Dealing With Initiators in Team Fights

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Merxamers

09-11-2012

I've played two games recently in which our team was devasted late game by tanky AP initiators (first Alistar, then Skarner). I later found out that both of those players were Level 30 with over 1k wins (i'm level 22), but regardless, there should be SOME WAY to deal with this. OUr entire team could not kill alistar in the first game, and skarner could take on 2 champs at once at kill them both.

Any advice, or thoughts? (i played as morde and panth, respectively)

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2012

Killing the tanks is the ad carry's job. Some tanks can be melted if you can catch them in cc before they use their key tank abilities (silencing rammus while rolling in, for example). Poke also works well, if your team is able to stay mobile and back away from the initiate. If you can retreat while poking, you might get them low enough that they can be killed before their team can catch up if they force an initiate. Most tanks will be built to mitigate damage so you can't expect to burst them down (before their team joins them) but they often don't sustain as well.

Also, where are your own tanks? Pure tanks are generally cc/disruptors, so they can stall enemy initiates if needed. If you have bruisers instead of pure tanks, they may need to dodge the initiate and jump the enemy team instead, stalling them from joining the initiator.

Lord Puppy Fury

09-11-2012

Alistar and Skarner are both very strong and disruptive in team fights. If they're stacking armor and you don't have armor pen, then your best bet is to break their front line and get to the squishies in back, at least against Ali. Skarner is tough since he's both tanky and deals decent damage. In general though, if they have a team fight advantage, your best bet is to hit and run and/or ward and split push.

Merxamers

09-12-2012

thanks for the advice! in those matches, we didn't have a tank (it was solo q, so we had bruisers instead). i'll try to keep this stuff in mind 8)

VoiceOfUnreason

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merxamers View Post
Any advice, or thoughts? (i played as morde and panth, respectively)
The other thing I would add: if you recognize that your team lacks the composition, coordination, inclination, skill to deal with enemy tanks in a team fights, then take the game another direction (aka split push).