Should games with leavers / disconnecters count?

Yes 11 32.35%
No 12 35.29%
Stop whining about being in ELO hell 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Dear Riot, WHY

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyfari

09-20-2010

Alright, so here's my question.
Why does a ranked game with a leaver still count?

As soon as someone leaves the game, it artificially inflates the ELO of the 5 man team, and artificially deflates the ELO of the 4 poor souls left behind.

I'm currently new to the ranked games, just hit level 30 recently. So far I've lost 3 games. One of them was a good game, I'm not upset about losing it. 2 of them had leavers on my team. So my ranking more closely reflects the amount of games people have bailed on rather than my actual skill (which still isn't much).

The only arguments I could think of for why they still count are twofold. First, I can understand that in an arranged game someone might leave in order to stop their friends from losing rating. This would be fixed by banning people who leave often, so it would be super difficult for a group of friends to keep doing this for long. Secondly, if someone leaves because "omg hax" (aka: they suck and someone is way, way better than them), I can understand the argument that they left because they are horrible players and you wouldn't have won anyways. I counter this argument with the fact that sometimes even a completely crappy player can do something amazing and win the game now and again. I think we've all seen that 1/15/2 feeder come out of nowhere last minute and ace the enemy team.

I'm not here to whine about being stuck in "ELO hell" due to bad players, I'm really just curious as to why players are being unfairly punished or rewarded based on either random chance (disconnections) or rage quits, and if this is even something that Riot is working on.

I know that in HoN if someone leaves the game no longer counts (at least it used to be that way way back in beta when I played), so it seems a viable solution. Lets see what you all think though.

Temujin650

09-20-2010

All this would cause is a bunch of people *****ing at the guy not playing well to leave so they don't lose ELO.

KalosCast

09-20-2010

If they just didn't count, it would be too open for abuse. Someone who leaves the game when your nexus is at half health shouldn't save your entire team from losing. And they could keep doing it for a WHILE a single 5-team would start getting full ELO for their wins, and losing 1/5th of their ELO on average from losses (assuming they all took turns).

If there was a leaver ban, it would still take 5 times as long for them to get to it, as well.

Devan

09-20-2010

I believe that we should keep things the way they are.

Yes, leavers are quite annoying and can ruin your time, ELO and such while playing a ranked game. But by joining a ranked game, you are accepting that there is a chance that such a thing will occur. And by taking that chance, you have no right to complain about it being unfair.

All is fair in love and war. If you don't want to deal with leaving pubs by taking that chance, you are open to the option of playing arranged or normal games. Your ELO is based on your decision to play. Though it may suck for you, in the end your the one who pressed the 'ranked' button.

LiFTeDyourFACE

09-20-2010

In my opinion, the game shouldn't count for the losing team, but it should for the winning team. Reason for this is if the losing team wants to be ****** bags, they can have someone leave the game so the winning team is denied their win. Besides that I don't see a huge problem with doing something like this. I understand some people say "it'll be abused to arranged teams won't lose", but if they're really willing to make a level 30 summoner just to leave games often with him....they have no life.

ShubNiggurath666

09-20-2010

I think an anti-leaver system should be put in place. I don't really see your options listed as viable since this could be abused. Simply make a "no leavers" option when creating games, so someone with a certain leaver % cannot join the game and all the ragequitting noobs can play with themselves and get a taste of their own medicine.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub****urath666 View Post
all the ragequitting noobs can play with themselves
lulz

KalosCast

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFTeDyourFACE View Post
....they have no life.
Yeah... that doesn't work when a lot of the regular players don't actually have a life.

Nyfari

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin650 View Post
All this would cause is a bunch of people *****ing at the guy not playing well to leave so they don't lose ELO.
Mute them. I do it all the time when people *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalosCast View Post
If they just didn't count, it would be too open for abuse. Someone who leaves the game when your nexus is at half health shouldn't save your entire team from losing. And they could keep doing it for a WHILE a single 5-team would start getting full ELO for their wins, and losing 1/5th of their ELO on average from losses (assuming they all took turns).

If there was a leaver ban, it would still take 5 times as long for them to get to it, as well.
Maybe then make leaver-games not count only for solo queue to mitigate this.

Nyfari

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFTeDyourFACE View Post
In my opinion, the game shouldn't count for the losing team, but it should for the winning team. Reason for this is if the losing team wants to be ****** bags, they can have someone leave the game so the winning team is denied their win. Besides that I don't see a huge problem with doing something like this. I understand some people say "it'll be abused to arranged teams won't lose", but if they're really willing to make a level 30 summoner just to leave games often with him....they have no life.
Actually I like this game a lot. It makes everyone happy, that way the winners aren't pissed about not getting their win and the losers aren't pissed about their unfair loss

Xquisite

09-20-2010

Me and my friends would make one of us leave right before were about to lose.