc. Hes deadly from afar but an easy kill when the enemy gets close. Although she is listed by riot as a support, I still mid with Lux. She has absolutely amazing range on her E which also triples as a temporary ward for bush checking as well as a aoe slow. Her q is a nice stun that is essentially the start to her level 6 kill combo. Which is Q, throw down E (don't detonate yet), auto attack, detonate E, autoattack, and Ult. If you get this fast enough, you can kill 90% of mids at level 6. That is if you have kept your range early game so you're not at 1/2 health when you initiate. Lux has the capability to lane with anybody even though she is squishy because of her range and stun.

I like many other smart mids, get sorc boots for the mpen. Also get a void staff after rabadons if they are stacking MR. Also don't ks with the laser, use it at the beginning of team fights and hit as many people as you can. This will usually take 1/4-1/3 from every one you hit except for a MR heavy build which should be the tank. Then i'll shield my team for assists and finish the fight. Late game if you can catch the adc off guard and get a stun and an e on him, an ult will usually finish them off. (Late game will have you 600-700+ ap and you're ult will hit for 1000 if you have your sorc boots and void staff.

Even though she has a support ability, I think she is much better played as a damage dealer. Her single target nuke ability is off the charts with her combo. She has the cc to be able to get out of tough situations. The stun can also save teammates who are on the retreat who are within enemy range. Just q straight back, throw an e on your teammate and shield them. (Note: sometimes if you play with ****ty people, they think this is an indication to rush in and try to kill the team 1v5. Then they get mad at you for making them die....)

TLDR
Try lux, she's a lot better mid than people give her credit for. shes got nearly the range of xerath with her e and she has the cc and slow that he doesn't.

lemonpartyfan0

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
I think I will go with Anivia then. I can't decide whether to buy syndra or not before free week. Not taking my chances ever since I bought Viktor.
I would suggest signing up for the PBE then.

3mptylord

09-12-2012

Unless Syndra's cone range has been increased, Syndra's range is deceptively small. She's on-par with Annie or Ryze for range, I'd say.

If you want obscure: try AP Kog'Maw or AP Evelynn.

However, I like Xerath. I hate Anivia. Her play style is boring, and to optimise damage it literally feels like you're abusing a bug that they just decided not to fix (similar to Alistar's buggy Headbutt-Pulverize). I also cannot land Anivia's stun; along with Galio's Resolute Smite, Gragas's Barrel and Heimerdinger's Grenade. There's just something about slow moving, location-target area of the effect spells... I'd like to think I'm good with skill shots, but having to choose where it'll hit them as well? And for them to be slow moving?!

Cassiopeia's Q and E, or Kog'Maw's R are easy though.

Sodaen

09-12-2012

Quote:
I think I will go with Anivia then. I can't decide whether to buy syndra or not before free week. Not taking my chances ever since I bought Viktor.
Do not think it will be easy sir but you have made a good decision! You will feed several times, but you will learn advanced techniques to destroy people and save allies, as well as how to keep positioned in a teamfight so you are not destroyed.

As a start to assist you with becoming talented on this incredibly strong bird I will have to suggest this guide which almost exactly matches my set up now days on Anivia: http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=15501

This build is very unforgiving and the runeset contains no mana regen and instead opts for health per level seals which I do on my Anivia runepage but this requires unbelievable mana management, regardless it will allow you to become a much stronger player and survive the late-game as well as significantly boosting your egg (as when you are in egg form your armor is reduced by 40).

The two Glyphs of Magic Penetration are very necessary to maximize your damage as the wide majority of enemy targets in mid and in bottom lane will have 30 Magic Resist and no Scaling Magic Resist per Level built into their character (but bottom lane will usually have this in runes). This is important because it gives you 10 Magic Penetration.

I immediately build Sorcerer's Boots as my first item, so I recall as soon as I get 750 and a new wave is coming so I can get my Magic Penetration to the important 30 Magic Penetration you will need to do true damage as fast as possible.

Most builds opt for catalyst but I feel like true damage is so much more valuable the earlier on you can get it as is possible and so I believe that you should consider following my advice for this as it really does allow you to do unbelievable damage and most of Anivia's damage is base damage for a significant portion of the game.

