Ranked vs. Normal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Instant Lock

09-20-2010

I started playing this game right before Season 1, so I was super excited to see that there was going to be a ranked system right when I hit max level.

However, the more I lurk on these forums the more I see people complaining about the MM system, and about "ELO hell".

This struck me as odd because even at level 24 my teammates seem to actually understand what they are doing compared to level 1's. I saw a huge increase in skill, and while yes some games have feeders, overall my games seem pretty even in terms of skill.

So why in higher level ranked matches are people complaining about lack of skill when in normal level 24 matches I see consistently good play? Do people get worse with levels?

Also to avoid any flamers, I've been playing dota for about 4 years so I came into this game being pretty good, so I know what bad play looks like.

Jasonm75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

ok

Chawwyyyyyyyyyyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

Because having general knowledge and an OP champion makes people seem good at a game, however being at a rating where your champion's built in OPness can no longer carry you, you tend to fail and cause your team to suffer.

halfNakedNinja

09-20-2010

because people go into ranked knowing how to play 1 champion. and expect to always get their 1 champ, and then when the don't get it they choose a random one and play terribly. so as you may have guessed the majority of people who are going with the "i will learn one champ and rule the world" plan are causing others to grieve.

Kiryu

09-20-2010

Your level does not equal your skill. Someone can be level 30 and still have no clue how to play as a team, and someone at level 1 can completely dominate the game.

When you see someone complaining about a lack of skill in ranked games, it is usually a lack of synergy with the team, or a lack of willingness to work as a team. For example, I play Janna(not much recently, but overall I play her a good bit). In one game, I am completely worthless, and in another I am the reason for victory. Why? It's simply because of the ability for a team to work together. If you get a team full of I's, then you will lose.(I am the best. I know better than you. I have the most killed). Each loss adds to the dislike of Elo, and builds the mindset of Elo Hell. Add leavers and AFKers into the mix and you have yourself a nice little bundle of rage.

Also, most of the anger you see is caused by Solo Ranked Queue. The better players will find some friends and joined the Arranged team games. Those of us who don't have a lot of friends in the game, or simply don't have a schedule which will allow for a set team, are stuck running solo.

In general, your allies will not be that bad. They are about as skilled as you are. There are many that think they are better than they really are. This means that when they win a game, it was because they carried their "worthless" allies. If they lose, it's certainly not their fault. It must be because their allies were terrible. They never consider that their ally could be having a bad game, or that the reason their ally did poorly was because of the verbal abuse they spouted out every time something went wrong.

Or maybe it's the vocal minority of the players which happen to be bad. If everything is going well, why would you complain?

Instant Lock

09-20-2010

Thanks Kiryu, that reply basically answered all of my questions. I hope I can get to 30 soon and try out solo queue soon. I wouldn't be surprised if the forums are just misguided views on it.