Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Black screen and firewall error after character select

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

countcristo

09-07-2012

Quote:
HBLB dynftw:
Big Bump for this.
It happens to me at a lesser extent. I can actually get into the game, however the firewall prompt always comes up first.

This has been happening ever since the Varus patch (no issues before then).
I've also Google'd ways to fix it but nothing has worked (changing firewall/antivirus settings, port forwarding, repairing through the Launcher etc.)

The one thing you can do is wait for the first firewall error prompt, wait about 7 seconds and then click the Retry button. This avoids the second firewall error coming up. However the fact that it even comes up once (delays you about 30 seconds to the loading screen) is an annoyance.

Recently (since Rengar patch), it has gotten even worse in that the whole screen goes black after champ select and alt-tabbing is not possible (you can however, open Task Manager). The firewall prompt still comes up after 20-40 seconds, but until it actually gets to the loading screen, the computer is stuck with a black screen.

Before (Varus Patch -> Rengar Patch), it remained at the LoL splash screen, which would appear above anything else you had open, covering up a tiny amount of space in the middle of the screen. However you could still use the computer until the prompt came up.

Some wrenchmen have tried to help (in other threads) but understandably, they haven't been able to offer anything beyond general connection based advice.
It would be great if a Red could reply to this and acknowledge that this is a problem they are aware / not aware of (whatever the case is).

EDIT: A screenshot showing the Firewall Prompt I've been talking about.

The same thing happens to me. I've actually narrowed the problem down for me, but not sure if it's the same for you. Do you happen to use Verizon DSL and is your modem/router combo model an A90-750015-07? When I use my old modem/router combo from Verizon it works just fine.

Xibbles

09-07-2012

Quote:
countcristo:
The same thing happens to me. I've actually narrowed the problem down for me, but not sure if it's the same for you. Do you happen to use Verizon DSL and is your modem/router combo model an A90-750015-07? When I use my old modem/router combo from Verizon it works just fine.

I'm actually on Verizon DSL myself and I'm using a Westell 7500..

armydude

09-07-2012

This just happen to me! I'm in the middle of a custom game playing aram, I randomly get a dc and it says attempting to reconnect, eventually giving me that bs firewall message over and over. Now that the game has ended I am able to get back on league, but the game I was in doesn't even appear under my match history as if I was never in the game >.>

Scribble Cloud

09-07-2012

Same as armydude, only it was summoner's rift. Can't reconnect, firewall issue, and doesn't even register in match history.

NydusHerMan

09-07-2012

Same as the two above. Mine was ranked, doesn't show up in my match history, and my elo is unchanged

ChoasExperiment

09-07-2012

bump this happened to me during a game... A ranked game mind you!!!

countcristo

09-08-2012

Quote:
Xibbles:
I'm actually on Verizon DSL myself and I'm using a Westell 7500..

Unfortunately, the only solution I've found so far is try using another Westell modem. My old model was a D90-327W15, but it was very flaky in terms of holding a stable connection because it's 7 years old. If you try pinging one of the game servers, you'll probably receive connection time outs. The solution for us is either change our modem/routers or they'd change their game server IPs.

Lastly, I've found a way to sometimes be able to play (but it's not a guarantee) by waiting for that pop up, alt-tabbing to it, and hitting alt+r.

Sniffy Ninja

09-09-2012

happening to me atm at around 1850 elo :/

Azur3 F1am3

09-09-2012

Bump, error still not fixed and i've been reading that it's a problem with the server and not with us as individuals. if it's true then itsucks that there's nothing we can do about it other than keep waiting. going on 2 weeks now. wish someone would do something ><

Rageproblems

09-10-2012

Hello friends I was having this exact same issue for the longest time with AVG remedied by setting AVG to ask me whenever ANYTHING wanted to change connectivity to the internet and just allowing it every time. But recently I upgraded to AVG 2013 and even my old solution did not work. So I went into the advanced options and turned on expert mode, clicked "allow all traffic to/from virtual machines supported by the firewall" and also excepted my entire riot folder and I can now connect to games with no problems at all!! Hopefully this helps out some AVG users out there .