New Solo/Duo Ranked Champion Select system?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Otniel

09-08-2012

I'm tired of getting a 30 minute temp ban when I join a Ranked Solo/Duo Champion Selection and that one idiot chooses an adc when you already have one or a mid etc etc you get my drift. After that 30 min temp I usually try Ranked one more time and if people going to troll or be idiots then w/e I have no choice or it's one hour? temp ban not sure never did twice in a row. Anyways to avoid from people trolling and being complete idiots I came up w/ a system.

- If you don't have at least 3 champions to fulfill each role you can't join Solo/Duo Ranked Que just like you can't join if you don't have 16 champions
- When you go into Champion Selection you choose a role
- Once you choose that role the "system" detects champions you have that are used for that role and the ones that aren't it blocks so you can't choose those and troll or be a complete idiot
- Still have the option of switching champions but instead of switching champions you give the option to switch roles as long as that person has the champion and you have their champion

I know there are probably flaws in this such as what champions are allowed for each role.
Maybe this is making champion selection too strict but it will seriously leave the trolls in their holes.

Input or revisions you guys/gals and Riot see would be awesome to see some because trolls are getting annoying -_-

Thumb up if you like the idea, thumb down if not

Auteyus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2012

omg I love this. Why not solo queue as a role, like you do in wow. This would be amazing!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-08-2012

Three major flaws here, honestly, which is kind of impressive. Most of these types of threads only manage one flaw.

1) "Enforces the meta" is something you'll see in this thread soon. Your idea won't work because of the fact that it enforces the meta. The current meta calls for a bruiser solotop, a wizard mid, an AD carry bottom with a support champion, and a jungler. Just because that's the current meta doesn't mean it always will be, and your idea doesn't have any flexibility in it to allow for alternate strategies.

2) "Enforces the meta" -- Okay, I'm repeating this point because of another point of your system. The system checks to see how many champions I have for a particular role. First of, 3 champions isn't nearly comprehensive enough. They could all three be banned. Assuming your champions can only be played in ONE role (say AP mid), you'd need at least 8 of that role to guarantee you can fulfill the role (6 bans, plus someone on the enemy team picking it). If you're playing some other role though, particularly top/jungle, you need EVEN more because there is so much overlap. Take Nunu, for example, he can be banned, solotop, jungle, or support. But all of this isn't even the real reason I'm pointing out this flaw with your system. The real flaw is: how do we determine what champions are what roles? This horrendously stifles innovation. I believe it was the NA Regionals where Fiddlesticks was getting bans because one of the players demonstrated the power of a Fiddlesticks support. No one would consider Fiddlesticks a support champion, yet your system wouldn't let me try this as it'd be a troll pick in the eyes of the system.

3) The idea of forcing me to switch champs and roles is kind of bogus and takes a lot out of the whole picking-counterpicking strategies. Nunu is a quality pick early because of his flexibility as a top, jungle, or mid. Perhaps I queued as a solotop, but ended up with first pick. Nunu is a solid choice for me because it disguises my intentions of going solotop. But what if the enemy picks Champion X, a clear solotop champion, and our 3rd player (who queued support) can play Nunu support. I want him to pick Champion Y, who is a very strong counter to Champion X, but he can't pick Champ Y because he queued as support. All he can do is pick support champions, and sure we can trade, and there's nothing preventing me from still solotopping with whatever support champion he picked, but I can't trade a viable solotop/support down to the support player on our team for the top champion I really want because the top champion I want is someone like Darius who would never be confused for a support.

Besides, imagine all the QQ when team A gets the player who queued as solotop and solomid in spots 1 and 2, while team B gets their solotop in spots 3 and 4, meaning Team B gets the opportunity to hard counter them. While it would be random and over time, both teams would have the same advantage/disadvantage, there would be QQ, because your system prevents the proper mechanics for picking-counterpicking and avoiding being counterpicked by not first-picking a sololane.

Poondar

09-08-2012

There is no defined roles in league of legends you don't need a support and rad bot or whatever so that's why you can't pic roles. But I see what you are saying and there are always idiots but sometimes it's better they pick a champ they like rather then one they can't play such as a support

Otniel

09-08-2012

Pogo,
First off thank you for pointing out flaws and not just saying stupid stuff like "weeeee" in other threads
I thought about the whole champion thing like you pointed out or "meta" but if someone is going to jungle Darius c'mon..... also you shouldn't be trying out things in a ranked game. Go do that in custom, bots or normal que but not in ranked. Champions already have their roles outlined on their "card" or w/e not sure what to call it. In high elo and invites and stuff they obviously wouldn't need this system as they are full teams not Solo/Duo. Also with the last part who's to say the other team has to know who has what spot in draft order like it is now?
All the things you pointed out are VERY helpful and exactly what I was hoping for

AvengedGaming

08-26-2013

How about a seperate ladder for Meta Position Queing. ? simple. and you select your role, and select 10 champs you want to take to the game, and there you can pick from those 10 to match your team. Keep the soloque ladder the same

Forever IU

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otniel View Post
you shouldn't be trying out things in a ranked game
What if I'm not trying things out? What if I can legit Darius jungle (which I actually can)? There are a lot of diamond players who choose to play "unorthodox (if you will)" champions in different roles which lead to the birth of legitimate strategies such as and not limited to:

Gangplank support - which is actually relatively new compared to the game
Ryze top
Quinn top
Vayne top
Jayce mid
Miss Fortune mid (pre-nerf)
etc.

Other flaws with this idea:

Does not stop people from trollpicking:

Lux, Nidalee, other AP mids as supports because they are now listed as support in the champion select information card.

I'm not saying AP mids are not good supports, but most of the time, people pick nidalee and lux so they can ks with laser/spear. (I personally play a pretty mean lux support, without the ksing)

Riot themselves agreed not to "enforce the meta" as previous posters have said. What this means is, players may choose to play however they want.

Who knows, maybe as the game evolves, proxying will actually become a position in the game? maybe counter jungling will be its own position!.

OoS Morrigan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2013

Here's the major core of your problem though, who decides what's a troll pick? You? Riot? One guy at Riot? My friend plays Viktor and Brand support, and we utterly wreck when he does so. Enemy picks a Vayne? Viktor, Vayne can never even get close enough to hit me without fearing being stunned. Your system would ban my friend and possible myself for such picks. While I feel for the troll picks you endure, I have a better suggestion: Communcation.

I have given up the ADC role to support more times than I can count, despite being second pick, versus last pick. Sometimes it works out horrificly and we get massacered because the guy can't CS or even position. Other times I end up with an ADC who, frankly put, plays better than I would have in the same lane. Communcation and treating one another like actual people, versus names on a screen. There's your solution.