Breaking the meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GeNkStaZ

11-26-2012

I went Vayne top the other day to go against Darius. I raped him so hard... I had to use bruiser runes.. +25 armor yellows and quints, 10 armor pen, 5.1 attack speed reds , mr per lvl blues.. grabbed cloth armor 5.. he just got wrecked.. like literally. Oh I grabbed flash/ exhaust. He had no chance lul.

GeNkStaZ

11-26-2012

I wish the new meta was.. Top Bruiser with support.
AP mid with Support, and ADC bot. That would be epic..

VerumVenari

11-26-2012

CC/Double assassin bot. Kass/Panth, or Annie/Jarvan, or some combination of ad and ap, with cc and some high early damage or burst.

FaerellG

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noogums View Post
The meta won't change until Season 3 starts, new items are implemented, and the jungle is changed. Changes from Riot are what cause meta changes. We lowly players can't change the meta. Trying to do is, as stated, gimmicky, and will only work in the short term.
That is only partially correct.

Players can change the meta, but that requires a stable game environment where players can fully explore the potential of the existing game and true emergent gameplay can occur. Riot's business model interferes with emergent gameplay because the game itself changes every 1-2 weeks. This has a revolving door of strategies and character combinations. One day Vlad is unstoppable in lane due to massive sustain, the next, he's nerfed to hell and unplayable. This causes his ulti to be removed and the AoE team comp is less strong for it. There's a huge daisy chain of effects that can be caused by just nerfing or buffing 1 skill on 1 champion.

So long as riot continuously changes the game balance, the meta will never truly be in the player's hands. You have far fewer emergent strategies when players aren't given enough time to experiment beyond the existing/recommended strategies.

Etherimp

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
That is only partially correct.

Players can change the meta, but that requires a stable game environment where players can fully explore the potential of the existing game and true emergent gameplay can occur. Riot's business model interferes with emergent gameplay because the game itself changes every 1-2 weeks. This has a revolving door of strategies and character combinations. One day Vlad is unstoppable in lane due to massive sustain, the next, he's nerfed to hell and unplayable. This causes his ulti to be removed and the AoE team comp is less strong for it. There's a huge daisy chain of effects that can be caused by just nerfing or buffing 1 skill on 1 champion.

So long as riot continuously changes the game balance, the meta will never truly be in the player's hands. You have far fewer emergent strategies when players aren't given enough time to experiment beyond the existing/recommended strategies.

Agreed here.. And there's too many champions to keep all of them perfectly balanced. I really wish they'd stop spamming out Irelia clones though.

"Hey guys, how about we make another tanky bruiser assassin with a gap closer....but this time, we'll remove their mana and give them some other resource to give them more sustain!"

"Oh hey, that last champion really sold well.. Let's do the same thing ,but this time we'll make it an AP champion!"

InsertCleverNckn

01-22-2014

Any atempt to find new strategies and ways to play LoL should be smiled upon, not revered as strange or incompotent. FYI, breaking the meta would be more like having 2 junglers or having an ADC top, not like trying to use an AD champ as an AP.