support question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadow Wolf 47

09-11-2012

Usually, if I am playing support with somebody I don't know, I ask if they have anything in particular they would like me to build aura wise. However, I occasionally have somebody tell me something along the lines of "what, is it oyur 1st game as support???
noob"

So, what are your opinions on this?

DRTYFSHTNKS

09-11-2012

i think your just trying to be the most helpful support you can be, doing nothing wrong man <3

VanillaCrunch

09-11-2012

Whenever I ask, the team suggests. Just build whatever your team needs. Heavy AD = Zeke's. Heavy AP = Abyssal.

MoreMedz

09-11-2012

It is always a sensible thing to ask, and whoever calls that noob has attitude problems.

One advice though: don’t assume your team knows more about supporting than you do. Sometimes you have to make that call as to what will help your team the most, even if they may not realise it.

foxfire100

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMedz View Post
It is always a sensible thing to ask, and whoever calls that noob has attitude problems.

One advice though: don’t assume your team knows more about supporting than you do. Sometimes you have to make that call as to what will help your team the most, even if they may not realise it.
This. Lots of this.

It's good to ask if you have a hybrid (Teemo can benefit equally from just about any aura item) although it's usually best to make this call yourself - building whatever your team needs based on how the game is going and what they are building. Asking what they want you to build is NOT by ANY means a "noob" question - it's being polite and trying to be helpful.

People in this game just like to get pissy and call anyone a noob for anything. I once was playing Soraka and got reported for "stealing CS" since I was starcalling minions to keep them away from the turret while our ADC was dead. Apparently I should have let the turret kill them.

Supports get a lot of hate. You usually just have to roll with it.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2012

Career AD Carries generally have an aura about them that they are the best ever and you should worship the ground they walk on, even the good ones. That's why they are AD Carries.

The difference is understanding what makes you better or trying to do things despite people. The first wins games, the second pisses people off and loses games.

If you get raged at, just explain "I'm just seeing if you have any preferences, I can go with my basic build and what I think is needed."

Support and Jungler has it bad, its just part of the game. If bot fails its the supports fault, if the team fails its the jungler's fault.

You have to obtain a thick skin or find another game if you want to prosper, let those who will rage, rage, and be as nice as possible and they may just stop once they see you pull off some amazing plays.

VeryFamous

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMedz View Post

It is always best to just assume you are the best person on your team. Trust your own judgement. If you really have no idea, look at a guide. I am never one to tell someone how to build or criticize a build, because if someone is willing to take my advice, they are obviously not confident at all in their build and are so new to the role they are listening to a random guy in a game.

Any role you play often you would never listen to some random guy playing a different role than you in a game. So I can see why someone might call you a noob for it even if you are trying to be helpful/polite.

Skidochufada

09-12-2012

Part of supporting is just being a magnet of hate. If my ADC overextends, and we get ganked, I tend to try and take some of the blame... "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't tell you that you were over extended just a tad, and the jungler was in our side. Can you watch a little better in case I mess up again"?

Also, aside from auras, there are also other necessary items you can get. I've gotten an Executioners Calling before on Taric (because nobody else thought a grievous woulds help take down Swain, Soraka, and Mundo.)

Always MIA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2012

Eh, people will be people. Don't let that deter you from asking for input from your team!

Some times your carry might prefer that Aegis instead of Zeke's. They may even be ok with you get a WOTA for your AP Carry instead.

Keep doing what your doing, and rock out as a support!