Is Wukong an Ascended being???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Full Frenzy

6 Days Ago

So according to Riot, Ascended beings share the traits of being powerful, immortal, and animal/human like (with the exception of Xerath who went too far):

From Wukong's current lore, you will see that a sage performed a ritual aimed at obtaining immortality which backfired producing a Monkey being with incredible powers. Anyone else seeing the similarities?

SO

Is it possible that, although probably unrelated to Shurima, the sage performed an Ascension ritual that backfired (big surprise) and produced an Ascended being from the runestone? Or, as an alternate theory, released an Ascended being that was imprisoned inside the rune stone, perhaps by his own stone powers in a defensive attempt (losing his memory in the process)?

I think this would be a cool way to continue from this new plot point of Ascension, as well as adding more characters to the list of Ascended beings, and yet taking Ascension in a different direction. Either way, I would also like to know from Rito what the Monkey King would think of the Emperor of the Sands.

Do you think Wukong is or should be an Ascended being?

Foolish Lantern

6 Days Ago

I am not sure. It certainly seems possible, as there are some similarities between Wukong's awakening and ascension. It could be that the sage stumbled upon the ritual of Ascension without fully realizing what it would do. However, it is stated the sage was leader of the uplifted monkeys, a fairly new culture that I sincerely doubt had knowledge of Ascension as the Shurimans knew.

In my opinion, it is a case of apples and oranges; both are fruit, yet distinct. Ascension transcended the mortal body of a human being, the ritual performed by the monkey sage destroyed the runestone, or perhaps transformed it, creating Wukong. In addition, both draw their inspiration from separate sources, the Egyptian pantheon for Azir, Nasus, and Renekton, while Wukong is cut and paste from Chinese mythology of the actual Monkey King.

In short, I say no. According to lore, it is a clear and resounding maybe.

GenociderX

6 Days Ago

Wu Kong is just the monkey king, from the Chinese legend.
A monkey that came from a stone. In the original, he had godly powers, and was good at martial arts.
I wouldn't say he's an ascended. That only pertains to those in Shurima. It's and ancient legend of Shurima, so It have to revolve around there

Full Frenzy

6 Days Ago

I'm aware of the Inspiration behind Wukong and his back story. However, I would not call him cut and paste because at the end of the day, he is not Son Goku from the Chinese legend, and I suspect that when moving forward, Riot will want to develop key distinctions that will separate their character from a carbon copy of the books he was taken from. I think that making him an Ascended being would help tie him to the rest of the League universe while making him seem more powerful.

Also, there are a Lot of similarities between his current lore and the Ascension lore going on, the key difference being whether he was ever human or not. However, I see no rule stating that only a Human can Ascend.

As for the Sage not knowing the ritual necessary, I find that to be non factor. The idea of Ascension is likely universal across multiple cultures, with similar rituals that may produce similar but slightly different results. I know that one big source that Riot drew inspiration from for this new Ascension line was Stargate (I noticed it immediately, and a Rioter later confirmed it in reference to their Galactic skins). So in conclusion, I see no reason why the Sage couldn't have been performing an Ascension ritual. Remember, their culture may have been new, but

A) Ascension is no where close to new, as it has existed for thousands of years (enough that Nasus and Renekton are described as pretty dang old), so I highly doubt that something so old would be confined to just Shurima

and

B) The surrounding monkeys became intelligent through the powers of the rune stone. If Wukong was imprisoned inside the rune stone, it is possible that his sub conscious power was reaching out to his monkey subjects, giving them the tools necessary to release him. Or perhaps the rune stone was sentient in some form, and it gave the monkeys a tool in order to help it ascend, and it took the Ascended animal form of the Monkey, because their spirits were tied into its creation.

I see a lot of possibilities for Wukong beyond "let's just rip this off the legend of Son Goku", and I see a lot of reasons why Wukong could somehow be related to what is going on in the Shurima event. I mean, Wukong is made of stone, and the rest deal with sand! Sand is like ground up stone! Anyway, I hope that someone from Riot would confirm whether Wukong is, or in the future could be, somehow related to Ascension. It seems like a fair question!

GammaRayZero

6 Days Ago

YO DAWGS! How is it hangin ma BROTTTTTHHHHEERRRSS!? ANyway, out to you fellow homie-g badass champion-slinging summoner out there, Id like to ask you to chelp me get Riot to respond to my post: "Lore with Gameplay, and a Request to Riot." SO I can get Riot to come out and give me dem digits to there secrets and answer some questions that YOU want to know too. Thank you all and I'll see you on the Rift. PEACE OUT!

Full Frenzy

5 Days Ago

If you're going to spam another thread to get attention for yours, at least add something to the topic you are posting on.

GammaRayZero

2 Days Ago

Lol u have a point. This actually is interesting but what id say probabaly isnt much different from the others.
But anyway Id say Wukong is ascended for the mere fact that like nasus and renekton he is an animal with humanish features (he can walk on his two feet perfect) and he was born pretty much stronger than any of his monkey kind. Since Nasus and Renekton are based off Egyptians gods like Anubis and Sobek, and Wukong is based off his incredibly powerful Journey to the west version, I'd say they are connected godlike anamorphic beings. Also (this part isnt canon anymore unfortunately) In the Journal of Justice it should be noted that Wukong responded to a question that he never beat Jax before, which might refute this IF Jax lore didn't specifically say that when he joined he beat the **** out of many champs, during his time he had Nasus in the roster so he obviously could well hold his own against the ascended being, meaning Wukong didnt get beat by Jax cuz hes just an enhanced monkey, but Jax is himself equal to these beings. (His lore Im very interested in as well) but like I said this isnt canon anymore.
His abilities also seem to not just something a stronger monkey would have, his nimbus and his clones are another reference to Journey to the west (jhis staff is too, but that was given to him by Master Yi.)
Basically Id just assume he IS ascended because of his connection to his mythos, like Nasus and Renekton are connected to theirs.
Thats my take

GenociderX

2 Days Ago

Son Goku was one of his names, Wu Kong is his actual name.

LordHippoman

2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenociderX View Post
Son Goku was one of his names, Wu Kong is his actual name.
That's true, but Wukong is still a reference to that character, not the character himself copypasted into Runeterra. The Wukong of League has an entirely different backstory.

I don't know if I'd consider Wukong Ascended. He is an Animal Man, but he has no ties to Shurima or the Ascension Ritual, like Nasus/Renekton/Azir. I think it's a little strange that there's just this random race of sentient monkeys in the middle of the jungle, and Master Yi is really the only one who knows them. (Aside from poor Doran, kicked in the head by a donkey.) But weirder things have happened in Valoran.

SecretLore

2 Days Ago

Overall the plague jungles seem to make animals sentient(rammus became sentient there,wukong is from there and rengar might be from there too),but well rammus might get a different origin now and I could actually imagine wukong getting one too(i mean the plague jungles and ionia are pretty much on the opposite sites of the map)

would however find it cool if they actually added more to the plague jungles.