Mastery and Summoner Spells Brainstorm

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Master Heffer

11-07-2012

I read recently the masteries and summoner spells were getting looked at, so I thought about what changes I might be excited about. Masteries remind me of WoW's talents and Diablo 2's skill trees except for one massive difference: LoL masteries are exclusively passive. I liked getting new abilities, but in LoL, the only place I can get new abilities is summoner spells.

Here's the thought: tie existing and new summoner spells to mastery commitment. After the base lvl 0 summoner spells, unlock access to summoner spells based on the amount of points in a mastery tree. Take ignite for example - it's a totally offensive ability, but anyone can get it. Is that wrong? Not saying that, but it certainly feels unrewarding to nerf a spell like flash, which is predominantly utility, because it is used so heavily by non-utility mastery setups. Would it still be nerfed if it took 20 utility points to get it?

Note: I'm not suggesting using mastery points to unlock spells, I'm suggesting at n-points, the spell becomes available. There can be multiple tiers, such as 0, 10, 20, and 30 points in a single tree. The 20-pt unlock idea is designed to reward that 21st mastery point, because you'll lose access to the 10-pt tier in a different tree. The 30-pt unlock idea is designed to reward people who are all-in (whether this is viable or not is a different discussion).

I also feel summoner spells, in general, are too game changing and the CDs are too long (given anyone can use them with any build). The upcoming CD nerf only amplifies this. The thought here is there is value in lower powered, low CD summoner spells, such as a 30 sec CD snare or a scaling true damage mini-bolt. And there is also value in rewarding a 20-mastery setup (or whatever tier) with exclusive spells. Imagine if 20 mastery points in utility gave you a spell that could create a 5 second illusionary clone of yourself - you might see weird (hopefully viable) builds like a utility Darius exploiting those spells.

Lastly, summoner spell mastery augments are not decisions, they are mandatory. And they have no impact; you never, EVER think "Man, if this guy has exhaust augmented, I'm so dead!" Just put it in the regular spell or leave it out and replace the masteries with something else.

So what do you guys think? If masteries had tiers for spells, where would you put those tiers? What spells would you put for each tree/tier? What spells would you create at which tiers?

Antlan79

11-08-2012

The summoner spell that you described earlier used to create a clone really stuck out to me. I'd love a spell like that. Would you be able to control it like Shaco's ult or what? And as far as the 20 points in a tier, i feel like thats a little much. maybe 15. buts thats just me. It would seem like a good idea- especially for ignite.

Master Heffer

11-08-2012

I didn't really give the clone functionality much thought. I'm pretty sure controlling it would make sense, but it wouldnt do any damage or anything and would probably die instantly anyway. But if it eats some spells in the process or whatever, it would have been worth it.

I just felt the summoner spells were so...use it or die...it feels like they are ultimates and you're dead if you don't have it up. And they are so easily accessible with no trade off at all

NA Rukhron

11-09-2012

Actually there is an obvious trade-off when you're stuck with 2 summoner spells out of several options.
You're trading one for another.

Now, where is the flaw at that?
Some summoner spells are strong enough / weak enough to unbalance the trade-off.
Thanks to that flash is used somewhere around 46-48% of the time (almost 1 per champion).

What might help balancing the trade-off is to actually put an evolution in the masteries tree

For Example

Summoner Wrath opens Wrathful Power
That brings further modification to the spells like:
Ignite now deals more damage (and base damage can be reduced)
Surge now grants mixed penetration
Summoner Resolve opens Adamant Resolve
That brings further modifications like:
Heal now grants an AoE healing aura for the same duration of the debuff
Barrier grants bonus armor and magic resistance while on cooldown
Greatly increases bonus health after revival duration
Summoner Insight would open both Insightful Versatility and Focused Insight
Focused Insight would grant bonuses for the Summoner Insight masteries like:
Clarvoyance: grants Oracle to yourself while you're inside the area
Clarity: gains a mana regeneration aura while on cooldown.
Flash: increases range
Teleport: Can now target champions, doesn't stop then.
Insightful Versatility would grants bonuses to all summoner spells (or only the ones unnaffected by summoner's insight - whichever ends more balanced) - those bonuses would be focused more on utility aspects than power aspects such as:
Heal/Clarity: Increases percentage granted to nearby allies to 100%
Ignite/Exhaust: Increases cast range
Barrier/Cleanse: Now can be cast on an allied champion
Ghost: on cast removes slows and snares
Smite: When you gain gold through smite grants a bonus gold of the same ammount to nearby allies (excluding you), split amongst then. If there is no one else, gains the bonus for yourself.
Smite (alternative): Smite now stuns and can be cast on enemy champions but it does not damage them. (ohmygod gankamazing)
Surge: Now grants the bonuses to all nearby enemy champions and last 3 or 4 seconds. (Surge is a hard one)
While no example actually is definitive (or really matters) the idea could be considered.
Revive: While alive, can be cast in the nearest allied champion corpse, but they are granted the benefits from revival bonuses and take 2 seconds to return. (uberamazing)
For starter i'd say they would work like:

Summoner Wrath, Resolve, Insight: same level and point investment
The Upgrades: 1 point, requires 8 points and the lower level equivalent
Insightful Versatility: 1 point, requires Summoner's insight (yes.. Insight would open 2 stuff) and 12 points in the tree or 1 points, requires Summoner's Insight, Insightful Focus and 12 points in the tree (this version if it does affect all spells and not only the ones outside utility)

Now, i'm not saying your idea is bad, in fact I do realize the pros and cons, the main problem is that it goes against season 2 guidelines for summoner spells. (not that it was the best thing ever done forever, 'cause it wasn't)

I do love the "pro" that it will increase the trade-off for more powerfull spells and that it would make it more attractive to use the less used spells, but if it ends up working like old masteries it will just be a fixed point on the mastery option for your champion.
Not to mention it isn't so fun to use something for the lack of option nor is it merit of the spell actually being balanced to be picked that way.

Dreadwalking

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Rukhron View Post
Teleport: Can now target champions, doesn't stop then.
A flaw i see with this is a champion with stealth sneaking in while an inhibitor is down then the whole team teleports to them and destroys your nexus without a chance of you stopping them.