Darius OP? Maybe not

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

I see these claims that Darius is Op and personally I do not agree.
But then looking for evidence i notice that Darius has low win rate overall according to lolmatches.

I also tried to search for specific players that i know are top players and play darius (Sauron, ZaberZ and Infe ed are some examples), I failed to find players that even have a positive win ratio with darius with more than 10 games played. And overall the win ratios i found are average or even poor.

So to people that claim darius is op, what's the basis of those claims?

Demonite10

09-05-2012

I don't think he's OP. He roflstomped me bot lane for almost 10 kills as AP Xin(trollolol sometimes troll builds make great things). Around the time I finished Lichbane and got more vamp, he couldn't ever get my HP low enough for him to execute, summarily leading to me chipping him to death while being unkillable. What I took away from the encounter is that Darry is a squishy slayer from hell, but if you have some tankiness he's not nearly as OP as he seems.

MMKH

09-05-2012

He's not "OP" if you collectively play smart and don't let him have the advantage. But he's such an annoying threat regardless.

FDru

09-05-2012

Darius is not a good bot laner, but wins all engagements anywhere else on the map. The only players who fail with him are the ones who try to build him DPS, and get squished before he can even build up passive stacks.

lbgsloan

09-05-2012

I don't really care either way, as there are worse than Durrius; however champion win rate in a mode where most of the population don't really play seriously isn't a great indication of OP or UP. In fact it's terrible. I mean according to win rates Galio should be a top pick, while Janna and Cass picks are trolling your team.

You're also pulling stats from a patch where he has a freeweek. Go to last patch and he's up there with champions like Wu and Kass. Lolmatches win% are not a good metric for balance.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Fdru I know you hate darius, But if he is OP why any of the 12 top players i checked Not a single have better than their average win rate with darius? I can give you the entire list and check for yourself. He also has worse than average win ratio in all the matches registered in lol matches.
His tournament appearance is little (because almost always banned, but that only tell us what players feel instead of hard data) the little appearance have not been above average either.
There is no indication that he is op, so I ask again what's the basis to declare him op? If he is op, at least top players should achieve better better than average win rate with them, but they do not so. That is not true if you look for champs like Ezreal and kassadin (champs i consider superior to darius).

lbgsloan, the most important is top players, top players are top players darius being on free week or not.

Also if you check top players win ratios, no, galio shouldn't be top pick. However Kassadin and ezreal should (they have awesome win ratios all over the place), and they are. In fact if you look at all top players that play kassadin, kassadin have an insane win ratio, as expected. But darius is mediocre at best.

If darius is that good, top players of dominion should achieve at least average win ratio with them, they achieve way better win ratios with other champs.

MyDeadGrandma

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Darius is not a good bot laner, but wins all engagements anywhere else on the map. The only players who fail with him are the ones who try to build him DPS, and get squished before he can even build up passive stacks.
How is 'I take a dump on every melee hero except yorick' not good?

I hate having a Darius top, much rather have a melee like Irelia/Xin/Kong who can do their damage upfront while building tanky, and actually CC the enemy to stop your squishies from getting owned.

Delayed damage threat/no hard CC = getting ignored and having a dead carry so you can KS with your ulti. Worst designed hero in the game.

MyDeadGrandma

09-05-2012

Water, you cant really rely on winrates as an accurate measure of balance in blind queue.

It's free week Darius. He will always hover around a 50% winrate because there will be a lot of Darius vs Darius matchups.

WaterD103

09-05-2012

however the winrate are based on all wins since darius release.

MyDeadGrandma

09-05-2012

Blindpick, still the same issue. Riot themselves stated winrate isn't a good indicator.

People say Darius is OP because

1. To win solo top lane in SR, you do have to be ridiculously strong and able to bully most heroes 1v1. Darius fits the bill in this respect.

2. The whole true damage ult reset on KB thing. Most people don't understand the hidden cost of this in teamfights, which is why teams with a Darius with a disproportionate K/D ratio often end up losing. To be fair, the cost is a lot smaller on dom than it is in SR; 3 people dead vs 4 people and you win the top point is usually a good thing.