Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chun Li

09-04-2012

What about the idea of re-releasing old holiday skins? There was a lot about the Christmas skins from when the game was first released (Silent Night Sona <3) way back when but it's been buried in the threads of GD.

That being said, I suppose that touches the subject of Legacy Skins?

Hige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

wow! thanks for the answer Hippalus I'm loving your honestity here :P I'm looking forward to your ideas and a new experience from Riot games! I'll probably be pitching some bucks in the game too :P it's been way too long of freeloading such an amazing game u.u

Switzer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

First off, I'm very glad that riot has hired you to finally give us someone to talk to about all things pricing.

With regards to IP reductions, I have a small request. Outside of all of the debate/decisions that you are making about IP reductions, about whether or not they are necessary, can you please be open about it? I say this because for the past year and a half, the IP reductions have been extremely inconsistent. It seemed to me like a pattern of "the forums are starting to talk about IP rates/costs again, lets give a few more reductions and they'll shut up about it". Because all of the reductions were unannounced, you guys would just stop after a while. It honestly felt like all you cared about was shutting us up and the worst part for me was that it worked. So whatever you decide to do in the future, can you define a standard for us to hold you to? Like you actually tell us "every month we will reduce a 6300 champ to 4800, and a 4800 to 3150" or something like that, so you can't just stop randomly without explaining why?

I'm not saying that I think this is actually why the reductions have been so irregular, it's just that I don't really care about why you do something, I only care about what actually changes, and your method of IP reductions make you seem like a company that doesn't care and can't be held to any standard.

notrangerjoe

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Personally, I have never thought of LoL as a grind, even when I didn't have enough IP for every champion and rune that I wanted (which was often). I think of grinding as having to repeatedly do something un-fun in order to get to the fun part of the game. Playing LoL with friends, or even in solo queue, IS the fun part of the game - how is that a grind?
Playing what you want is fun. Having to play what you don't want to play in order to play what you want to play is not. When I first started playing Ezreal was free that week. I had tones of fun playing him and played for hours every day that whole week. I wound up with ~2.5k IP. I dismissed the game as a grind fest and didn't play for ~6 months.

If you want people to keep playing League you need to rethink the entire champion buying system. These 37 (35 now?) champions take 3-4 weeks of average playtime to buy. This is an absurd amount of time for what it grants access to. Limiting the number of playable champions for new players is good, but I see no reason why level 30s can't access all (or at least most) champions. Bad players are bad no matter what champions they own and by severely limiting what people can play so they specialize you hurt the community's overall skill level. The higher the cost for content the more discouraging it is for new players.

P.S. runes would still serve no real purpose other than a boring IP sink no matter what they cost. Having 15 more AP or moving 4.5% faster does not make your gameplay experience more enjoyable, especially when compared to having a new champion. The same is true of masteries but at least those don't cost anything. Don't say they're there to customize/specialize/uniqueify your champion, that's what items are for.

konfetarius

09-04-2012

Are you the new guy responsible for handing out the minor tourney RP prizes? Because you are on the ball, if you are him.

ToadKillerDog7

09-04-2012

Quote:
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.
I'm on both sides of this fence.
I own some legacy skins, more than a few even. But on the other hand there are a few, such as Kitty Kat that I'd absolutely love to own.

I personally would have zero problems for legacy skins to be released for a limited time during an event, or even just now and again. It'd give more people a chance to pick up some awesome skins that they may want but couldn't have gotten because they missed them the first time around.

KevinDelMarr

09-04-2012

Quote:
I feel your pain there, but that is definitely a lot to ask. I can't think of many examples in the history of software or gaming where refunds were given to people who purchased a product months or years before a price reduction.
I've got one, Nintendo 3DS. Sure it wasn't a refund, but getting 20 free games at about $5 each for a few million people was pretty neat

Demonik187

09-04-2012

I just want to say... we want more merch. New shirts, posters, etc. We've had the same stuff for years! RIOT PLS

KevinDelMarr

09-04-2012

Quote:
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.
I don't own any event skins, but I would think that having a chance to buy Christamas Legacy Skins around Christmas would be welcome by all. All I know is that as it stands, there is no way for me to get a Christmas Tree Maokai.

Jortalus

09-04-2012

Do you know who writes up the sales? Ever since the sale descriptions have started taking on the mannerisms of various champions, they have been much more pleasant to read. I'd like to thank the person who came up with that idea, as well as the one(or many) who has been writing them all.