How bad is Morello's Evil Tome for LeBlanc?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chamenas

09-05-2012

Irrelevant post, oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
The gold per 10 on two Kage's do not stack.
Thanks to Corallein for pointing out a little bit of knowledge I didn't know! :3

Here's the post, just so people can know how bad I am, :-P
Okay mathy people... how bad is Morello's Evil Tome for LeBlanc? I know it's not the worst item she can get, but it seems to be something that a lot of high level LeBlancs avoid. Granted, I believe I know the reason for this (which I'll explain in a little bit).

What I'm looking for though is a direct comparison to the other items LeBlanc would prefer over Evil Tome.

The Farm Problem
The reason I suggest even looking at this item is the LeBlanc farm problem. If you're not a high-skilled player, LeBlanc runs into some severe issues even against champions she "counters" simply by the fact that they can push her in lane, back off, and then you run into 3 problems:
1) Forced to farm under turret: This is notoriously difficult and is probably the hardest farm skill to learn. Learning when to last hit is easy. Learning to last hit while being harassed is somewhat difficult, but you learn it in time. Learning to last hit under tower requires a lot of precision and sometimes the proper use of abilities.
2) Unable to Roam: LeBlanc is actually an exceptionally good roamer if her lane is pushed and harassed enough that she knows she can safely leave it. In fact, it's not unusual for some LeBlancs to get boots of mobility to assist with this. However, if your lane is constantly pushed, you cannot roam. If you cannot roam, you're being denied kills and also can't carry your team if they need your help.
3) Unable to Snowball: If the enemy champion is pushing and backing off, then you can't kill them to snowball. This is probably the biggest problem for LeBlanc as anyone with a brain knows not to be too close to her (once they've seen her once or twice), so it's not uncommon to see people push and then hang back. If you can't roam and you can't kill your lane target, you can't snowball gold off of champion deaths.

Double Kage's?
Gp5 is considered suboptimal to build, which is why you don't see people who can farm building Gp5 items very often, unless the item builds into something they want. The only reason to grab a Gp5 item then, is to help assist with a lack of farming which is why supports and some junglers will grab these items.

To help make it a worthy decision, Riot has ensured that some good support and jungle items come out of building Gp5, which is awesome. Kage's is an ability power item and, as such, builds into ability power items. DFG builds from Kage's and is clearly a good build item for LeBlanc, combining both ability power and an additional burst ability which lets LeBlanc take most anyone from 100 to 0 is one set of combos.

However, Kage's can build into two different items, and Morello's Tome is the second item. DFG is clearly better than Kage's. However, supports often build double Gp5 to deal with their farm issues. If your LeBlanc play isn't very high level, then, while you should still be farming better than a support, you may still find yourself severely gold starved. Thus the question becomes:

Is it worth it to go Double Kage's?

The two Kage's will give you +50 ap, which isn't terrible in and of itself. It's not super gold efficient at a whopping 1500 gold for the two (1600g gets you +80ap). However, since you don't need to build either DFG or the Tome until later in the game, both Kage's can help you makeup for lost gold and help you get items like Deathcap, Void Staff, etc... faster before you finish your build.

High vs Low -Level Play
Clearly, for a High-Level player, a second Kage's isn't likely worth it. Even under the most extreme circumstances they'll be able to farm under their turret and make the most of ganks to win back their lane. The goal is to reach this point, even if you do grab double Kage's, eventually you'll realize you don't need both and drop back to one.

This question is aimed mostly at whether or not the extra gold income is better for low-level players who will miss much of their farm under duress. I wish I could answer it, but, sadly, math is not my forte. I'd love to see the opinions of some of the stronger theorycrafters on the forum though.

TL;DR
Is you're not a super high-level player, is it worth it two grab double Kage's and build a DFG and Morello's Evil tome late-game, dropping the second Kage's when your farming gets good enough that you no longer need it? Or does the math simply never support grabbing the second Kage's because Morello's just isn't a good enough item?

Thank you for your time.

corallein

09-05-2012

Chamenas

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
Oh really? Did not know that, makes the whole point useless then. I assume this is true for all double Gp items then. Supports get two different ones, so I guess I can see that being the case. Thanks!