Best AP Carry Initiator

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hughes De Payens

09-10-2012

Ahoy all,

I love playing AP Mid and have gravitated, thus far, towards mids that have good initiation. The reasoning here is that in Solo Queue normals, the longer the initiation takes, the more likely it is for my AD Carry to slip up and get Blitzcrank pulled or latched onto by a sad mummy. So I'm wondering what you guys think are the best AP Carries for initiation, or at least to follow up on a mean initiation by someone else with some secondary CC.

I've narrowed my choices down to 3, but I wonder if anyone else has any ideas of champs that fill this job. My three choices won't be in order, they're just the three that I feel are quite strong, overall, for the job.

1) Cassiopeia - With flash + Ult, you can sometimes catch the entire enemy team for 2 whole seconds. It requires good timing, and somewhat of an element of surprise, but even if you don't manage the stun, you'll be doing significant damage to them in a big burst. The downside is that if your team is slow on the follow-up and you miss, you're going to explode. A possible solution? Zhonya's and/or Guardian Angel.

2) Kennen - This one's kinda nice because it doesn't even require Flash. You just E in like a madman, then W+R for big damage. You can use Zhonya's after the R and it keeps going, which is fun and trololol-ish. The major downside is if the enemy is alert and has someone with a stun, they can just stun you and you're likely to explode.

One really good way to use this is to E in right out of an Amumu Pull+Ult so you can get in, do the E and W, then get the R+Zhonya's off before they can CC you. This gives you double AOE Stun, plus Kennen does some major damage with all of these spells. Not only that, but you can chuck thundering shurikens around for some nice long-range cleanup after the enemy team realizes they're screwed.

3) Morgana - There's a reason she's banned so much. If she Flash+ults into the enemy team then uses Zhonya's, they're forced to burn flashes or otherwise disperse in any way they can, causing their positioning to go haywire and getting members picked off. If they don't, they take a huge burst of damage and a ridiculously long stun. Also, prior to doing it, she can dark binding then pool some squishy so they CAN'T get out of range if they step out of position.

So there you have it. Those are my choices for AP Carry Initiators. What do you guys think? Do you have any better choices? I think a good runner-up is Gragas since tossing his barrel into the middle of the enemy team has pretty similar consequences to using Morgana's ult.

Luxiere

09-10-2012

I love all your champs. Especially Cassio.

Other champs that I also like for initiating are Fiddlesticks, Annie, and and Zyra.

Resent

09-10-2012

Initiating fights is situational, but Gragas can initiate reaaaally well, but he can also fail it completely.

I don't really agree on Cassiopeia as an initiator, but she can do it, I suppose, it's more risky than Kennen and Morgana though, and I know they are excellent at it.

Galio could serve as an AP mid in very situational cases, and he can initiate really good. Just a thought there.

Fiddlesticks could be labelled as a good initiator, but he's honestly quite useless in the current metagame, especially when your enemies are competent enough to buy wards.

Hughes De Payens

09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxiere View Post
I love all your champs. Especially Cassio.

Other champs that I also like for initiating are Fiddlesticks, Annie, and and Zyra.
^_^ Thanks. I agree with Annie as a good option, that's true. She's got a nice AOE stun as long as she has it active, which isn't too hard to accomplish with her two untargeted skills (e and w).

Man of Troy

09-14-2012

Another initiator I like is lux. Double snare, AOE slow, possible entire team shield, and an ult you can lead with and sometimes clean up with. imo she is an extremly underrated champ. cc and damage rolled into one.

Magus Crow

09-14-2012

Viktor has an interesting option with his Gravity Device. Not exactly ideal for initiation but more often than not you'll scatter the opposing team.

Pigsfoot

09-14-2012

Fizzzzzzz

Haha killed your carry slowed half your team and trollvaulted flashed away

(Do not do around taric, sion etc)

ThorHammerz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Karthus. Press W, and you've essentially immobilized their entire team, as well as severely reducing their armor and magic resist for a full 5 seconds (also, you can subsequently just flash in with defile, and activate zhonyas to bring pain to their entire team).

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2012

Of the three, I like the choice of morgana the most. The ult + zhonias combo is the reason she is banned though.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Galio mid.

Catavatar131

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus Crow View Post
Viktor has an interesting option with his Gravity Device. Not exactly ideal for initiation but more often than not you'll scatter the opposing team.
Viktor is an excellent counter-initiator. Depressingly his gravity Device tends to fail as an actual initiation device