LF General Support Guide and help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BriskTV

09-04-2012

If someone could help provide any of the following.

~Link's

~Stream's

~Youtube Video's

~General Guide's

~Additional Information

~Ward Placement

~Concepts of the Mechanics of a Good Support

If you have any philosophy's on this role please help me out.

Thanks.

~BforBrisk

Lord Puppy Fury

09-05-2012

The long and short of it: that defenseless high priority target strapped to your butt? Yeah, keeping him alive and fed is your personal problem.

Supports mainly come in 3 flavors: sustain, poke, and kill-lane. Soraka is the quintessential sustain support. That lane will be primarily geared towards farming. Sona and Janna are good poke supports. They'll harass to back the enemy off, but zoning is their focus more than setting up kills. Blitz and Leona are kill-lane supports. Blitz's major form of harass - the grab - puts the enemy on top of you. Leona's major form of harass - her E - puts her on top of the enemy. In these lanes it's imperative that the carry follow through to try to secure the kill. Some supports can adapt to the carry and tone of the lane. Taric, Sona, and Alistar all have a heal, so if the lane needs to go to pure farm, they can become sustain supports.

Not all carries pair well with all supports. Ashe, Caitlynn, and Sivir tend to do well in sustain lanes since they don't have a ton of burst. Ezreal, Corki, Graves, and Vayne tend to do well in kill lanes since they have stronger burst and/or really want those early kills. These examples are by no means comprehensive or definite. There's a certain amount of trial and error involved with this, but you'll eventually get a feel for who goes with who.

When doing a draft pick, you need to balance who synergizes with you carry with what you're going up against. If we're going against Blitzcrank, I'm probably not going to bring Soraka out even if I'm laning with Caitlynn. Instead, I'll use Taric. If Blitz lands a grab, I can stun to cancel him out. You also need to consider the needs of your team. If you don't have a tank, Janna's probably not the best choice.

Need here is a very crucial word. Frankly, I don't care what the carry wants. I give them what they need. It's sort of the support's job to be the brains of the operation. Carries tend to have a bit of tunnel vision, both in lobby and in lane. It's your job to be aware of your team, the enemy team, the map, and anything else you can think to be aware of.

In lane, you always need a ward in the river that will let you see the closest exit from the enemy jungle. If you're blue, you may need a ward in the tri-brush. If you're purple, you typically can get away without it. Ward the lane brush situationally. If I'm in control of the brush, I'm effectively the ward. If I'm not in control of the brush, I'll ward if I need to. Against Blitz, you definitely need a ward. Against Janna, I may or may not need to ward.

As for controlling the brush, it's all about who's the biggest ugliest mofo in the lane. It's psychological more than anything. If every time you try to get close the minions you're eating Nunu's snowballs, I can establish dominance and make you afraid. In fact, I can make you so afraid that you don't notice I'm oom and totally bluffing. Assert your authority and you can zone the enemy pair out. You can force their jungler to try to come gank, but with map awareness and wards you shouldn't have a problem. You also need to judge your opponents. If they're not going belly-up, you may want to stale mate your lane more than dominate it. At the same time though, show no fear or you've ceded control to the enemy pair.

In team fights, your job is typically to protect the squishies in the back. If you're Leona or Alistar, you'll probably be more in front initiating and disrupting. If you're Blitz, you'll be trying to grab a high priority target to initiate and quickly kill. Janna, Taric, Soraka, Sona, Lulu, etc. are usually going to want to stun, silence, knock up, do whatever, to any enemies that break through to get to the squishies. If you have a heal, of course you want drop it on whoever needs it. Again, these are guidelines not hard rules.

NullAurelian

09-05-2012

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=6097

Is a great, general resource.
Good luck, have fun, and hope you do well as a support!