Playing solo queue when you don't know the basics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sarkhon

09-08-2012

Seriously.. getting tired of playing ranked... I just started. Went 2-3 in my opening set of games, with a leaver and afk'er, and a feeder who then quit.... these things happen, and I'm not complaining. Something those games had in common is that people understood the basics of the game...

This though... go into a ranked game and have a guy call ADC... then he locks in Nunu. Asked him if he's adc and he said, "no, Nunu AP." He obviously doesn't know enough to play ranked, but he's level 30 and has 15 champions so he can go in and cause people to lose ELO... great way to play your game Riot. Seriously, the issue I have isn't because he's a new player... it's because he called a role and then picked something else, and didn't know what an ADC even was... he did this after someone had already locked in Sona as support and our jungle noc and our gragas were already locked in... what do you want me to do riot!??! play the game, lose the ELO and get stuck in ELO hell because my team can't come up with a half decent comp? I'm not even mad that they didn't follow the "meta." I'm just mad that now we don't have an attack damage champion that can carry, so without completely throwing the game out the window with someone who doesn't even know the basics of team composition, and therefore probably doesn't know the basics of game mechanics, I have to sit through 40 minutes to lose some ELO and far farther away from 1200... I've played 8 ranked games! I understand that my ELO is going to be lower, and eventually things even out... but there is a difference between feeding and leavers and afk's and trolls, then just plain not knowing what you are doing...

Please, make it harder to get into ranked. Make it more than a level and champion count requirement.... 300 wins at least, so you don't just play with 5 champions and get to 30 like I did (seriously, Teemo, Janna, Taric, Swain, Ashe and once Lulu), then play in ranked games without understanding the role that your champion fills... or even can fill.

300 wins (even though I wouldn't qualify myself, you can't get to 30 and already have 300 wins and know absolutely nothing).

Now I have a 30 minute queue dodge timer because I wasn't going to sit through 40 minutes to lose ELO again.. it's not worth it...

Again, not made because someone avoided the metagame, because someone swapped roles, because of any of that... I'm mad because someone who didn't even know the basics of what his champion was supposed to do, the basic roles it can fill, and even what he was doing in draft (asked why it wouldn't let him pick one of the banned champions...) ended up in my ranked game where winning and losing actually matters... in blind pick and regular draft, w//e play what you want where you want and I'll make do... a loss is a loss.. however in ranked, winning and losing matters... the more you win, the less you end up with people like that... so you can control your own "fun" by winning a bunch... but since it's a team game you can only carry so hard... especially when you are at my ELO and expect to even out around 1.4k... I can't carry that hard yet... but I don't want to subject myself to hundreds of games stuck below the ELO of the players that I know I'm just as good as (the guys who taught me to play this are at 1.4-1.6k ELO and say that's where I should end up)... just because I get stuck with people who just genuinely don't know what they are doing.

Ulfang69

09-08-2012

Yea, should bum up the min requirements for ranked, granted i don't play ranked for my own particular reasons, but if i did id feel your pain there

Also...idgaf about what the "meta" is, honestly id use the "meta" to wipe my ass that's how much i think the "meta" means, its 1 thing to play ranked and want to show your good by your stats, its another to play and follow some junk that other people call to be the hip/now/wtf ever

Sarkhon

09-08-2012

Oh, I'm all for not playing the meta... tha'ts not a big deal to me at all... but if you call a role, or you call a type of champion, play that... don't play something else after everyone else has made an agreement, including you, to do something... seriously, calling AD and picking Nunu is... annoying.

Ulfang69

09-08-2012

oh i agree with you about the role/etc, pretty retarded callin 1 thing then pickin another, off topic though, have seen a few AD nunus rape face, specially with his BB on

EnlistedKnave

10-28-2012

Maybe Riot can put a minimum amount of normal games played before you can go into ranked...

vortical42

10-29-2012

Absolutely. I know I wasn't even close to being ready for ranked when I hit level 30. Not sure about the community at large, but for me 300 wins was the point where I went from simply learning the basics to actually improving areas where I was weak.
For those of you familiar with chess, hitting level 30 is like memorizing a few different openings, pretty much anyone can do it, and its certainly not enough to prepare you for tournament level play. Actually learning why those openings work and how to adapt them to a situation takes much longer and requires lots of practise.

Lovefall

Beaumains

10-29-2012

The suggestion posited has already been discussed, I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of guide for all of these issues that keep resurfacing.

For future edification, remember that carries are not actually required. The Taipei Assassins just reminded everyone just how important the early game can be, and there used to be a common gambit of running a bunch of strong early game champs to shut down the enemy and win the game before enemy carries could carry.