How do I know what to get as a support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luxiere

09-11-2012

I'm usually playing Taric and Janna as support.

But after building Philo, HoG,and shoes, I don't know what to get next.

Zeke's, Aegis, Shurelya, FH, etc. How do you know what to get?

Syferfyre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-11-2012

Get Aegis, frozen heart, then upgrade Philo and HoG, Get Zekes if your team is ad oriented and wota if your team is ap oriented

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2012

The general path is to grab Shurelya's first (possibly even rushing it above T2 boots), then zeke's or aegis depending on whether you need tankiness yourself, if someone else can/is grabbing aegis, etc. Finish with locket for your 5th and final item (or 4th, after which you might get wota or banshee or something instead of aegis). This is more common when you think people will be able to use Shurelyas effectively (higher skill levels), and on the ranged supports (Janna, Soraka, Sona), and it's the cheapest route (since you can't expect to have much gold). For more gold, a 3rd gp10 early can be considered.

Tankier supports may rush aegis first instead of shurelyas, and think about glacial shroud towards FH if you're doing particularly well. True tank supports, esp. Blitz, may get glacial shroud first as a core item. You'll probably want to upgrade HoG into randuins instead of locket later as well. This is a much more expensive build than the 'standard' support set though, so you're only likely to get it if a game lasts forever or you do very well (early kills in lane, roaming).

iDpark

09-11-2012

Support
I start boots + 1 ward and one pot most of the time. (or charm + wards)
Rush Philo, Heart of Gold or kages.
Get a kindlegem. Finish merc treads
Glacial Shroud against fed ad team, or ad heavy teams
If one ap carry is facerolling the entire team, get a negatron and finish shurelias
If you still need more survivability to live through the ap carry’s burst. get a Giant’s belt. (into the Rylais)
Finish Frozen heart. (If someone else wants frozen heart, grab an Ageis, or start building the randumins
Get a negatron here, if you haven’t gotten any big MR items yet.
Tanky supports -> abysmal or Force of Nature (finish later/last)
Squishy support, get Rylais or abysmal (finish later/last)
1st back, grab boots/charm (the other one) + ward and pot(s)
2nd back, finish philo and grab a ruby crystal + wards + pots

Take exhaust + flash. When people dive you, exhaust is so valuable. GET KILLZ
I get m squints, ad marks, ar seals, and mr @ 18 glyphs.
9/0/1 masteries, taking the cdr in offense and defense.

I usually ask someone else on the team to build tanky, as with no gold, it’s nearly impossible to tank the majority of damage from the other team.

To explain why I start boots + 1 ward + pot, is because I put the ward down at lv 2-3 (where the jungle should be almost lv 4 now.)
Should be enough time until you get your charm + more wards /pots.
Boots are great for tanky supports and really aggressive lanes.Not getting poked by the other team, or caught in ganks is a bonus. If you’re pro you wouldn’t be reading this, and I’m not pro level. I play support a lot though.

Jesot

09-11-2012

Aegis after philo, hog, and t2 boots. Always. After that is situational.

The start is faerie charm, 3 wards, 2 health, 1 mana 99.9% of the time.

If I see you come out with boots, I'm getting my team to invade your jungle because that's just dumb.

I play Taric a lot. I usually end with merc treads, shurelyas, aegis, randuins... If I get a fifth item, it's situational. Frozen heart, zekes, thornmail, banshee...couple different choices.

Lord Puppy Fury

09-11-2012

I'm assuming you know to start Philo and HoG so I'll skip that.

Aegis pretty much goes on all supports. I usually put Mercs on my tanky supports and Ionians on my soft supports for boots. If I need CDR and don't have Ionians, I'll sometimes grab a Glacial Shroud before the Aegis. Soul Shroud is nice if you're AP heavy and/or need to stack health against true damage. On someone like Nunu the Abyssal Scepter is a good item. I've occasionally built a Sunfire Cloak on my tank supports if we're ahead and I want to press our advantage.

For the most part just experiment. Also work on building aura items that give you the most damage/utility or counter the enemy team's biggest damage threat. React and adapt to the game you're playing rather than following one build.

Luxiere

09-11-2012

Another question..

If I play Taric, who provides armor for the team, do I still need to rush Aegis after starting items?

Also, what about Sona? Do I disregard her aura's and still go aegis and stuff for the teams?

pro4never

09-11-2012

Depends on the team.

Many junglers or top lanes will buy either Reverie or Frozen heart.

Heart is very expensive so if they are buying it then it saves you a TON of effort. Personally on taric I tend to run...

Philo, Boots, HoG

Finish boots into mercs

Aegis

If no one on team is going to get fh then I start on it (the cdr is nice anyways), if someone else is getting it and enemy has a lot of AP then abyssal is worth it as you tend to want to get in there to initiate with stun mid game... problem is that you only want to do this if you're ahead enough that you can buy it and roam to other lanes and shut down their AP characters but once the game turns into full teamfights then it's less valuable.

Past that either go more tanky if your team needs a pure tank or more utility if you're good to go (Reverie and possibly zekes)

corallein

09-11-2012

Whether you get Aegis depends on whether anyone else on your team is getting it.
If no one else is, it should be the priority item after your GP10 items (yes, sometimes even before T2 boots), UNLESS your team needs the initiation / fleeing capabilities of Shurelia's asap.

Frozen Heart isn't a priority item because it's very expensive to finish, the components don't give great stats for support, and most supports are too squishy to make optimal use of it anyway (obviously, tanky melee supports can make better use of it, especially Blitzcrank).

And Oracles should also be on your list of items to buy.

BuceTheCaboose

09-11-2012

After I get Philo and HoG, I rush Aegis for my team (unless the Jungler is already getting it). Then I get Shurelia's after. I turn HoG into either Locket or Omen (but I usually opt for Omen, especially if I'm Taric). I sometimes rush a Zeke's if my team is doing really good just to give everyone ATS and LS. But your build just depends on how well your team is doing. If you're getting a ton of assists, get dem items. But don't neglect wards/oracles.