Need Help with Tank Amumu Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gawthyc

09-08-2012

I've been playing Amumu a lot lately, and I love him!
My only problem is when it comes to builds because I couldn't make a good build to save my life. I generally play Tank or Tank/Jungle Amumu. Although, I don't jungle a lot with him just because I'm not a fan on how reliant he is on blue buff, so I mainly lane with him. I'm following one guide I found online. I could only really find one that was a tanky build (there were some tanky AP builds, but I don't quite know if I should go with that or not).

Here's the items the guide says:
Regrowth Pendant + H. Pot -> Philo's Stone
Heart of Gold
Boots -> Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi
Sunfire Cape
Abyssal Scepter
Rylai's
F. Heart
FoN
--------------
Situational Items:
Athene's
B. Veil
G. Angel
Randuin's Omen
Shurelya's
Thornmail
WotA
Aegis of the Legion

I don't really know how I could improve this, and I don't know if I should consider the tanky AP build, so I need some advice. How should I improve this? And, if you do think the tanky AP build is the way to go, what items should I consider?
Thanks!

Gawthyc

09-08-2012

Oh, I forgot to mention. Are any of these situational items not recommended?

TheUnburned

09-09-2012

AP Amu is the ONLY Amumu build to go with; it makes the most use of his capabilities as a champion. Not making use of his AP scaling is generally a waste. He can deal a ton of damage with AP, which is why they recently nerfed some of his ratios (it's still effective however).

Shurelya's and Randuin's are definitely the standard items in that "situational" list because they build from the Philo Stone or HoG. Those are typical because Amumu is usually going to be your team's initiator (although the Support may buy these, but two Shurelya's on a team is entirely viable).

Athene's is a great item for Amumu, but it's especially helpful if you're being counterjungled (and just about any GOOD jungler will counterjungle Amumu's blues early-mid game). It basically allows you to get by without your blue buff.

I wouldn't recommend Aegis of the Legion on Amumu however. The support will almost always buy this, and even if they don't, it's not nearly as effective on Amumu. Amumu positions himself in the middle of the enemy team, pefect position to apply debuffs to the enemies. Aegis requires you to be in the middle of the ALLY team to apply the buffs (although the range is pretty large, so it's not entirely useless).

I love WoTA on Amumu. More of a late-game item for him really, but try it out when you get a chance. He can deal massive AOE damage in a fight with an AP-build. If you build Randuin's on him, you could probably replace Frozen Heart with WoTA.

Gawthyc

09-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnburned View Post
AP Amu is the ONLY Amumu build to go with; it makes the most use of his capabilities as a champion. Not making use of his AP scaling is generally a waste. He can deal a ton of damage with AP, which is why they recently nerfed some of his ratios (it's still effective however).

Shurelya's and Randuin's are definitely the standard items in that "situational" list because they build from the Philo Stone or HoG. Those are typical because Amumu is usually going to be your team's initiator (although the Support may buy these, but two Shurelya's on a team is entirely viable).

Athene's is a great item for Amumu, but it's especially helpful if you're being counterjungled (and just about any GOOD jungler will counterjungle Amumu's blues early-mid game). It basically allows you to get by without your blue buff.

I wouldn't recommend Aegis of the Legion on Amumu however. The support will almost always buy this, and even if they don't, it's not nearly as effective on Amumu. Amumu positions himself in the middle of the enemy team, pefect position to apply debuffs to the enemies. Aegis requires you to be in the middle of the ALLY team to apply the buffs (although the range is pretty large, so it's not entirely useless).

I love WoTA on Amumu. More of a late-game item for him really, but try it out when you get a chance. He can deal massive AOE damage in a fight with an AP-build. If you build Randuin's on him, you could probably replace Frozen Heart with WoTA.
So, Aegis is no good then? I've never understood it myself. I know it's cost efficient, but I don't understand how stats work. (Like how much impact does the standard cloth armor have when jungling with someone else? It looks low, but it's apparently "essential" for some champs) Anyways, if someone else agrees that it's no good, that's one less item I have to worry about.

GypsyReborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

making use of amumu's ap ratios is good for a lot of reasons. a favorite item of mine to buy would be abyssal scepter for those hard initiates. of course aegis isn't that good for amumu but building it out of habit is a style of mine. im usually the tank for my friends when we duo queue or do 5 man premade norms. no clue why nobody likes it. so much fun :3.. anyway amumu is a very ap heavy tank while building him flat ap is very viable (not as much now after the scaling nerfs) its not a recommended thing to do.
WoTA is nice imo but its not something that is necessary to tank efficiently. yeah hes dealing a lot of damage with q ulti e and the constant crying but i don't think the health you gain back from that will be noticeable shurelyas and randuins are definite necessities for any jungle tank imo. whether you buy the shurelyas or not is totally up to you cause i usually start boots 3 pot into HoG and just start building items based on the enemy teams comp. philo stone is amazing for amumu yes but idk why but i haven't gotten into the habit to sink another 800 gold into a second GP5. idk how cost efficient it is to sink 1600 into 2 GP5's but i don't like doing it.

my build for jungle amumu : boots 3 pots -> (after a successfull gank or 2) -> HoG -> Merc Treads -> Sunfire -> Abyssal Scepter -> randuins or shurelyas (depending on which GP5 you got) -> Rylais (nice health and ap) -> last item is situational cause its really team comp dependent Heavy physical damage team: go Thornmail heavy magic damage team: FoN

just my 2cents. i personally like aegis on amumu cause you can pull off a lot of dumb **** with it. and it makes you pretty tanky early on. later in the game you can sell it for another situational item but its really all based on experience. the more you play amumu the more you get used to a specific build that fits different team comps.

