Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking for new AP mid.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DesertFox

09-12-2012

I'm currently looking at 2 very underplayed ap mids and is quite interested in buying one of them, despite their rumors.
First being Anivia, who have superb zone control and cc, but awkwardly slow and quite hard to manage well.
Second being Xerath who have the best range in the entire game, but anyone with a gap closer can instant kill this poor guy.

I could wait for Syndra too, if anyone in PBE can explain to me about her effectiveness and gameplay.

lemonpartyfan0

09-12-2012

Quote:
DesertFox:
I'm currently looking at 2 very underplayed ap mids and is quite interested in buying one of them, despite their rumors.
First being Anivia, who have superb zone control and cc, but awkwardly slow and quite hard to manage well.
Second being Xerath who have the best range in the entire game, but anyone with a gap closer can instant kill this poor guy.

I could wait for Syndra too, if anyone in PBE can explain to me about her effectiveness and gameplay.

Syndra is a lot of fun, but I have only played her a few times, so I won't offer an uneducated opinion.

Out of the other two, I would suggest Anivia, she is a lot of fun and does great damage.

On the other hand Xerath does better AOE damage. I guess it depends on which you want.

Sodaen

09-12-2012

Anivia, mastering that character will be the most rewarding thing you have ever done on this game. That character truly has insane burst, consistent damage and utility from the very beginning of the game to the very end.

Traditionally two combos at level 2 is enough to kill any other mid in the game unless they use Magic Resist Glyphs in which it will take more effort.

At level 6 you can just start chucking at people with E -> R for humongous chunks of damage every time it is up. It really is insanity watching them recall just as soon as they returned to lane.

I would rate Anivia as #2 for burst that keeps the damage even in the late-game.

#1 would be Lux who is another terrific mid but few people know that is the case because people build those most worthless Boots of Lucidity on her instead of Sorcerer's Boots that will maximize her damage.

Both of these characters have humongous amounts of crowd control that offer incredible peel, large WTF damage and free hits on the enemy for every person on your team.

These two characters control teamfights and I really do not know how any person could argue against this fact.

DM Lee

Recruiter

09-12-2012

Syndra is so fun! she is supposed to be really hard but i caught on really quick. she is meant for higher level of play due to her learning curve. however she will be highly played and you said you were looking for underplayed mids

BladeCrossBlack

09-12-2012

Hmmm Xerath being under played?......

I don't know about Anivia but I think you are under rating Xerath... Or may be not but gap closer can't really kill you instantly unless you really are standing stil, in the late game especially when he has more than 400 ap or more his passive just makes him 'wth' to some champ

By the way again for people who are checking my stats in NA server, I can't play NA server because of my location issue....I am playing lol in different server (obviously)

Anyway from my experience he is good champ to harass other ap mid champs. And his second skill that granting you longer range? You know what you get after the release? You get movement speed boost, so that before the gap closer trying to catch you they are in for new troubles. They need to face your teammates. (who are ready to hit them hard)

But Xerath, you really need to be aware of you map because not all the time your team will be there to help you out. I think it depends on your preference and I chosen Xerath because of his Lore (even though some people may say it's not the best Lore but I think it's interesting)

Btw he is really an amusing champ to control the game. Of course thats just a opinion of mine

Sodaen

09-12-2012

I just haven't played Xerath, that's all. I'm sure he has great strengths. Mostly my problem is that Xerath lacks crowd control and I feel that every mid should have crowd controls out the wazoo otherwise we're kind of missing the point.

Because you should be there to not only do humongous damage but also to peel off of your other carries in order to protect them from dying, it just is not only the jungler and top's job.

For me it is important to play insane CC mids so that we do not end up with no way to protect each other but that is the mentality I have when I play any role.

BladeCrossBlack

09-12-2012

Quote:
Sodaen:
I just haven't played Xerath, that's all. I'm sure he has great strengths. Mostly my problem is that Xerath lacks crowd control and I feel that every mid should have crowd controls out the wazoo otherwise we're kind of missing the point.

Because you should be there to not only do humongous damage but also to peel off of your other carries in order to protect them from dying, it just is not only the jungler and top's job.

For me it is important to play insane CC mids so that we do not end up with no way to protect each other but that is the mentality I have when I play any role.

True, but when he is well built, trust me the enemy team will try to dodge your ultimate crazy which provides chances for your team to grab those well cooked meals and he's cool down is massively low when you get most of CDR and able to stun your enemy more often
The problem with him is that he needs lots of practice and evaluation of self... I mean I didn't play so well with him for few weeks but as I get use to him and also due to some items added recently he is my favorite ap champ. he could definitely be a good champion to try out

Souldier

09-12-2012

IMO, Syndra is a ton a fun and powerful (after release she will be nerfed just like every other champ but nerfs don't bother me as much if its not so hard)
Although Syndra has Maximum difficulty, but it was easy to catch on. I played normal games with her and the major problem i faced was that she (IMO) was slow as living hell can be. However, her Ult + E combo can decide a close game with that massive stun + Knockback.

TealNinje

09-12-2012

Xerath is probably the best pure nuker in the game, with his 4 area effect spell burst combo (actually pretty close to 5, since Q's cooldown should be almost over by the time you finish his 3 ult casts), but outside of that he's a combo caster with charge-up times.

Anivia, on the other hand, is one of the best area denial champions in the game, if not THE best. Her ultimate does enough damage and CC to deny enemies access to that section of the fight, completely ignoring her ability to cut off some of the enemy team from even participating in the fight. Her damage itself isn't spectacular (aside from her double Q hits and empowered E; if she get's both of those on someone they are definitely in pain), but it's enough to win middle lane for her, usually.

Both choices are fantastic teamplayers, but might not have the raw damage and simplicity to be your absolute first pick.

DesertFox

09-12-2012

I think I will go with Anivia then. I can't decide whether to buy syndra or not before free week. Not taking my chances ever since I bought Viktor.