Starting item for KogMaw

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noob2top

09-09-2012

I have trouble deciding between
Doran Blade
Doran Sheild
Dorans Ring
Vampire Scepter
Regrowth Pendant

I usally get W on Kog as the first skill, so overall I don't feel comfortable with Dorans Blade
I find these for my need

Doran's Ring or Vampire Scepter - Depending on who I get Vampire for squishies and Ring for a bit tankier champs(harasse with AP)

Doran's Sheild or Regrowth Pendant - If I find myself facing a strong early burst champ or being harassed

Do these item seem viable for the way I use them?

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

boots + 3 pots

GypsyReborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

boots 3 pot is probably always the best choice to start with. all the time....

Dry Ace

09-09-2012

Boots/3

Catavatar131

09-14-2012

Boots + 3. If you are laning against a low aggression lane and have sona + soraka a dorans blade is fine.

Resent

09-14-2012

Always start Boots + 3 health pots with Kog'Maw.
And get your E as your first spell. Just max W first though.
Laning phase is terrible for Kog'Maw if he's not careful, so you need the extra mobility to keep out of the way, and getting your slow really early will help keep enemies off your back.

Sereg Anfaug

09-14-2012

Yep, boots + 3 pots it is.

Edit: What's the rationale behind starting E? I find I almost never need it before level 3, so I always take it last, usually starting Q W, then increasing Q, then W. I do this because my goal when I play kog'maw is to passively farm, which means the bonus attack speed from the Q is helpful, and the mana cost of using W for cs only is prohibitive. If I do get engaged on, Q is a fairly strong deterrent, since it decreases armor and MR, and I still have W available from level 2 for the max HP % and extra range if/when I need that. Now, I realize maxing that increases the range further, but how essential is that? If I'm running away, the range is going to get smaller, not greater, if I'm actually at risk of dying, so it doesn't seem like I'd need all that much extra to kite while I escape.

That said, I do realize W is the key to Kog's late game, but by the time I'm there, I have it maxed anyway - I'm just not sure I see the point in taking it early at the expense of Q.

Catavatar131

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Yep, boots + 3 pots it is.

Edit: What's the rationale behind starting E? I find I almost never need it before level 3, so I always take it last, usually starting Q W, then increasing Q, then W. I do this because my goal when I play kog'maw is to passively farm, which means the bonus attack speed from the Q is helpful, and the mana cost of using W for cs only is prohibitive. If I do get engaged on, Q is a fairly strong deterrent, since it decreases armor and MR, and I still have W available from level 2 for the max HP % and extra range if/when I need that. Now, I realize maxing that increases the range further, but how essential is that? If I'm running away, the range is going to get smaller, not greater, if I'm actually at risk of dying, so it doesn't seem like I'd need all that much extra to kite while I escape.

That said, I do realize W is the key to Kog's late game, but by the time I'm there, I have it maxed anyway - I'm just not sure I see the point in taking it early at the expense of Q.
E is for those times your jungler wants to try for a level 2 gank. Personally I'd still open with W but you never know :S

That being said you never max it before W and Q, and in cases where you aren't getting a level 2 gank W opener is still stronger.

MuhGeeSher

09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2top View Post
I have trouble deciding between
Doran Blade
Doran Sheild
Dorans Ring
Vampire Scepter
Regrowth Pendant

I usally get W on Kog as the first skill, so overall I don't feel comfortable with Dorans Blade
I find these for my need

Doran's Ring or Vampire Scepter - Depending on who I get Vampire for squishies and Ring for a bit tankier champs(harasse with AP)

Doran's Sheild or Regrowth Pendant - If I find myself facing a strong early burst champ or being harassed

Do these item seem viable for the way I use them?
What are you going as? AD, ON-hit, AP?

As everyone else has said, Boots and 3 pots is the best starting item(s) for Kog.

DaystarFire

09-14-2012

Boots + 3 pots is the best in the current meta: you need the mobility for escaping jungler ganks (no boots is a "gank me now!" sign on most champions), and the potions for sustain.

The other items you listed are mostly early game items to get on your first back (or for double dorans, or similar). Regrowth pendant is good, but you'd have to be given the time to use the regen (not something you commonly get in most matchups).

The only non-boots start I see in tournaments is fairy charm and wards, and even that can be replaced with a boots + 2 wards.