Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tenshinmon

09-04-2012

Quick question: Did League players finally crucify MoneyPenny or are you just the new hire?

The MechE

09-04-2012

Alright, this is good. What do you mean by players who pay will be able to leverage their time more effectively though?

Habimaru

09-04-2012

This, I have to disagree with in terms of context, and let me tell you something. I was one of those summoners who took that survey. I specifically remember answering a strong disagreement to the first option, however, that was before I had ever even played a Ranked/Draft-Mode game, and the wording was rather off.

Now, whilst it may not be necessary to spend money in order to become «competitive» in LoL, I do feel like it IS necessary to spend money in order to become «competitive» for Ranked/Draft-Mode Matches if you wish to be able to do it in less than 3 years since first creating your account, otherwise, absolutely not, I feel like I would NOT be able to play Ranked Matches Competitively within less than 3 years time of starting LLegends without spending money in order to accomplish that objective, and I am sure many other people feel the same way, too.

The problem with the poll is the question itself being so open-ended to infinite time, yes, anybody can be competitive if given 1000 years to practice & build up for competitiveness, that is why you got so many "strongly disagree" responses, because you didn't indicate any time-frame nor specifics (like indicating that someone could be ready for Ranked matches in a year from starting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I agree that unlocking all of the content with IP would take a very long time, but I'm not sure that's a reasonable standard for evaluating IP gains. When we surveyed players recently to find out what they like and dislike about LoL, two statements they disagreed very strongly with were: “I feel like I have to spend money to be competitive in LoL” and “I feel like I have to spend money to have fun in LoL”. I think those are better starting points for looking at IP gains.

But that said, the survey did reveal some things we need to fix with IP pricing, and those changes should help with this perception as well.
(Post-Tracking: Habimaru)

Blazgar

09-04-2012

You talked about additional customisation for those who spend RP, does this mean we'll get the option to buy new icons or themes?

TenderLoL

09-04-2012

Quote:

It is not cheap to support the most played game in the world, hire the best game dev talent, and release new content and functionality every week, and we are grateful to those who help us make that happen.

- Hippalus
Say it is not cheap to hire the best game dev talent.....
Then i guess $5,000,000 in cash and prizes tournament isn't cheap either.
I mean riot inc worth $500,000,000 but 420,000,000 after taxes, but is Riot Really worth 500mill?

shaitara

09-04-2012

Any word on when we're going to get a champ released that doesnt cost 6300 ip?

I used to buy a fair amount of RP and managed to get all but like 3 heroes up to like lee sins release I think. End up taking a few extended breaks and with the current ip gains I feel I'll never end up getting caught up without feeding the chinese overlords some more money :/

Also remove IP cap on custom games.

Ohwhynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Quote:
No

This is an interesting idea, but it impacts so few players, it is probably not going to be a high priority anytime soon. However, we do plan on doing a lot more with bundles so that should accomplish much of the same objective.

I've tossed down a few hundred dollars already, and I would have jumped at that.

I think every single person who bought pulse fire Ezreal would toss down the money to do a full unlock. Seriously, I've already spent enough to unlock the game and a few expansions while still paying a years subscription fee. It would be nice to just have it done with. Several games offer a lifetime subscription of one form or another, and I think it would be a lot more successful with league than when say, DCU Online had it.

At this point, I'm pretty sure ~300 dollars can get players pretty close to every champ if they get the collectors edition from amazon, the other pack from the lol store, and then wait for sales on 6300ip champs. They can pretty easily unlock everything else with just normal play. As far as skins and runes...I'd still be okay with earning/paying extra for those. Really the biggest concern for most would be a full champ unlock. Have champ, skins, and some other option as separate unlocks for like $300 a piece, with a cheaper combined bundle option. Bam, easy $300 per person that got PFE, with some going for skins or the other bundle. The select few would want a $800 bundle, because that's when people realize they can just buy 20-80+ games on steam for the same price. Or start a cocaine habit.

FreestyleKneepad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Does this mean Hippalus is the name of the little shop yordle in game?

Bazlyn

09-04-2012

Can we see some other customization options for sale in the future? I'd love to see Nation/Region themed icons/profile banners. It makes me sad that the different in-game powers (Demacia, Ionia, ect) don't actually mean anything. I want to be able to wear and display my Piltover pride on my summoner profile.

Having the nations actually mean something would be awesome, and encourage support/rivalry/whatever between factions. Which, I think, could be fun.

Snuv

09-04-2012

So many 4800s now...