Searching for the ONE champion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucad

09-19-2010

Hey guys, this is lucad and I'm quite new to LoL and to DotA-like-type of gaming so I still have much to learn. I started last week, so I only had the chance to play with the free rotation, but I really had a great time with Gragas and Soraka (I bought for the heals, more on this further).

I'm really mainly a party-player. Soling lanes seems to be a big no for me, so I need a few pointers around.

Aiming at a type of character right now, what should I be looking at? I really enjoy helping the game flow, not necessarily having the most kills, but mobility/survival are my things - be it healing or tanking. I'm thinking about taking a shot on Shen for his taunts and teleport, but I might be missing something better, so...

Any advices are pretty much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2010

Amumu, Shen, and Rammus are the strongest pure tanks. Rammus has a lot of mobility (and is really fun), Shen has the teleport. Singed could also be a character you consider, he can run pretty fast and the flip thing is super irritating to play against / helps your team alot. There are a few tanky dps, but without real initiation skills people can just ignore you.

In terms of support, there are heaps of options. Taric can heal, helps heaps in a lane with his stun, and can push towers well, but isn't all that super mobile. Janna has heaps of utility and stuff for saving her teammates, and moves really, really fast (as a bonus, she can be built for damage too). Sivir pushes really really well, and her ult buffs her team for taking down towers / etc.. Morgana also pushes pretty well, can lane for a long time, and helps those around her quite a bit. Morganna and Janna can work either with someone else in a lane or solo (letting someone on your team jungle, which is really helpful).

tl;dr: try Rammus and Janna next time they are free.

e: and yeah I completely forgot zilean (2 posts down)

gfban

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2010

You should try Taric. He is not so hard to play, can do massive healing, stunning, stacks armor for your whole team and stack damage with his ult. If you like helping a team by healing, you should have fun with him since you'll heal your team ( and buff with your auras) and disable the enemy team.

Now, if you want a tanky - style you should indeed play with Shen. However, i find him a little hard to play ( you take some time to actually get along with his skills and survivability).

Other great tanks are Mordekaiser, Cho Gath ( if built right) , Amumu, Singed, Galio and Rammus.

For other supporters, i'd say Janna, Kayle and Morganna ( if built extremely right) are nice supports too

Gaimcap

09-19-2010

Shen is solid. Someone who kinda fits what you say you like are Janna and Zilean. Janna can absolutely disrupt the flow on teamfights with her hurricane and ultimate and Zilean can permaslow/speed revive, AoE bomb spam to impact them as well. Both a VERY mobile due to their abilities.

Lucad

09-19-2010

Tried playing Morgana for a while but didn't quite get the hang of her skills - same thing happened with Janna, I was unable to mantain survivability. I took a look @ Taric and he did, indeed, seem fun. Rammus on the other hand was my enemy, a few games ago, again looks a champ I'll have to try.

So for now I have a few in mind: Shen, Rammus and Taric. I think I'll take another look at Singed too.

PS.: I think I might have something against casters (Clothy-clothy), although my longest streak was Soraka's. Hurm.

Kroghar

09-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucad View Post
PS.: I think I might have something against casters (Clothy-clothy), although my longest streak was Soraka's. Hurm.
Really sounds like Taric would be the best fit for you from what you've said. Meaty damage soak that can heal himself and allies and support with a stun.

Guess if you really stress Mobility/Survivability, Rammus fits the bill pretty perfectly there. His taunt and Roller Ball are both used to save allies.

There's also Galio, though I've never seen him in a match. But he's meaty, high survivability, has a similar move to Rammus to taunt opponents to attack him, and has a ranged attack that creates a wind tunnel for mobility for you and team mates.

Then there's Kayle who's another meaty/support, can heal and shield team mates and speed them up for escapes, slow opponents, and has a ranged attack. She's also super cheap for IP, so definitely would try her out regardless, like 450 IP, you can get that in 4 matches.

Finally, Alistar is free this week, I'd give him a shot. Tank with an AOE heal and AoE Pop up. Think he doesn't really shine until you're level 12 and can get flash, then he can pop in front of an opponent and knock them back into his allies.

jokull

09-20-2010

kayle is definitely a fantastic hero, but she needs to be built hybrid damage/ap to be fully charged. id ry taric for sure though, hes a great all around hero with tons of support

xpsychedelico

09-20-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=92349

Here's a guide that will help you get the hang of Janna. She's one of the best supports in the game, and very hard to catch due to her passive and Zephyr. You can build her many ways, AP, CDR, Tank, etc. (no DPS please) depending on what your team needs, but note that your playstyle and choice of abilities will change as well.

But otherwise, Kayle is next best according to your description.

Lucad

09-20-2010

Earlier I did some testing w/ Janna again before the rotation happened - did have fun, altough I felt the squishiness I was talking about. Late tonight I played Shen on a friend's account and my expectations managed to hold quite well - dying once on three consecutive won games might mean something.

I'll try Singed when I get the time to read his guides. I saw some in-game footage of him, and the character itself looks somewhat badass on his own. Any further info is well accepted, you guys've been most helpful this far.

PRNmeds

09-20-2010

I would recommend Shen for you. Shen was one of the first champions that I played. I felt he was a lot of fun. He is really healthy, so he doesn't die easily. He also can use his taunt to dash from one place to another. This can be used to get to an enemy quickly, get away, or save a friend! I also felt he was super easy to use, because he doesn't require mana! He is a very friendly champion to new players.