need top help vs range

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theponyfactor

09-05-2012

ok lets say im playing a mele bruiser and the other team has kennen or nidalee (ad) at top..how do i farm? should i just take the aa so i can get last hits or should i trade with them?

mnun

09-05-2012

Just turret farm and ask for ganks :/ not much else

Lord Puppy Fury

09-05-2012

Range has a steep advantage over melee...if your opponent figures it out. If they come on very aggressive, fall back and ask for jungle help. If they're playing cautiously, you may be able to bully/bluff them into backing off and not harassing. Moreover, if I tinkle myself at the thought of, say, Darius, there's a chance you can psych me out. You have to be able to assess their mental state very quickly. Also be aware of the deceptively passive ranged top. More than once I've baited an overly aggressive melee up to my turret vs my range, kited him, and then killed him.

Long story short, get in their heads, poke around and see if you can find anything to use to your advantage.

TheUnburned

09-05-2012

That depends, does your bruiser have a gap closer, like Pantheon? In these cases, you can win every trade just by jumping on them, because you'll deal more damage than them at close range. That'll scare them from trying to get in range to poke you (hence why Pantheon counters Nid, she has to be at long range to use her spears without getting jumped on, and at that point they're easily dodgeable).

If you lack a gap-closer, then the best strategy would be to build tanky based on the kind of damage the enemy top-laner is dealing to you, and stock up on potions. Take the hits and farm. Put a vision ward in/near the river/tri bush (the enemy wont be able to get close enough to you to stop you from taking out their gank ward). Then wait for your jungler to initiate on them (considering they have some form of CC), and you'll win easily.

Try to freeze the lane just outside of your turrets range (common top-lane strategy that takes practice). It puts the enemy in a very dangerous position, especially squishier ranged picks. This will allow you to farm more safely because they'll be afraid of jungle ganks, and of course this fear is justified because you'll be killing their wards and organizing ganks with your jungler, essentially forcing them to back off as long as the lane is pushed.

Yes, potions and vision wards are expensive, but you can buy a potion with the gold from two minions, you'll get gold back for destroying their wards, and just one successful gank earned through these strategies will pay for it all and more.

Míley Dyrus

09-05-2012

Does your melee have a gap closer?
Yes? Then lunge and kill them. Melee will beat ranged in a 1v1 fight
No? Then you've been counterpicked. Hug turret.