After I was crushed by that Anivia of one and a half years ago and I vowed to become an amazing Anivia, there was a guide that helped me learn the ways of this bird and this build is significantly more newb friendly and therefore offers a lot more room for error. This build is: http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=80

Good luck!

X Buster Cannon

09-12-2012

Personally, I'm a huge fan of xerath.He has so much overlooked potential.
It's simple get ionian boots, and rod of ages and a **** ton of ap and you become the biggest asset to a team fight. I play xerath more than any other champ(besides kassadin) and I get around 15 kills a match(average)

RadiantPyrophore

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodaen View Post
Anivia, mastering that character will be the most rewarding thing you have ever done on this game. That character truly has insane burst, consistent damage and utility from the very beginning of the game to the very end.

Traditionally two combos at level 2 is enough to kill any other mid in the game unless they use Magic Resist Glyphs in which it will take more effort.

At level 6 you can just start chucking at people with E -> R for humongous chunks of damage every time it is up. It really is insanity watching them recall just as soon as they returned to lane.

I would rate Anivia as #2 for burst that keeps the damage even in the late-game.

#1 would be Lux who is another terrific mid but few people know that is the case because people build those most worthless Boots of Lucidity on her instead of Sorcerer's Boots that will maximize her damage.

Both of these characters have humongous amounts of crowd control that offer incredible peel, large WTF damage and free hits on the enemy for every person on your team.

These two characters control teamfights and I really do not know how any person could argue against this fact.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lux is quite possibly the ultimate trump card in a push-mid strategy, I can see how Anivia fits here too.

Sodaen

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Inch Rooster View Post
Xerath has crowd control. When you fire off his ult there's a wonderful big white circle that tells your enemies "In about 3 secs you will be sizzled so I would advise you to move; no rush but soon." You can do it three times in a row too so its like herding cattle.
LOL that herding cattle phase you just used alone, I might have to buy it just for that. hahaha

Sodaen

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mptylord View Post
Unless Syndra's cone range has been increased, Syndra's range is deceptively small. She's on-par with Annie or Ryze for range, I'd say.

If you want obscure: try AP Kog'Maw or AP Evelynn.

However, I like Xerath. I hate Anivia. Her play style is boring, and to optimise damage it literally feels like you're abusing a bug that they just decided not to fix (similar to Alistar's buggy Headbutt-Pulverize). I also cannot land Anivia's stun; along with Galio's Resolute Smite, Gragas's Barrel and Heimerdinger's Grenade. There's just something about slow moving, location-target area of the effect spells... I'd like to think I'm good with skill shots, but having to choose where it'll hit them as well? And for them to be slow moving?!

Cassiopeia's Q and E, or Kog'Maw's R are easy though.
Anivia's playstyle is not boring in the slightest, it is like this: Last hit, last hit, last hit, they are coming for a minion, fire q and hit them, hit them with e, they take 50% of their health in damage, now they will be scared, try to zone as best you can, if they get close basic attack them and fire a q in the direction they are running, if it is going to miss, back off.

When you get level 6 you want to roam around the entire map providing map control (you can do this as early as level 3), killing lanes with your E -> R combo which is less reliant on the skillshot but still provides maximum damage. You will kill so many people by roaming but if you are good you will be killing your mid as well on most occasions.

There are some characters that are harder to kill as Anivia but they will be frightened of you regardless and try to keep maximum range to you so you just roam in order to pick up the kills instead, make their lanes an utter terror. Provide massive amounts of map control.

Invictrix

09-12-2012

Quote:
I'm currently looking at 2 very underplayed ap mids and is quite interested in buying one of them, despite their rumors.
First being Anivia, who have superb zone control and cc, but awkwardly slow and quite hard to manage well.
Second being Xerath who have the best range in the entire game, but anyone with a gap closer can instant kill this poor guy.

I could wait for Syndra too, if anyone in PBE can explain to me about her effectiveness and gameplay.
If you wanna know about Xerath check out my four part xerath training camp. It tells you everything you need to know about him. Just search for Xerath in champion feedback and they will all come up. One does not simply play Xerath one must first do research.