Upcoming Changes to the Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-12-2012
39 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadshotCalamity View Post
Lyte, you keep calling this an experiment even though it isn't. There's more than one independent variable. How will you be able to accurately judge which aspect brings players to use the tribunal? How will you determine what works well and what doesn't work as much?
The simplest, most straight forward experimental designs try to isolate it to 1 independent variable and several dependent variables. However, it's possible to run experiments with multiple variables. There's more noise, but since we're not publishing a paper on this we have a bit more freedom to play with our science.

If I wanted to know the exact impact of just introducing the Halls of Justice, or just introducing the Justice Reviews, then the current design wouldn't work. However, we have enough data in the background to explore questions such as the general impact of extrinsic versus intrinsic rewards.

Morphine

09-12-2012

I skip a lot of cases when I do the tribunal. It's disheartening to hear that I'll be forced to vote after five - I skip maybe half of the cases I'm presented with because I feel that they're borderline but not clear-cut enough to warrant punishment.

I'm not at all interested in this new tribunal where the removal of tangible rewards is being marketed as a "feature" and will not be participating in it, but I am worried that people will be more inclined to punish a case they would have previously skipped because of the skip limitation - especially because punishing is probably statistically more likely to be the 'correct' option. (Even more so if it snowballs - more people spam punish instead of voting accurately, increasing the amount of cases ultimately judged as 'punishes', reinforcing that behavior - etc.)

RiotAaronMike

Software Engineer

09-12-2012
40 of 92 Riot Posts

Great suggestions! Also, I wanted to point out that the new level limit for the Tribunal is 20. Come on in and participate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
I am not yet level 30, so things may have changed in the Tribunal by the time I get there, but I had looked forward to giving the Tribunal a try since I started playing League.

That said, it's fairly easy to consider alternative rewards that would be compelling yet not IP.

Justice Points

I had this idea on my way home from work today. Why not create an entire subsection of rewards that are only obtainable via Justice Points, earned from quality Tribunal case judgments? These could be unique skins ("Hammertime" Draven, for instance), forum badges for those who want them, unique summoner icon perks, perhaps an obtainable summoner spell that could be used in-game, unique quintessences that offer some kind of interesting stat, the sky's the limit, really.

In-Game Warning of Problem Players

Allow quality Tribunal judges to warn players in-game with an official warning through some kind of in-game utility. If you judge cases, say, 80 or 90% of the time accurately and you have at least 100 cases under your belt, you should have a keen eye for aberrant behavior outside the Summoner's Code. Allow summoners who judge well to make a summoner's screen flash with a warning on their next death or Recall to base that their behavior is inappropriate and they had better fix their attitude or there will be consequences (e.g. a report that might have a higher weight than standard reports).

Riot Points

I know, I know. You're taking away Influence Points. Hear me out. Reward consistency here. For every X number of correct cases you judge in a row, you get 10 Riot Points. It could be 10, or 15, or 20. I'm not sure what the statistics are on how many players actually get 10 in a row, but the idea is to reward scrutiny and accuracy here.

Free Champion/Skin every X correct cases

This one's simple. Every 500/750/1000 correct cases, allow for the player to select a free Champion or Skin. No strings attached, it's all in the player's hands, and they only get one skin or champion.

There are certainly other options but these were the lowest-hanging fruit I could think of off the top of my head. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2012

Why does this have to be "instead of"?

Rabidwhale

09-12-2012

I never cared about the meager IP reward you got from the tribunal, I cared about getting rid of "toxic" players, but there was little to show for my effort in that department. This changes everything, I will definitely play an active role in the tribunal now that I can see the good that I am doing. Getting rid of Toxic players is enough reward, If only there was a way to stop them from making a new account after they were banned though.

Xaerie

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koillu View Post
Just as I was thinking that the Tribunal was doing a slow job at taking ragers out of the game, you slow down the process even more by taking out most of the incencitive to do the Tribunal, wow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourescence View Post
Yep, I don't get money for it so why should I do it. If that is the view of the players, they deserve to get trolled by trolls.

Incorrect. They're actually doing themselves a favor by getting rid of the people who solely did it for "money" and are doing it for the sake of getting rid of the people who make the community a painstaking atmosphere. Besides, they're transitioning pretty well by allowing the IP rewards to continue until September and I'm sure they are happy to cut the losses they'll get from people who "only do it for the money."

I'm absolutely sick of the people who go into games with this disgusting vocabulary filled with only insults. I hope the Tribunal makes a huge difference on the community. Taking away the IP incentive will also weed out most of the trolls who pardon people or punish people for no good reason.

The Tribunal is an important aspect of LoL and should be taken more seriously. I'm personally excited to see the accuracy ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMyung View Post
Have you considered giving away exclusive skins to the top 100 or something along the lines? That would make being active in the tribunal very appealing.
This is a wonderful idea. Something simple such as the skins that we get for "liking" or "subscribing" to Riot on certain social media web sites. I believe if it were something they implemented that there should be large stipulations such as the person's accuracy needing to be above a certain percentage...etc.

SolidSp33d

09-12-2012

How about a special Kayle skin or Kayle summoner icon for a really impressive tribunal score?

RiotNinjaTabby

Web Developer

09-12-2012
41 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliai View Post
I skip a lot of cases when I do the tribunal. It's disheartening to hear that I'll be forced to vote after five - I skip maybe half of the cases I'm presented with because I feel that they're borderline but not clear-cut enough to warrant punishment.

I'm not at all interested in this new tribunal where the removal of tangible rewards is being marketed as a "feature" and will not be participating in it, but I am worried that people will be more inclined to punish a case they would have previously skipped because of the skip limitation - especially because punishing is probably statistically more likely to be the 'correct' option. (Even more so if it snowballs - more people spam punish instead of voting accurately, increasing the amount of cases ultimately judged as 'punishes', reinforcing that behavior - etc.)
Let me clarify how the skips work. You are not forced to vote after your 5 skips are used. You can continue to skip cases, they just count against the votes you are allowed for the day.

demonnoob

09-12-2012

As a tribunal user i am extremely happy to hear these changes, the ip reward wasn't what i was coming for so the new system looks awesome.

Randyblythe

09-12-2012

I still don't fully understand why you are taking away the IP and putting in this system. It has been proven that people don't really hit the punish button instantly because you don't get IP for an incorrect case.

I'm just... confused.