Question about the Rune Wars

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ouroboro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

1 Week Ago

So I read something the other day on the Dominion story page that basically said this:

“What do you think would have happened if the League hadn’t stopped Demacia and Noxus in Kalamanda? I can sum it up in four words: the sixth Rune War.” -- Ryze, the Rogue Mage

What were the other five Rune Wars about?

Source: http://dominion.leagueoflegends.com/crystal-scar

LordHippoman

1 Week Ago

People used a lot of really strong magic, and it messed things up. Lots of species went extinct or into hiding (Skarner and the Brackern), completely terraformed some areas, and killed tons of people. The League was created pretty much specifically to stop all the war that was breaking out so they wouldn't completely destroy Runeterra. Sort of a Nuclear Apocalypse style thing, but more magic oriented.

Ouroboro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHippoman View Post
People used a lot of really strong magic, and it messed things up. Lots of species went extinct or into hiding (Skarner and the Brackern), completely terraformed some areas, and killed tons of people. The League was created pretty much specifically to stop all the war that was breaking out so they wouldn't completely destroy Runeterra. Sort of a Nuclear Apocalypse style thing, but more magic oriented.
Yeah I know this, I meant each one in particular :P

LordHippoman

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboro View Post
Yeah I know this, I meant each one in particular :P
You'll have to break into Riot Headquarters and raid the secret Lore vault then, friend. Godspeed.

Ouroboro

1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHippoman View Post
You'll have to break into Riot Headquarters and raid the secret Lore vault then, friend. Godspeed.
Foiled again.

GenociderX

1 Week Ago

Aatrox has been in a couple. Ask him lol

Cookiehime

1 Week Ago

I still don't know much about the Rune wars aside from the idea that they caused massive magical destruction, driving wildlife to extinction and wiping out entire civilizations. Another Rune war could possibly end the world and I believe that's why the IoW was created.

EDIT (Okay, just putting together what I found out about the wars/those who were present when they occurred):

I think Zilean's been through one of the wars. His homeland Urtistan was completely destroyed by one of them if I'm not mistaken.

There's also Xerath. But I think he was imprisoned before several wars broke out and destroyed the ancient civilization of Shurima.

And there's Aatrox who helped the Protectorate during the war against the Magelords. Who were the Protectorate and Magelords? Did those civilizations completely disappear... or have they survived to become the city-states present in Valoran today?

Though no one truly knows what happened there, let's not forget the ruined and long-forgotten civilization of Icathia where few dare to tread... and even fewer live to tell the tale.

On a slightly different note, if you take a look at the map of Valoran (http://leaguetales.files.wordpress.c...626-174131.jpg), you can see that the lower half of the continent looks pretty desolate. I guess this is where the most violent Rune wars took place.

I do not know in which order the wars broke out, but I guess we have at least some recollection of what could have happened in the past with those fragments of history.

Cookiehime

1 Week Ago

I edited my post to accommodate some new information I found by revisiting the lore. I hope this helps you learn a little more about the wars.