What's the popular concensus on Kayle's role?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klinkin

09-19-2010

While there was a decent amount of buzz and guide-writing when Kayle got her most recent rework, since then things have died down quite a bit. According to LoLBase.net, she's still quite popular (somewhere in the area of 3%), but I haven't seen many other people use her in quite a while. I'm thinking of writing an updated guide for her, but I have limited experience with different builds, and I'd like to hear some other opinions. How do you play Kayle, and how do you see her played by other people? Also, what ELO does she get the most use in? Shurelia has called her a high-tier champion, but I don't see much of her in my ELO bracket (mid-high, I would guess; I play mostly unranked games). I would really appreciate input from high-ELO players on this, but I think it's important to also hear from players lower down the rankings, too.

reaver99

09-19-2010

Early game support, late game carry. Please people, don't ever play her as pure support.

Schweinhund

09-19-2010

Yep, she's hybrid carry/support. DRing->Merc Treads->Rageblade->Nashors. E/W/Q/E/W/R. Max E and W first, only get one level of Q (slow doesn't scale with level). Once you have Rageblade you can melt faces, but bubbling your hard carry will always be your most important task.

xDiamantx

09-19-2010

Support DPS, her damage output is really high and she can heal her teammates, I think she's better as the secondary dps than an actual carry, she's a good carry but needs someone to keep the enemies in range.

FckMan

Recruiter

09-20-2010

i just won 6 straight ranked games with kayle with an average of 4/1/8. all i did was protect the most important player on the team, grabbed golem since i didnt have nashor's for the CDR and kept healing everyone with no consideration for myself as i stayed behind everyone and ranged with E. 4 of those games came with a surrender at 25 so my numbers arent that big, if it lasted im sure i couldve had more opportunities to raise it.

core build started with meki pendant 2 health pots, then turned it into manamune, grabbed boots, rushed rageblade, get sorc boots or mercury treads, depending on the situation. then if there's time, nashor's starting with stinger first for attack speed + rageblade. you get 10% CDR from it too, same as the codex, so that doesnt matter.

some may go why not clarity, well when you lane, last hitting is a must, dont waste mana unless you need to. check enemy magic resistance to see whats up. squishies will get sent back easily with Q. i use flash and cleanse the whole way. saved lives. flash works both ways, attack and gtfo. flash > Q > E > turret dive > R > slain an enemy.
the tear of the goddess will pretty much do you well which makes clarity useless. then you convert to manamune, you wont need clarity ever again, at least from the games ive played in the past, i came to realize that iive been forgetting i have clarity. just didnt need it. now of course you can get clarity because it adds attack damage with manamune's passive, thats fine, whatever you floats you boat.

masteries at 9/0/21 focusing the 9th on mag pen. cooldowns, movement, flash, mana regen.

several games i got aegis and began the build on banshee's veil but never completed, they surrendered. after rageblade, a situational item, preferably survivability would be a good idea. but if the enemy team is full of fail, go all out power. was working on banshee's cuz veigar was pissing me off.

Vacazar

09-20-2010

kayle is a situational carry with an extremely good support. she deals a lot of damage because ad as well as ap are contributing to her damage output and she can't be stopped by only one kind of armor. that's what she uses her e for. her heal is extremely good early game and provides a strong escape mechanism. during early game, she is good at farming with her e and can stay in a lane pretty long due to healing abilities and in mid to late game she dishes out some awesome damage.
it's also possible to play kayle as a tank btw.

M4nTiCoR3

09-20-2010

Kayle like many other champs in the game can fill multilple roles based on how you spec her masteries/runes and what gear you buy. Her passive however is clearly for dps gains, so incoprating some dps into her build is essential. Rageblade is largely considered her only true core item (the passive benifit for the cost is just too good), with nashor's and gunblade getting some attention as well.

Kayle benifits greatly from attack speed items for enhacing her dps, and from CDR for enhacing her support capabilities. With the right gear, her mixture of physical/magic damage makes it very hard for enemies to stack AR as a counter to her dps capabilites. With max CDR, her 2 support abilities are up very quickly, and her RF(e) will be up for every creep wave, making her essentially a ranged dps endgame.

Due to her versatility, her best role will be to fill whatever holes your team is lacking. No tank...build Aegis. No physical dps...build IE. Need a healer/support...grab soul shroud. She can be effective in many roles, which is why i find her a much stonger choice on TT where champs are sparse and needed roles are many. In SR, she falls short of many more specailized champs as far as pure effeciancy, but can still be an effective choice if played well with both your team and the enemy teams in mind as you shape your build.

JLP2005

09-20-2010

We had a really great discussion about Kayle about 2 days ago and I think that if you have any questions about Kayle, the topic I created http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=252273 will be a really great reference for you to figure out Kayle's niche.

I really do hope this helps.

Klinkin

09-21-2010

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start on my guide after I try out some of those new item ideas.