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention. NEVER BUY WRIGGLES. EVER. if your buying wriggles on amumu or skarner or any ap/ad tank champion chances are your gunna lose the game cause wriggles sets you back so much gold. remember amumu and skarner use skills more then they do auto attacking so wriggles is terrible on them (or any tank in particular)

Gawthyc

09-09-2012

Wow. That's a lot to remember. Mind you, it was helpful.
The thing is I don't understand how to make a good build and how impacting items are. Like some people say, "Don't go with Shurelya's." and others are like, "No no! Shurelya's is awesome!" In the end, I don't know whether or not I should go with it because people say different things and I don't even understand how Shurelya's works; I just go with what people tell me to! I don't know whether or not certain items are helping me or how items with low Armor, MR, or whatever are still beneficial even though it appears that its stats are low.
Anyways, if there were such things as LoL classes, I'd so be attending them. XD

TheUnburned

09-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaKameleon View Post
The thing is I don't understand how to make a good build and how impacting items are. Like some people say, "Don't go with Shurelya's." and others are like, "No no! Shurelya's is awesome!" In the end, I don't know whether or not I should go with it because people say different things and I don't even understand how Shurelya's works; I just go with what people tell me to! I don't know whether or not certain items are helping me or how items with low Armor, MR, or whatever are still beneficial even though it appears that its stats are low.
Most items are situational, which means you need to learn to change your build based on the situation. Examples would be taking Athene's when you're either being counterjungled or you have a blue-dependent mid like Anivia; taking Frozen Heart against an attack-speed heavy enemy team; taking Quicksilver Sash over Force of Nature to counter suppresion champions like Malzahar.

I recommend looking at some articles on the LoL Wiki if you havn't yet: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...'s_Reverie

As for Aegis of the Legion, it's a good item, and it provides a lot of benefits to both you and your team, it's simply better used on your support due to the range of its aura.

Shurelya's is especially important for Solo queue, because you'll be using it for initiating. If you're queuing/teaming with the support, or you have some form of communication with them, you can tell THEM when to use its active and take a different item for yourself. Of course it becomes a useless item if you don't actually use its active :P

ShiferPRO

09-09-2012

Quote:
I've been playing Amumu a lot lately, and I love him!
My only problem is when it comes to builds because I couldn't make a good build to save my life. I generally play Tank or Tank/Jungle Amumu. Although, I don't jungle a lot with him just because I'm not a fan on how reliant he is on blue buff, so I mainly lane with him. I'm following one guide I found online. I could only really find one that was a tanky build (there were some tanky AP builds, but I don't quite know if I should go with that or not).

Here's the items the guide says:
Regrowth Pendant + H. Pot -> Philo's Stone
Heart of Gold
Boots -> Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi
Sunfire Cape
Abyssal Scepter
Rylai's
F. Heart
FoN
--------------
Situational Items:
Athene's
B. Veil
G. Angel
Randuin's Omen
Shurelya's
Thornmail
WotA
Aegis of the Legion

I don't really know how I could improve this, and I don't know if I should consider the tanky AP build, so I need some advice. How should I improve this? And, if you do think the tanky AP build is the way to go, what items should I consider?
Thanks!
This is the way i build my mumu. I try to be a bit more tanky though. Also it all depends on the other team for me. But AP mumu i heard is a very very deadly champ. I've just never tried it cause i was always the tank

Uncookedcat

09-09-2012

I build amumu.

Boots w/ 3 mana pots
Build Rod of ages
Build Rylais
Build Rabadons
Build abyssal scepter
Lastly get banshee vail

GypsyReborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-09-2012

Quote:
knowing the math on how much a stat can help you is really difficult imo. i just know how good some things are from watching Tourneys and professional streams. like aegis is amazing early but later in the game the health armor and MR are negligible to the point where you can sell it for something thats better for covering one of those stats(you should never buy an item that covers for a different stat then the previous item you had.) say you have Aegis which is 280 health 30 armor 39 mr and 8 AD (this includes aura stats as they are attached to you at all times when you have this item; this is amumu btw) you wouldn't sell it for something like a sheen cause sheen doesn't provide any of the stats amumu needs nor does it cover the stats from selling the aegis.you should sell the aegis for a Force of Nature or thornmail depending on what kind of team you have against you.